Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the AI is still crappy during seige

Default the AI is still crappy during seige

AI during seige are pretty much same as other TW, enemy just stand outside the "wall" and did nothing
    the cavalry can dismount and climb the wall in this game and they don't do so and just let arrows killing them

Default Re: the AI is still crappy during seige

Rubbish. The AI in this game is the best I've ever seen, including sieges. I wonder, what level are you playing on? I'm playing on Hard, you see.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by hellexpress View Post
    AI during seige are pretty much same as other TW, enemy just stand outside the "wall" and did nothing
    the cavalry can dismount and climb the wall in this game and they don't do so and just let arrows killing them
    Really? They do fairly well in assault my keep thus far. As long as you don't have a numerical and or qualitative superiority, it should give you at least a good fight. What were your troops and the enemies troops like?
    Forward, march!

I must have imagined that siege battle where I had an opponent who outnumbered me 2-1 bum rush my walls. They assaulted from 3 directions and almost overwhelmed me. The only reason I won is becasue I had an army that consisted mainly of Shimazu Samurai whereas they just had Ashigaru. I still lost almost my entire army. And that was my Capital!
    Last edited by Codeman90; March 15, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

Troll topic, then? Or strange bug?

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

I want to say troll topic.

In my Shimasu campaign I got attacked by an army of equal strength to my defending forces--about 3000 men. The enemy had primarily bow samurai and yari ashigaru, while I had primarily katana samurai as well as 3 units of bow ashigaru and 2 light horse.

The enemy attacked in three directions, but one of their flanks consisted entirely of bow samurai so I sallied out of one gate with my cavalry and some katana samurai and massacred them.

The remaining flanks peppered me with arrows that took a terrible toll, while the yari ashigaru and three dismounted generals scaled the walls. The ashigaru were no match for my katana samurai manning the walls, but the generals put up a fight before dying.

All in all, it was one of the best siege battles I fought in a TW series. How often do you sally out of one gate into a glorious charge while precariously holding the line at the other gate? Awesome.
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

talk about siege just now fought nearly an hour battle end up with 5000 death total, the Imagawa choose death over rout, repel 3 change up the wall, my daimyo end up death in the last attempt, I lost with just 10 bodyguard standing between me and the keep

really epic battle so IDK the AI is AWESOME

I just read a ridiculous review that said this game has the same problems as Empire, even though they rated STW2 pretty good (86%). Absurd.

Semisalis

He's not trolling. The siege AI is messed up. I am stuck in a siege right now (alt-tabbed out of the game) where I am outnumbered 3:1, and all the enemy is doing is running around in the distance between two hills over and over and over and over. Broken AI, without a doubt. Perhaps the fact that I had reinforcements come in at the start of the battle (only to be promptly annihilated) screwed up the AI; but either way, I can't even finish this siege because the AI simply will not attack.

Again, OP - which level are you playing on? It makes a bit of a difference, you know.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Semisalis

I'm playing on legendary and the AI is running around in the distance in a loop. Two units periodically come near my castle, and then go back to the main force which just keeps running around.

Let me guess, according to the apologists I'm trolling and must be making this up.

Quote Originally Posted by AzureNight View Post
    I'm playing on legendary and the AI is running around in the distance in a loop. Two units periodically come near my castle, and then go back to the main force which just keeps running around.

Let me guess, according to the apologists I'm trolling and must be making this up.
    Well you dismissed their experiences by saying the AI is messed up.

Given the amount of evidence so far, I'm biased towards saying the AI has some bugs that can freak it out at specific points. But that it is generally doing very well when said bugs don't interfere. That means that the AI in itself isn't messed up actually, as a messed up AI wouldn't be able to function due to a lack of work on it (Empire *ahem*), rather than some rogue coding.

No azure you're not trolling mate, its only trolling if the poster makes no real sense or is clearly just being an idiot. You seem to have found a genuine problem. Best people report any bugs, exploits etc they find so CA or modders can fix them.

The AI has behaved ok with me so far on a hard campaign, nothing outstanding but nothing stupid either.
    "There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience"

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Not sure which game you're playing. ETW? My BAI is much better than nearly every other vanilla TW game.

Semisalis

The thing is, the first siege I played, I was also in a similar situation (i.e. vastly outnumbered), and the AI positioned its archers to fire on my fort while the rest of its army ran around back and forth in the distance. Only when their archers ran out of arrows did they attack, and that attack was rather idiotically executed with some units just standing outside the walls aimlessly. They dismounted their general and had him climb the steepest wall, which was manned by the samurai retainers, who promptly killed him.

Let's not pretend that this AI is all that much better than previous incarnations, even if it tries to use basic flanking maneuvers now and then.

Based on these two sieges, what the TS says is quite reasonable. That's two battles for me so far where the AI was indeed messed up and could not even defeat a tiny force of mediocre units with a huge army. And this is in Legendary - however, even if it wasn't, this is still clear evidence of poor coding.

---------

lol, so the battle has still been on while I am alt-tabbed out. Now, the army has moved to a nearby forest near my castle, where they are going into hidden mode and out over and over, while my advisor keeps repeating "hidden units my lord, treacherously meant to ambush us!"
    Last edited by AzureNight; March 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM.

I have not encountered the problems mentioned by the OP and I have played ~10 siege battles so far, 7 of which during my campaign on Legendary. The AI is without a doubt better than in the previous games, they try to flank me, they attack from different sides, etc. The only problem I can think of is that the enemy general sometimes rushes in with the rest of his troops and gets killed rather quickly.

Maybe the OP is faced with a bug or something?

two sieges is hardly reasonable "holy crap this AI is garbage" damning evidence. I've had the AI act quite reasonably and intelligently on every battle I've fought (about 10, with two of them being sieges). I think this is more of a glitch rather then just permanant programming

Dream on , dreamer, its the same as all tw realease disapponiment,,lucky for us we have tw center and the modders that go with it

Quote Originally Posted by THE HIGHLANDER View Post
    Dream on , dreamer, its the same as all tw realease disapponiment,,lucky for us we have tw center and the modders that go with it
    And with this comment, the topic goes off the deep-end.......

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman90 View Post
    two sieges is hardly reasonable "holy crap this AI is garbage" damning evidence. I've had the AI act quite reasonably and intelligently on every battle I've fought (about 10, with two of them being sieges). I think this is more of a glitch rather then just permanant programming
    Actually, the army ended up attacking. They attacked the highest side of the fort, resulting in all of their units getting completely owned (that was the only wall I was defending). I managed to goad them into an attack by running my general outside, and then inside immediately.

Come on, don't pretend as if that's good AI. Clearly this siege was completely ridiculous and buggy. Something caused the AI to act extremely oddly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast