Thread: Huge FPS boost in Melee while zoomed in

Default Huge FPS boost in Melee while zoomed in

I was getting around 15ish FPS while zoomed in no matter how many units were engaged in melee. I was getting really plssed off, but i was looking through twcenter tech forums. Found out if you turn down unit detail to medium it will give you a HUGE FPS boost. Now i am getting an average of around 40ish FPS while in battle and this is with nearly 1k vs 1k troops with buildings being lit on fire. Sometimes it climbs even more then that.

I have a 2500k 3.8ghz sandy bridge, overclocked 560gtx, 4gigs of ram, win7. Also I don't even notice a graphic drop off with the unit detail being lowered....all i know is that it runs more then double my FPS then before!

Here are my settings, now I have AF set to max and unit detail to medium. I am going to try to check some of the other things and see how that goes. I know depth of field is an FPS killer for me, so gonna lay off of that one.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...B17F2B794F150/

Default Re: Huge FPS boost in Melee while zoomed in

I find that it can be hitchish sometimes, and that medium is a looong way from ultra. I had thought to play on medium to be super smooth, but the guys look way better on ultra, and it still plays fairly smooth.

Does turning off Hardware Shadows improve performance?

you turned down a graphic setting to a lower setting and you got more FPS. a miracle. truly a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by jpanside View Post
    you turned down a graphic setting to a lower setting and you got more FPS. a miracle. truly a miracle.
    I'm just asking because, I've read that turning ON hardware shadows improves performance if you have a good graphics card.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by raven90 View Post
    I'm just asking because, I've read that turning ON hardware shadows improves performance if you have a good graphics card.
    I thought that only applies to DX11?

^ This.

What's the difference between "High" and "Ultra" Unit Detail?
    CA needs competition.

I had the same problem with zooming in while playing the demo. Everything outside of Melee ran fine on the Higher settings. One day, I said screw it and turned everything down, hoping to get that Melee frame-rate up. It worked, and I never bothered turning anything back up (The game also looked ass-terrible.)

This gives me hope that in the full game I'll just need to set the unit detail to medium and still be able to enjoy a gorgeous Campaign map.

What res are you playing OP?

I was considering upgrading my 4890 for this game, but I see the GTX 560 doesn't perform that much better than my card.

Quote Originally Posted by jpanside View Post
    You must be new to PC gaming. With every game, there are always settings that massively increase fps for an almost non-noticeable decrease in visual quality... SSAO?

You must be new to PC gaming. With every game, there are always settings that massively increase fps for an almost non-noticeable decrease in visual quality... SSAO?
    And LoD. Hence my question.
    CA needs competition.

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    ^ This.

I need to see more units and test.

But it depends on where you slow down. in past total war games, unit detail was the amount of detail that would still show on units when you zoomed out far. It was capped at a certain distance, so when you zoomed in real close, performance would actually increase.

For this game, unit detail may continue to increase as you get in real close, so that is why performance suffers.

what kind of CPU do u have? single core? dual core? etc. cause i have an 8 core processor with a graphics card thats about 4-5 yrs old and im able to run ETW on max with ultra units settings and on fast-forward (this one, >>, not this one, >) with little lag. usually its the CPU that does the majority of the work for game

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    ^ This.

In ETW one of the main differences was the difference in number of death animations and the distance at which sprites show up.

Same problem here. Great game but it's sad to report It has worse graphics (at least until we get AA) than NTW and (very) lower performances...