Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Empires

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default The Age of Empires

The only requirements are that it fits on the map and doesn't have whacked out technology (no guns or death stars).
    The year will start at 1,000 BC, after the fall of Mycenae, when the Dorians and Ionians are first starting to start cities.
    Already made factions are below:
    Sparta (NPC, will run a greek alliance thing)-Me, as ruler of the NPC
    Athens
    Argos-Blackwolf
    Thebes
    Corinth
    Crete-Bonemarrow
    Wilusa
    Etruscan Cities-Frederich Barbarossa

Koinon Hellenon:
    Sparta-Me, as master-of-NPC
    Athens
    Argos-Blackwolf
    Thebes
    Corinth

The rules of faction creation are essentially nil, besides, as above, be logical for 1,000 BC. Heck, you can be Irish, Chinese, Greek, Mayan, I DON'T CARE! I just ask that you are logical for the time period.

This is a huge WIP, I just want to know if anyone would care for this.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: The Age of Empires

swooped

Damn you.

As I've said, you make your own info, just make sure it's sensible, so here's an example:
    Sparta

Capital: Sparta

Economy:200% + 10% each turn from each Koinon member

(gathers tribute for membership)

Characters:

Basilios Agamemnon
    Relationship Status: Single
    Stats: Command - 10, Admin. - 10, Authority - 20, Influence - 10
    Traits:
    King of Sparta +10 Authority
    King of Hellas +10 Authority, +10 Influence

Diplomatic Situation:

Allied:
    Athens
    Thebes
    Crete
    Corinth
    Argos (Unfriendly)

Friendly:
    None

Neutral:
    None

Unfriendly:
    None

At War:
    None

Head of the Koinon Hellenon, so if this facton declares war all the rest will be expected to follow suit.

I know it's historically inaccurate, but as I've said I don't care that much.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; March 19, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

I know, I steal too much from DoM. I liked how it was run.

Map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read:

Factions:
    Red - Sparta
    Light Grey - Carthage
    Grey - Argos
    Light Blue - Athens
    Purple - Corinth
    Dark Red - Etruscans
    Green - Wilusa
    Darker Green - Celtic Tribes (NPC)
    Very Dark Green - Picts (NPC)
    Blue - Belgic and Briton Tribes (NPC)
    Damn, forgot Thebes. Can you put it on MMM? Also fix my lines?

Note: When claiming land for your factions, please claim a reasonable amount of land for a Bronze/Iron Age faction.

Faction creation:

First, please apply here and pick a province on the game map. Then, create a faction thread in the Diplomacy section. You can build your faction to be whatever you want it to be and craft its history from nothing - just be realistic (this is 1000 BC, after all) and please don't build a Mary Suetopia. You can also raise your starting army there. All factions start out with 100% economy and 0% Faith. Please keep track of your own military, Faith and economy.

When creating a faction, be sure to include at most three royal family members/government ministers if you don't have a monarchy/whatever the rulers and important court figures of your civilization are called.

To expand your faction, claim a region (be reasonable now) and build a city there (-10% econ, 1 turn). You can name the city whatever you want or even leave it nameless.

Your initial decisions will be based on the kind of faction you have - for example, a theocratic monarchy will get a different set of questions than a nomadic tribe or a merchant oligarchy.

Important things to have in your faction thread:

-Flag (optional, actually, but it'd be nice )
    -Government
    -Three royals/ministers/whatever your leaders are called
    -Military stats
    -Buildings (note: all factions automatically gain Wooden Walls for their capital, free of charge)
    -The present turn's econ (everyone starts at 100%, subtract whatever you've recruited & built from this)
    -'Faith Meter' (everyone starts at 0%, change this as you build Faith structures)
    -Brief history & cultural description (I don't need you to write a novel, but please don't write a pamphlet either )

Military rules:

Soldiers are purchased in units of 100 each.

Unit types:
    Light infantry - slingers, scouts, javelineers etc. - 1% of your econ
    Heavy infantry - swordsmen, macemen, axemen etc. - 1% of your econ
    Spear infantry - spearmen, pikemen etc. - 1% of your econ
    Archers - self-explanatory - 1% of your econ
    Light cavalry - scouts, mounted militia etc. - 5% of your econ
    Heavy cavalry - nobles, shock troopers etc. - 5% of your econ
    Chariots - the tanks of the Bronze Age, a combination of horse archers & heavy cavalry - 10% of your econ
    Siege engine - rams, catapults etc. - 8% of your econ, 2 turns
    Siege ladder - self-explanatory - 1% of your econ, 1 turn
    Bireme - 2% of your econ, 2 turns
    Trireme - 4% of your econ, 2 turns
    Quadrireme - 6% of your econ, 3 turns
    Quinquereme - 10% of your econ, 3 turns

Training:
    Militia - 1 turn - 0% econ
    Regular - 2 turns - 2% econ
    Elite - 4 turns - 4% econ

Fortifications:
    Wooden Walls - 1 turn - 5% of your econ
    Stone Walls - 3 turns - 10% of your econ
    Great Stone Walls - 6 turns - 15% of your econ

You may occasionally be approached by a mercenary captain. Mercenaries come in all kinds and sizes - some may be small bands of charioteers, others masses of barbarian light infantry and archers. You may even have a mercenary Magus turn up at your court at some point. Of course, their price will vary widely as well - the aforementioned barbarian horde may ask for a small sum of gold or some land to settle in, while a dark sorcerer may demand a huge sum of gold or the construction of a Dark Cathedral.

Movement rules: Armies move at a pace of 1 province/RL day, unless you have attached a character with an ability/Artifact to allow faster movement to that army. (these rules will not apply to units on Quests)

When going to war, please avoid gangbanging - the tactic of bringing a massive alliance network into a war against one faction. Two-on-one is fine, three-on-one will need some work to justify, and four-on-one or more is unacceptable. Gangbanging factions will suffer penalties.

Economic rules:

Like the BG games, your economy will be measured with a percentage. All civilizations begin at 100%. Training units, constructing religious buildings and the effects of magic will knock that down; meaningful economic reforms, trade with other civs, the development of infrastructure and certain magical spells can raise that.

Your economy will naturally strengthen every turn, unless of course you are struck with magic or something else that harms your economy, such as a rampaging enemy army.

Note that trade will always increase your econ by 5%. However, you can be blockaded, and if either side cancels the trade agreement then both sides lose this bonus.

Lastly, note that it is not advisable to have your economy fall below 50%, at which point you will begin to suffer from shortages and riots (which will, of course, only get worse the further away you fall from that 50% mark).

What affects your economy's growth at the end of every turn:
    5% - capital
    1% - every other province you have
    1-5% - meaningful economic reform (coinage, tax reform etc)
    2% - infrastructure development (once per province only)
    5% - per trade agreement

Faith rules:

Faith can move men to great things. Of course, you can choose not to align with anything and instead rely on your own human strength and ingenuity.
    In this alternate history IH, Jesus came early, so there's Christian stuff too.

Faith buildings:

Christian Buildings:
    Church: 5% Faith, -5% econ, 2 turns
    Cathedral: 10% Faith, -10% econ, 4 turns
    Basilica: 15% Faith, -15% econ, 6 turns
    Pagan Buildings:
    Temple: 5% Faith, -5% econ, 2 turns
    Henge: 10% Faith, -10% econ, 4 turns
    Big Temple: 15% Faith, -15% econ, 6 turns

Faith effects:
    Your peeps are happy.

Espionage rules:

Why bother sending hundreds or thousands of men to their deaths, when the war you are involved in can end with only one life taken? Espionage can allow you to open city gates just before a siege, damage the enemy's harvest, poison their water supplies, provide intelligence on their movements or take out their leaders.

These characters come in two flavors: spies and assassins. Spies can sneak into enemy cities and open their gates when your army arrives, knock out between 1% and 10% of their economy and find enemy armies or characters. Assassins, as you can guess, are used to kill enemy characters - or, perhaps, mythological beings.

Both spies and assassins require 4 turns' training time and 10% of your economy. Mercenary spies and assassins may randomly approach your court, but like other mercenaries, their price will vary wildly.

RP & Quest rules:

In the RP subforum, you can roleplay whatever you want concerning your faction - court intrigues, assassination & spying missions, etc. However, please keep diplomacy to the diplomacy subforum. Naturally, you will be expected to refrain from Godmoding - controlling someone else's characters.

To go on a Quest to kill, capture, negotiate with or drive out a mythological being, first you must organize a 'band of adventurers' - a 100-strong unit of soldiers. You can pick multiple types of units, including Magi, for this warband.

Next, please open a thread in the RP subforum. From there, we will start your adventurers' journey...

Koinon Hellenon Rules:
    In this world, there is confederation of Greek city-states known as the Koinon Hellenon. It is a military and economic union, and the members must pay dues in return for the Koinon's defensive forces.

Fee: 10% Econ/Turn
    Army: 20% of each nation's army is taken and used by the Koinon in times of need. If you volunteer to provide more, then your support within the Koinon will rise.
    Rules:
    1. You must go to war if the Koinon declares war, or you will be kicked out and war will be declared upon you.
    2. If you declare war, you may atttempt to enlist the aid of the Koinon, where the heads of the members will vote on the proposal.
    3. The people also have a voice. Each faction may have two Boule members, who give speeches (that you RP) to convince the population of the Koinon to vote for a law or declaration. If a faction has way more support than resistance, and the leader still votes no, then it may incite revolt (or vice versa).
    4. To join, you must be at least partially Greek or Greco-Italic, pay 30% econ, and the members must vote. Note that if you have fought the Koinon then you will not be accepted unless a radical change of government takes place.

Other League Rules
    1. You must have at least 2 members willing.
    2. You must be about the same culture.
    3. You must PM me the plans, and I will accept or deny.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; April 19, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

And again.

Rules up.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Interesting concept Aggy. I'll probably join this one if I can.
    Also...change marital relations to "relationship status" or something. Marital relations means something veeeerrry different...
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

I know what it means, it means coidice.
    I just copied Barry's info and modified it, so sorry I'll change it.
    Oh, and if you can't give orders over steam or something then you can join late and I'll let you have a really easy few turns to catch up.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is this dead??
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 15, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yes.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

No. It's waiting until after Easter so that Dan can play. Then it'll be running. I have a few interested players.

I'll even let you be a (very much weakened) version of the ottomans if you want to play when it starts.

Well i would like to be egypt, babylonia, or athens it is the bronze age but if im not a greek fa tion i should get more land beacuse you have that GA thing, and can you put up a ecom map like what each region is worth(egypt, mesopotamia, asia minor being worth the most then greece spain and italy etc)'

a map like this
    Super prosperity=Dark Green
    Good prosperity= Light Green
    Medium prosperity= Blue
    Low prosperity= Red

PS: why are all the faction in crazy areas?? and if i do pick athens can i put it in attica and if i pick egypt my i put it in egypt, etc
    and why are you puting ecom in percent all the time that does not make sceanc
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 16, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

It's measured in % economies because that was the standard way IHs were run before Barry made the 1642 IH. Don't rip on him for it, it was the normal way when he made this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Fred-nin View Post
    It's measured in % economies because that was the standard way IHs were run before Barry made the 1642 IH. Don't rip on him for it, it was the normal way when he made this game.
    But if you are paying in % then have a large e om is bad

How is having a large economy bad?

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

I think Pericles means that if a unit costs 1% of your economy and you can only really spend 50%. That means you can only afford 50 units. However the problem being that if you own 10 territories, the unit still costs 1% so you can still only afford 50 units. If you own only 1 territory you can have the same amount of troops as a person with 10.

Personally I don't get it either, so I am interested to see how it actually works because the system described above is unfair.
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

I can't really be bothered to go through the rules since I'm not in this game, but the "percentage" economy systems usually are essentially points systems, not percents. You don't have a maximum of 100% economy. If you have 10 provinces and each is 20%, you earn 200% economy per turn (so larger empires have greater incomes). It really should just be based on points or florins or gold coins or whatever you want to call it. Percentage is misleading.

I remember that in the WEF 1960 game, the UKA's economy was like 2,500%

I like the % system, I find the florins system bothersome to calculate, and the whole "regional resource infrastructure map" even more complicated. However, though the regional resource map is OUT, if you all wish we can use Minai or something like that (would prefer Greek, as game is based on Greece).

Okay, I'm bored so I'm starting this today. Make factions, then post that you have done so here (make the thread title say [AoE] then faction name). I'll accept you. Also, take a look at the rules, a few have been added. You have one week to join, Dan is the only exception so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast