Thread: Just to get this out of the way: AI bonuses

Default Just to get this out of the way: AI bonuses

Normal: Slight penalty to AI economy
    Hard: Small bonuses to AI economy, about 1/2 of the ones on Empire.
    Very Hard: Bigger bonuses to AI economy, equal to the bonuses the AI gets on Hard in Empire.

This information is taken from the Shimazu campaign diary. This is my point:

The AI is not ZOMGUNFAIR cheating. They are not behaving like idiots. They play like good, aggressive human players.

The game is not too hard. You are just not good enough to beat it.

I've already beaten the game on normal as Date and am on my way to beating it on hard as Chokosabe. Please, instead of complaining about the game on these forums, play a lower difficulty level until you can gain the skills neccessary to beat it. This game is not like the other horrendously easy TW games. If M2TW was the Sims, this is Dwarf Fortress. You need to adapt instead of blaming your problems on outside influences.

Default Re: Just to get this out of the way: AI bonuses

My issue with Hard and higher is with the morale bonuses the enemy gets. I hope a mod comes along that can edit the difficulty so I can have a better campaign AI without having to sacrifice the brawling, drawn out fights that make me want to play battle maps.

I can win battles on hard, but it gets repetitive having to win lopsided fights where I outprepare and outmaneuver the enemy (ending the battle before it begins basically), whereas in Normal I can fight more epic battles that make the TW series and a 3d battle map really shine.

I thought we were getting separate difficulties for campaign map/battle but I only see one slider and it has no explanations of what exactly the bonuses are, you are probably right as that was how it went in other TW games, but I'd like to know the exact bonuses and how to mod them if possible.

Go into the options screen once you start a campaign. You can change it from there. I have no idea in hell why CA decided to hide it away though, heh.

Why would the AI normal get slight penalties? Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Apparently their economy/political control was considered too OP by the testers. Jack talked about it in the Shimazu diary.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    When Lusted was doing his Shimazu walkthrough last fall, he mentioned that the campaign AI has been improved so much that it was giving serious challenge to even seasoned players at CA (whatever that group is...). So, they decided to 'dial it back a bit' for normal difficulty.

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Whoa, glad I started off at normal. The Chosokabe are a fairly easy faction, but I've had no shortage of challenges due to other factions maneuverings.

Didn't realize I could change battle difficulty after starting a campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    When Lusted was doing his Shimazu walkthrough last fall, he mentioned that the campaign AI has been improved so much that it was giving serious challenge to even seasoned players at CA (whatever that group is...). So, they decided to 'dial it back a bit' for normal difficulty.
    Oh come on.

Now I feel cheated since the AI is handicapped and my Date campaign is going a lot better than my Hard campaign was.

Granted I learned from my mistakes in the Hard Campaign but still.

Sgt.Valenzuela's Avatar Civitate

ya I can tell a bit was hard at the start. Just became Shogun and captured Kyoto with Shimazu and was able to at least get a Hero Katana unit created before I became Shogun... Good thing is I was limited to only haven 1unit of Hero Katana those guys are definitely a battle changer. Right now I can either take on my ally who is the 2nd strongest faction and win all of japan ( which I can easily do now that all sword wielding units created will be given next experience lvl the red circle and they can be made all in 1turn) or just start a new game so ya.. I'm going to try Hard difficulty see how that works out.

One thing I think is the AI siege lacks just a bit and that's just my opinion. There was a few sieges I should have lost. Also Rebel army's should have a bit more morale bonus... I easily defeated any rebel army's that attacked a castle with just the spawned defenses.

I always want to go toe to toe with the bare naked AI - no special advantages for either side. I figure we each have natural advantages...

Seems strange that the normal difficulty has an AI penalty
    Hip Hop is lying on the side of the road, half dead to itself. Blood scrawled over its mangled flesh, like jazz. Cop car swerves to the side of the road. Hip Hop takes its last breath. The cop scrawls vernacular manslaughter onto a yellow pad, then balls the paper into his hand, deciding he'd rather free-style. "You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to remain silent. And maybe you should have, maybe you should have, before your :wub: manifested.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkeyMon View Post
    Go into the options screen once you start a campaign. You can change it from there. I have no idea in hell why CA decided to hide it away though, heh.
    ^this. you can change the battle difficulty here

so start your hard campaign then change the battle difficulty to normal after you start.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    ^this. you can change the battle difficulty here

so start your hard campaign then change the battle difficulty to normal after you start.
    I noticed this, so excuse me for being dumb but this willl only change the battle difficulty? this is quite appealing to me as id love to play a campaign that was on hard with the battles on normal..
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Joe View Post
    I noticed this, so excuse me for being dumb but this willl only change the battle difficulty? this is quite appealing to me as id love to play a campaign that was on hard with the battles on normal..
    Yes, it does change only the battle difficulty. Achievements can also still be unlocked, at least I did when I played it on Hard/Normal.

One thing I've noticed regarding difficulty levels is that unit prices for the player appear to change as well. On "Normal", unit prices seem about 10% lower than on "Hard"

Can anyone else confirm this?

The only thing I'm concerned about are the alleged magically appearing units, which if true are pretty lame. The magically gained exp for AI on harder levels are also fairly annoying, but I'm willing to give them that advange for a harder game.

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    The only thing I'm concerned about are the alleged magically appearing units, which if true are pretty lame. The magically gained exp for AI on harder levels are also fairly annoying, but I'm willing to give them that advange for a harder game.
    AI does indeed get free stacks of units out of nowhere. I had a ninja nearby an empty castle that Hojo owned. Before I ended the turn Hojo was considered "weak". I skip turn then when it was Hojo's turn, it suddenly got 2 full stacks of units (they didn't move there from off screen... they just popped in there). I checked the diplomacy again and now Hojo was "strong".

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    One thing I've noticed regarding difficulty levels is that unit prices for the player appear to change as well. On "Normal", unit prices seem about 10% lower than on "Hard"

Can anyone else confirm this?
    Yes, its in the files.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkeyMon View Post
    The game is not too hard. You are just not good enough to beat it.

I've already beaten the game on normal as Date and am on my way to beating it on hard as Chokosabe. Please, instead of complaining about the game on these forums, play a lower difficulty level until you can gain the skills neccessary to beat it.
    Play Takeda on legendary and get back to me...

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    Yes, its in the files.
    Is this units appearing thing for particular difficulty levels or throughout?

I so agree with the first post I almost hate coming here because of the spoiled lil kids what idiots, if they cant win it the first day the game sucks this game is great because it can be difficult.