Thread: So about modding

Default So about modding

Now from what i've been told from people who are in the modding community is that this game is going to be a pain to mod, because of the binary files.....

Now

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/15/shog...pire-says-dev/

The "devs" say it will be super ultra modifiable out of the box; o rly because i can't seem to find the SDK.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: So about modding

Moved to the modding forum.

PM me with any questions.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; March 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

It's a misleading article I'm afraid. Modding out of the box will be easier because we have a few tools that only need to be updated, not created from scratch.

When ETW was released, nothing was known about it, so obviously when a game where its engine is fairly well known is released later down the line, I.e Shogun, it will be easier because there has been all this time to sort out some tools.

It still takes nothing away from the fact that real modding is still impossible, alot of the big headway made into the files we need for fullscale modding has now been wiped clean as CA now use many new file types (like those of models) in place of old ones that we'd gotten fairly far into making moddable.

If CA do create any 'workshops' they'll only be teaching noobs how to mod, not allowing the 'big' modders to mod the big stuff.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

What Mitch said.

In reality, STW2 doesn't look to be any more or less moddable than NTW, provided we get the PFM back up and running.

As for hexing, it is doable at the moment, am going through a number of files that way, so in that regard CA is correct. You can hex edit the files, but I (as well as most other modders) certainly don't plan on making any signifigant mods purely via hexing.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

STW2 looks promising for Modding seems that a lot of stuff that was hidden in esf is now in the db tables plus a fair bit of new stuff.

so yes once the tools evolve STW2 looks pretty mod friendly.