Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Sky/No Water/Campaign Map messed up

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

Default Black Sky/No Water/Campaign Map messed up

So I would like to start by saying I ran the demo perfectly, was very happy with the way things looked and all that jazz.

But as soon as I started up my game I had these issues, the campaign map has what looks like boundry lines popping up super zoomed in occluding my entire visibility in certain camera angles.

Character movement "Cloud" and arrows do not show.

Black sky and game cannot decide weather it is day or night, also reflected in the units, fought a night battle and the banner carriers did not have lights.

No water during naval battles.

I am thinking this is a problem with the Dx9 since dx10 (what I run) was present for me with the demo and again it ran great.

Can someone from CA just straight tell me what this problem is, or even better tell me what I am hoping and that it will be fixed VERY soon.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Black Sky/No Water/Campaign Map messed up

upload your video Card Controllers

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

Here is my DxDiag

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Moved to Shogun: Technical Help
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Updating video drivers didn't help.

Why does everyone always say to do that? It's like one of the worse piece of advice ever, on par with "have you checked your computer is plugged in?"

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    Updating video drivers didn't help.

Why does everyone always say to do that? It's like one of the worse piece of advice ever, on par with "have you checked your computer is plugged in?"
    It's not on par with that at all - updating the drivers often solves issues. Did you uninstall the old driver first - if you didn't that can cause problems. Also, check how hot your card is running because that sounds like an overheating issue to me.

Edit: I did an IT course, and they said that's the first thing they ask people because it's a very common occurrence for someone to phone tech. support when plugging the system in would solve the issue.
    But as soon as I started up my game I had these issues, the campaign map has what looks like boundry lines popping up super zoomed in occluding my entire visibility in certain camera angles.
    Would you be so good as to post screens of that? That sounds very much like artefacting to me, which is a sign of an overheating, or a dying GPU. Do you get anything that looks like this:

Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; March 16, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

I'm having the same issue. I fixed not being able to see water by turning that setting on "high". However, I still get weird lines across my campaign map screen. Not as harsh as the pic above, softer, but still lines across the screen. Can't see movement radius, clouds, or units highlited either. I've got a 9800 GT, dual core wolfdale processor, XP.

Artefacting - check your GPU temperature. If it's high (and you're comfortable doing it), open your system unit case after unplugging it first, clip on an anti static wrist strap and try to remove as much dust as possible from your GPU's fan. I had an overheating GPU once and doing that knocked 20 or 30 degrees off it.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

It worked fine in the demo, for which reason I thought that it was a software thing, but I will try doing that. Probably could use less dust anyway, and I have one of those air-can things. I'll also post pictures if it doesen't work.

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

It worked fine in the demo, for which reason I thought that it was a software thing, but I will try doing that. Probably could use less dust anyway, and I have one of those air-can things. I'll also post pictures if it doesen't work.
    Same, worked in the demo fine, I think it is a Direct X thing with certain Nvidia and ATI cards, I have a Nvidia 9800M GTS, I will try and upload a few screens for you, it is not an overheat and I cleaned out my fans two weeks ago, couldent hurt though!

Note: when you dust out your computer if like me you have an laptop after you take out the battery hit the power button a couple of times to discharge left over juice.

So the first thing to notice is that there are no rivers underneath the bridges.

Here, we can see what a border looks like - that big green gook is when I move my camera around, it seems to be the border jumping up at you instead of being on the map.

Finally, the battle map has black skies.
    Last edited by Xatham; March 16, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

Here is my Steam profile, I uploaded two of the screenshots there. I will not check on graphics drivers I am very wary of this as I want to understand them fully, I hope this is not the case and it seems unlikely as the demo worked perfectly.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...03320201617631

I'd like to add that I tried everything proposed in this thread, to no avail.

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

I'd like to add that I tried everything proposed in this thread, to no avail.
    I am sorry to hear that Xatham, I was just returning here to say that I uninstalled my old driver and got the newest one for my GeForce 9800M GTS and everything is working great as well as a significant performance boost.

I would go with trying to update again, and be sure to set a reset point as well as uninstall the driver you have after downloading a new one, then install the new one. It worked for me and it may work for you
    Best of luck.

Is there something special to de-installing drivers/re-installing them than to click "de-install" in the driver manager, then install the latest driver from the card company when I reboot? Because I've tried it 3 times now, and it's not working.

Windows keeps automatically installing a "Default VGA drivers" when I de-install my drivers, though. Maybe that's it? But there's no way I can cancel that, and every thing I tried on the internet didn't work to make it stop.

Thoughts? I have an NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT btw

I can't believe it, it finally works! I saw a link on how to get NVIDIA to tell me what the latest drivers is from another thread, which wasn't the "geforce 8800GT drivers" I downloaded from nvidia but some kind of wierd name... so I was deleting and re-installing an old driver over and over, it seems -_- (or at best an uncomplete one).

Feel like such an idiot, but I can confirm : it's simply a drivers issue, and not some kind of black voodoo with my machine.

TotalWarker's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi guys, im having the exact same problem and very glad there is a solution! (I love these forums).

Now im pretty appaling when it comes to technical stuff and would greatly appreaciate it if someone could help me out with a bit of advice on how to do all this. I have an 8800 GTS. How do I uninstall and reinstall these drivers (where do I look, yes im a mug) and where would I need to go to find when the lastest ones are. Very sorry for being such a steaming pile of noob and many thanks in advance for any help.

Jase

I went to Nvidia's website for the new drivers for my 9800 GT and they recommended just running the file, instead of uninstalling the old driver. I downloaded it before leaving for work, so when I get home tonight we'll see if it fixes all the campaign map graphic bugs.

HAHA! The video driver update worked! The game looks 10 times better now! It fixed every single issue I was having with the graphics...

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86 View Post
    I went to Nvidia's website for the new drivers for my 9800 GT and they recommended just running the file, instead of uninstalling the old driver. I downloaded it before leaving for work, so when I get home tonight we'll see if it fixes all the campaign map graphic bugs.
    With nVidia it's best to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. I even do a reboot between the uninstall and reinstall (you don't always have a choice).

I started using nVidia graphic cards a number of years ago. Previously I had ATI cards (before they were bought out by AMD). ATI used ot allow the new drivers to replace the old ones without uninstalling. That is not the case with nVidia.

Quite often graphic problems can be caused by using old drivers - which is why the first thing peope suggest to people with graphic problems is to update them. However, there are occasions where new drivers cause problems (for both nVidia and ATI/AMD).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast