Thread: should I buy win7?

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default should I buy win7?

Should I buy win7 to enjoy dx10? I have a radeon hd 4870 graphic card.

Default Re: should I buy win7?

If your running XP then yes you can not have DX10 or DX11. There are some way around DX10 in XP, however, they are not stable at the moment. I would recommend to you to upgrade to Windows 7 instead of going to vista. Performance has been clearly documented to be better in 7. So yes if you want to run DX10 stable, go to Windows 7, it also allows you to be ready when you want to upgrade to DX11.

The game's not going to support DX10/DX11 for another month anyway, so there's no hurry.

but is dx10/11 support worth aditional 100 bucks?

I wouldn't think so, others would disagree. However, that's not the only reason for upgrading... not the least of which is the fact that XP is 11 years old now. Driver support is waning. Also the UI for Windows 7 is far superior IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    but is dx10/11 support worth aditional 100 bucks?
    You gain some shading and visual performance with DX10 over DX9. If your playing Shogun 2 now and are happy, no I would not upgrade at this time. DX10 and DX11 are not in Shogun right now anyway, won't be available until patched, per developer within 4 weeks. Personally, I think forcing AA on through my Nvidia controll panel does the trick enough to make me very happy with what I see right now.

If it were me no I would not spend 100 dollars to upgrade right now, rather I'd keep saving my money and do a full upgrade to DX11 when the new hardware comes out near the end of the year. Do a search on google for comparison screenshots of dx9 vs dx10. See if the screenshots are enough to make you upgrade.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Moved to Shogun: Technical Help
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Yes!!! Windows 7 is superior to Windows XP in every aspect, so there is every reason to update your computer OS.

OK thanks everybody! I checked out the screenshots and while there certainly is a difference I don't think it'll be huge in a game like Shogun2. I'll probably upgrade to win7 in a few months but I'm not in a hurry.