Thread: What's with the gunners?

Default What's with the gunners?

Rant topic. I'm playing a custom siege, trying out different tactics. So, I'm trying the old approach of blowing a hole in the gate and rushing through with the heaviest troops you've got. My heaviest troops, two units of Naginata Samurai, didn't even reach it. Or rather, 1/4 of them did, the rest had been killed or routed by 100 samurai matchlocks, in two volleys.

What the crap?

Default Re: What the :wub: is with the gunners?

I guess it's difficult to miss a wall of men at close range, lol.

But yeah, I personally think they're a bit too powerful.

They're far stronger than they are in Empire and Napoleon, 200 years later.

Taran.'s Avatar Civis

CA has given all gunners sniper training

Выше, выше
    К белым облакам!
    Выше, выше
    К белым облакам!
    Качели тут, Качели там.
    Качели тут, Качели там!
    Ты летишь, легка,
    Со мной всё выше в облака!

Yeah,the kill rate is crazy.

Before Empire, gunners would never ever be useful, because they only ever got 1-2 shots in before clashing.

But there is a reason why people used guns so massively. Partly because recruitement in real life is not only dependant on money, sure, but you'd think that if gunners could only inflict small casualties before contact, the Daimyos would have invested in spearmen, not gunners.

What, in your opinion, would be more balanced?

Also, Naginata may be all about balance, but in this era gunners are armor-piercing, so that won't help them much. Faster units able to get to the walls faster might do it?

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    Before Empire, gunners would never ever be useful, because they only ever got 1-2 shots in before clashing.

But there is a reason why people used guns so massively. Partly because recruitement in real life is not only dependant on money, sure, but you'd think that if gunners could only inflict small casualties before contact, the Daimyos would have invested in spearmen, not gunners.

What, in your opinion, would be more balanced?

Also, Naginata may be all about balance, but in this era gunners are armor-piercing, so that won't help them much. Faster units able to get to the walls faster might do it?
    person saying gunners were useless, i present to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nagashino

oh look, gunners kicking the ass of mounted warriors? and look at me thinking they were useless.

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Masaky View Post
    person saying gunners were useless, i present to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nagashino

oh look, gunners kicking the ass of mounted warriors? and look at me thinking they were useless.
    I was talking about TW games, not history.

If you read on the rest of my post...

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    I was talking about TW games, not history.

If you read on the rest of my post...
    oh, i see sorry!

but gunners were still quite useful in Shogun 1, not that much in vanilla Medieval 2 though.

OP's avatar pretty much tells me how he felt when this happened lol, back on topic, the reason why they are so powerful is because, im guessing, CA wanted the players to realize the destructive potential of gunpowder weapons and if they were like the empire or napoleon equivalent, then there would be no reason to get them if they only kill a few men whereas archers would kill more, and think about it, they were that devastating in the battlefield, even the M2TW guns were kinda ridiculous (feudal swordsman vs mounted camels with guns is not a good choice)
    Last edited by elite_commando; March 16, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by Masaky View Post
    oh, i see sorry!

but gunners were still quite useful in Shogun 1, not that much in vanilla Medieval 2 though.
    In either of those, they seemed buggy. in vanilla medieval 2 they'd endlessly shuffle and never actually shoot their guns.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I am of the mind that ca intentionally ramped up the potency of the gunner for the game to represent how pivotal of a role their presence can have on the field.There are several factors at play here that decided the day on more than one occasion,as the above posted pointed out Nagashino being the most famous.I think they are just fine the way they are forcing the player to take seriously each and every aspect of the enemies forces..