Thread: Thorized Review/AAR -- I just lost my first serious TW Campaign...ever.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Default Thorized Review/AAR -- I just lost my first serious TW Campaign...ever.

First, Gamestop is the best. In store pickup was a breeze, and the guys there are friendly as hell.

First and foremost, installation was a ing itch. It seriously was. Bad weather here, so the internet downed several times today, and one of those times happened to be while I was trying to load the game. Then when I finally did get the game in, a last minute emergency had me making calls to the doctor and then to the pharmacist for my sister (another 2.5 hours). Thankfully we didn't have to drive in.

SOOOOOO, fully four hours after getting home with the game, I was finally able to launch into my first campaign.

I choose the Uesugi...and Kenshin bears an uncanny resemblance to a crinkly nun . At first glance, the campaign seems tiny. I decide to wade in at Normal difficulty.

I must say, the width of the Japan is hardly two clicks, but this is very deceiving, as the amount of 'stuff' keeping you busy makes the tiny island feel quite large.

First things first, I had to put down the initial rebel army in my province. Battle was a breeze, as I expected it to be, a few yaris on there side, a few on mine, and that was that. At this point, I'm not only thinking 'been there done that' with the campaign map, but with the battles as well.

Several turns later (about 10), I got my first 'real' army, which is actually only comprised of yaris and bows, and two samurai yaris.

This is where things get tricky. The island to my north was a very tempting taget, so I bide my time to build a 'fleet' of several ships, two light buns and one mid.

Turtling, however, I am now realizing was a very bad idea. I notice that the clans are expanding much faster than I expected, and meanwhile I've turtled on my one province. My one and half stack army is starting to look very meager, very fast.

To make matters worse, my vassal has decided to, somehow, get both the Hojo and another minor clan whose name escapes me, to declare war upon them.

Nonetheless, I have now invested a lot of time into striking at golden island, and I load my crinkly Kenshin in my Navy, and send the rest of my arm into my vassal's terriotry to camp out at their capitol in the event that the Hojo and their allies actually do make that yet mysterious invasion.

Two turns later, Kenshin is besiegeing the golden island (hanmon).

Our forces are evenly matched, and therefore the defenders sally forth. The proceeding battle goes very badly. The AI, it seems, it quite a capable attacerk, even if thier advances resembled something akin to an 'ordered blob.'

Do not let the AI's lack of 'linear tactics' fool you.

I did, and Kenshin had his head handed to him, quite literally. I lose the battle, and Kenshin is dead.

Three turns later I am still licking my wounds, and my camping army finds itself defending against a rather large Hojo force.

First Allied battle! Yay!

Not so fast. The Hojo army is equipped with several Samurai units. My force consists of just archers and yaris. My allies are no better off, but we outnumber them. Needless to say, we get pwned very, very badly.

At this point, my clan is powerless, the Great Clans, and a few minor ones, have expanded considerably, as it now around turn 25-30. I have just one province, and no army.

The Hojo then do something very much surprises me. They continue through my vassals terriotry into mine. They must realize that at this point I am indeed the weaker target.

At this point I call a seppuku, and let them take Echigo.

Good game. Very good game.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

YD23's Avatar Cторожевая Cобака.

Default Re: Thorized Review/AAR -- I just lost my first serious TW Campaign...ever.

Moved to player reviews.

Have to agree with you, very good game indeed. I myself, have lost a campaign already. -____- But I think that's good!

Default Re: Thorized Review/AAR -- I just lost my first serious TW Campaign...ever.

Awesome!

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Great description It sounds quite similar to my campaigns. I have started 3 campaigns and I have lost all 3.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    I did, and Kenshin had his head handed to him, quite literally. I lose the battle, and Kenshin is dead.
    I choosed Uesugi as my first campaign too. I quit and started a new one after kenshin died assulting a castle.

Nice review, you made a few very good points
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

Nice read Thor, I myself got molested my very first campaign I was playing as Tokugawa and sent my starting army after some tiny force that was in my land little did I know a full force was behind them and they marched right to my capital and took it. I just ended up starting a new campaign as Hojo and I'm whooping a$# so far .

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Great write up. Here's my own experience thus far:

After a long play session I'm gonna go ahead and say this game is really good.

I too started as the Shimazu, since they get good katana troops and start on the far western island Kyushu (i.e. protected location) I figure they would be a good place to start.

I was waging war with the Shoni clan (I had wiped out everyone else on the island) for complete control of the island when all the sudden an uber elite army lead by a 4 star general suddenly landed on my shores. They came from the Hatano Clan, who had also brought their massive navy with them. They immediatly sieged my just captured city of Bungo. To top it off, that same turn I had a Christian rebellion spring up on the Western side of the island. All my armies were now in the far north of the island still fighting the remains of the Shoni, and to top it all off I had absolutely no military navy forces, and the Hatano were running wild on the ocean and blockading a view of my key ports.

Basically, I was caught with my pants down and in major trouble.... I don't think I've ever lost a campaign in any vanilla total war, but it seemed about to happen.

But all was not lost. The Hatano besieged my castle, and even though they suceeded in taking it, I had killed off so many of their troops in the process (plus their 4 star general), it was quite the pyrrhic victory for them.

I lost my city of Higo to the Christan rebels, but I could really do nothing about it, being strapped for cash and lacking an army that could come to the aid.

With my clan leader I managed to smash the last of the Shoni forces in the north, but sadly I lost my Daimyo in the final battle. Losing a 6 star general with nice abilities really hurt. I sent the new Daimyo to mop up the rest of the Hatano land forces.

Eventually I managed to build up a big navy stack, and with that I beat the Hatano navy. Eventually I was able to recapture Higo from the Christians.

After that followed a really tough era of me juggling massive unrest due to my conquered lands and religion. I finally realized " hey maybe I should convert to Christianity since my lands are majority of that due to all the foreign trade". Once I made the switch over, things went much smoother.

After all that war, I've now settled into a long period of heavy building. My provinces are now raking in the cash, I have a decent navy, complete control of my island and thus relative safety, and I'm starting to build up an super stack of elite units.

Now, I need to consider my next step.

The Chokosabe completely hold the island to my east, Shikoku. Logically, that would probably be the best place to expand to next, but they are practically the only clan right now that likes me, so that option is out. I'm hesistant to attack any Honshu clan because the big island is so full of big and powerful clans. The other option is going all the way to the Eastern coast of Honshu island, where there are several rebel provinces.

Attacking there would be nice because it won't piss off any of the powerful clans, and it will give me a foothold on the main island, and also be relatively easy to defend, not being in the middle. The problem of course is that it's the furthest place in the game away from my home island, which obviously could be problematic if the hits the fan.

Alternatively, I could just say to hell with it and attack my hated rivals the Hatano, in the middle of Honshu island.

What say you?

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

It is nice to see you have got the game at last, Thoragoros. Enjoy!

Rotaugen2009's Avatar Vicarius

I finally got this installed and started playing. Based on some reviews, it looks like a lot of people with a large amount of TW experience have been actually losing campaigns. Very cool. My initial impression is that they sped up the units to cover some AI faults, but hey, it makes me have to think quickly. It's too early to say for sure, but this game is looking like a winner so far with my limited 2 hours of play time.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Pedro!

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaugen2009 View Post
    I finally got this installed and started playing. Based on some reviews, it looks like a lot of people with a large amount of TW experience have been actually losing campaigns. Very cool. My initial impression is that they sped up the units to cover some AI faults, but hey, it makes me have to think quickly. It's too early to say for sure, but this game is looking like a winner so far with my limited 2 hours of play time.
    It sickens me that you take pleasure in my dishonor and defeat . But guess what, it doesn't matter because
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.