Thread: strategical help!

Icon4 strategical help!

Hi all... i just started playing shogun and im not doing well at all in my campaigns... i tried date, chosokabe, and a few but all have ended in disaster (dont ask me how coz its embarrasing) but a rough idea is that i run into financial dificulties and so i disband parts of my army and them boom out of nowhere huge ai stack comes and takes my castle leaving me with less income and then it repeats itself till i loose... the bigest "Empire" i ever made was 3 fortreses... so im asking for some help to get started and stuff.... looking into re-trying the chosokabe faction........ so would any of you kind gentlemen and awesome strategists offer some advice.. please?

Default Re: strategical help!

Message from the IT crowd:
    Have you tried to turn it off than on again?

I am still waiting for the game, but I would recommend you to use the archers pre-battle deployable (and indestructible) adamantium-screen, which can seriously disrupt the enemies' formation. Worked in demo like a level 9. charm.

It may help with the battles, and therefore you will have less trouble with the ladies, errrr, campaign.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Moved to Shogun: Gameplay & Strategy
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Build as many farms and rice paddies as you can, be more on the defensive for the first few turns, improve trade with other factions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mostquito View Post
    Message from the IT crowd:
    Have you tried to turn it off than on again?
    im not quite sure what you mean by that.......

and to the rest will be sure to try it out. thanks for the great response

any1 else who has some kik@ss strategies are free to post them for me!

thanks again!

As the Date I would build a trade fleet early and fill up the trade port near your starting position before anyone else. Also getting improving farms (unlocking them via Chi tree, after you have gotten the first Bushido which increase Defense and Attack).

Doing that will allow you to get a decent army with some Samurai. Keep a few Ashigaru spearmen for fodder and flank protection, and I mainly use Ashigaru bowmen especially at the start to keep army upkeep low.

I am playing as Date now and doing well. It was tough in the beginning. I would suggest making an ally early on, preferably one on the border of your enemies. Scout with one cheap unit ahead of the army so you don't walk yours too far into enemy territory. It helps when trying to avoid being ambushed by full stacks. I play defensively until I know I have the advantage. Lead them into your territory. Wipe out their attacking army. Your troops will replenish while you head towards their territory to retaliate.

With my current campaign, I built up one army and cleared out the rebels first. Then I scouted west. I lured a good portion of the red clan's army you start at war with into my territory. After defeating that stack I took Uzo easily, then concentrated my army on their remaining province. One large battle decided it.

Following that, I took advantage of a situation with Takeda and Hojo. Allied with takeda and another minor clan while they were at war with Hojo. I was able to swoop in from behind and take 3 Hojo providence easily forcing them to retreat westward.

I am in a bit of a diplomacy pickle now because I have two large clans on my borders in my expansion path that I am allied too and both are allied to each other but my lands are secure and I can focus on infrastructure for a bit before making a move.

Silly Wizard's Avatar Foederatus

Having only played with mild success as Chosokabe I cannot advise in regards to Date. Getting back to Choso try putting the majority of your units under a general with a financial comission as it helps reduce unit upkeep a good deal. Hold off on troop buildup after claiming the settlement of the clan directly to your north (whose name eludes me) and put that money into rice paddies as S. warrior said earlier. Also make an effort to upgrade your ports to trade route levels and send out a ship to explore the islands around you in hopes of securing trade agreements. When ready try sending a large stack of troops around to the far side of the island as the settlement there is usually very poorly defended. If you wait long enough thw two remaining factions will weaken each other leaving you to swoop in and snatch their territories rather easily. From there scout out weak coastal settlements with ninja and pick what looks to be your best available target.

Primicerius

careful about that ninja tip. I had my ninja being serially discovered (and, as a result, locked with no move points) in one of the coastal provinces. I could not move the bugger until I took the province.

Thanks for all of those who replied! will be sure to try them out in a few seconds!

any other kind, loving, and caring strategist that wants to help is most warmly welcomed