Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Roman troops of the Third Century AD

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Roman troops of Third Century

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    Great! It's good to see news about you and Joar!

And respect the teasers and previews, Are you still working in the preview of the Nubian faction?
    We are, but they will be the Axsumites. I believe our next preview will be the Goths.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    We are, but they will be the Axsumites. I believe our next preview will be the Goths.
    Even better! I have been waiting for the preview of the Goth faction since the anouncement of the mod!!!

And here a little gift, two songs about Gaut (Odin) in which seems Gothic language. Below a description and the video:

Enter the enchanting and mysterious world of the ancient Goths. Aelfric and HallDream present restored texts in the ancient Gothic language, in elder verse form, cleverly merged with authentic Visigothic melodies found in manuscripts preserved in the old Goth-lands of Spain. This breakthrough reconstruction now makes ancient, authentic Gothic music available for the first time ever. The vocals are poems/songs in the Gothic language accompanied by the Germanic harp, penny whistle, drum and synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs-Bk43uRVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTqt_l2BtA

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; May 27, 2017 at 05:33 AM.

I'll just put this here...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My tribute to Guiseppe Rava:

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Great job Master Gaiten! Artwork, this is an artwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I think we all already know the work of this guy:

I like those drawings, I don't know exactly why but I like them, and this is the point which tortured and harassed my mind for a long time: why do I love so much those drawings?
    Yes because the drawings in themselves are not perfect: proportions, graphic sign, perspective, anatomy of bodies and faces, hybrid tecnique and so on, all is pretty brutal in them, without any offense for the author, we could even say that the hand which has drawn those images is in some way a barbaric hand, so, why are those works so attractive for me? Why do I feel them perfectly suited to show the apparence of the Late Roman soldiers? Why am I so enchanted by those drawings? For all these last years, I didn't find any answer to these simple questions, so that I was almost sure they were one of those cases in which you have to face and accept "the inexplicable", i.e. "the mystery", in art.

But today, observing once again the brutally carved faces of the Tetrarchs, still gazing at us from a corner stone of St. Mark's Church in Venice, the truth has struck me like a bolt of a Roman siege ballista: the wonderful drawings we love so much, actually are of the same style of the Tetrarchs!
    Look at the inexpressive fixture of the gaze, at the harsh hardness of the features, the powerful simplified mass of the bodies, look at the simple and firm posture of the characters, the simplified gestures, powerful and evocative, in the drawings and in the sculptures, they are the same!! They belong to the same space/time, they are not like III century works, actually they are III century works! They are brutal, strong and extremely expressive as the century to which they belong!

Actually in art the real name of this style is Expressionism, just because what really counts in this case, it's not the quality of the language itself, but its capacity of expressing powerful contents and the deep feelings of the author and of the public watching the work! Understood? Those drawings are perfect because they are perfect for the subject, they fully adhere to the subject, they depict it so perfectly, that it seems they have been made by the same hand, in the same time and in the same space. We are forced to feel this similarity, better: this identity, so, we watch those drawings in the same way we watch the Tetrarchs: almost mesmerized by their incredible antiquity and by their intense expressionism, that is, by their incredible evocative strenght! This is the truth.

So, to celebrate my discovery, directly from Pinterest, a small selection of masterpieces from this guy, this autentically great Artist:

If this Artist really comes from the East of Europe, this confirms my convinction about the absolute artistic superiority of the Eastern artists, compared to the aphasic flabbiness of our contemporary artistic production. In any Modding section of TWC you can find many examples confirming this truth.

Side note: please don't ask me why it took so much time to me realizing this truth about those wonderful drawings! Actually I love everything that is slow in life: I love slow food, I love slow drinking, I love slow reading, I love slow drawing, I love slow painting, I love slow writing, I love slow sex, I love slow walking, I love slow movies, I love slow games, etc., etc., so, it's evident that I also love being slow in understanding!
    Wonderful drawings! I'm inspired by the work of this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    My tribute to Guiseppe Rava:

Wonderful! My applause!

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    I'll just put this here...

Wonderful! Thanks for the new Legionnaires!

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Beautiful Stuff. The two shield designs are exactly the same as the ones Joar has developed for the Herculianii and Iovianii legions for RO. And while we are on the topic here is a sneak peak of some western legionaries, armed with Hasta and Spatha and have a version of the Burgh Castle helmet

Great, like all his work! I hope I live to see this mod!

News Master Asterion?
    Can we hope to see any new masterpiece coming from your artistic atelier, Master?

News Master Asterion?
    Can we hope to see any new masterpiece coming from your artistic atelier, Master?
    The news is excellent! Village! Clean air! Healthy food! Beautiful nature, good weather! And no computers! Vacation!
    News in the topic! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?703869-General-Discussion/page3

Last edited by asterion2005; June 04, 2017 at 03:30 PM.

I think we all already know the work of this guy:
    Yes, those shield designs are mine... They come from my own imagination, and have, as far as I know, no historical source. I'm happy to inspire someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Yes, those shield designs are mine... They come from my own imagination, and have, as far as I know, no historical source. I'm happy to inspire someone!

Super! Wonderful!

Well, now, here, at the hearth of darkness, a question arises, as simple as the gaze of a child and sharp and dangerous like the blade of a razor: why, Joar, on the shield depicting Iuppiter, are the god's beard and hair black (gray) with brown eyes, while Hercules displays blue eyes and blonde beard? Why do we see such a difference between the two divine phenotypes? Discarded, as childish, too simple and not conceivable, any correlation between the Greek deity Ἡρακλῆς and the apollonian Ὑπερβόρειοι, would it be wrong daring to hypothesize and presume that actually you've used the old Roman tool, known as Assimilation
    ("Interpretatio Romana", Tacitus, Germania, 43,4) between the Germanic deity Þór and the old chap known at these latitudes as Hercules?
    If this is the case, let me say that it's .. it's absolutely great, great and beautiful at least as the shields' design itself! It shows in fact why these Mods are so intimately great.

Well, now, here, at the hearth of darkness, a question arises, as simple as the gaze of a child and sharp and dangerous like the blade of a razor: why, Joar, on the shield depicting Iuppiter, are the god's beard and hair black (gray) with brown eyes, while Hercules displays blue eyes and blonde beard? Why do we see such a difference between the two divine phenotypes? Discarded, as childish, too simple and not conceivable, any correlation between the Greek deity Ἡρακλῆς and the apollonian Ὑπερβόρειοι, would it be wrong daring to hypothesize and presume that actually you've used the old Roman tool, known as Assimilation
    ("Interpretatio Romana", Tacitus, Germania, 43,4) between the Germanic deity Þór and the old chap known at these latitudes as Hercules?
    If this is the case, let me say that it's .. it's absolutely great, great and beautiful at least as the shields' design itself! It shows in fact why these Mods are so intimately great.
    The rather dull answer is: I have no idea, or alternatively, I don't remember. I made them a long, long time ago. But either way, I'm certain it's part of a conspiracy!

The rather dull answer is: I have no idea, or alternatively, I don't remember. I made them a long, long time ago. But either way, I'm certain it's part of a conspiracy!
    The Great Conspiracy! The "Barbarica Conspiratio"! Ammianus is a great writer, especially when he suggests more than saying, he softly whispers a hint, to the reader what remains of the job ..

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Ancients knew form of social networks ... well, sorts of:

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    The Ancients knew form of social networks ... well, sorts of:
    Ahh, I remember the days before Facebook! Things were a lot more complicated back then. When you've made yourself some lunch, and had to pick up the old camera, wait for the pictures to develop, and the drive around to your family and friends houses to show them what you plan to eat, and wait for them to give you the tumbs up! What a hassle it was!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great diorama:

Battle of Lugdunum:

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK
    Battle of Lugdunum: ..

"Yes, yes .. I remember Lugdunum, I remember it as it were yesterday. We were young in those days and proud of ourselves and ready to die for the Res Publica, at least for what we still considered the Res Publica ..
    they were good old times, sadly nobody had told us they were so good, .. as nobody had yet told us that frequently in history the winning side is also the wrong side .."

Image used for gentle concession by Emperor Caesar.

Source