Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chosokabe Campaign Guide

Default Chosokabe Campaign Guide

Reserved - Post your Strategies Here.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 16, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Default Re: Chosokabe Campaign Guide

Chokosabe - Hard difficulty. (~30 turn progression so far, all of Shikoku taken).

The Chokosabe can be somewhat tough in the beginning. I had to restart my campaigns several times until I started to get the flow of things and with some luck, am progressing at a comfortable pace.

Here are some things I learned about this campaign:

~in the first 10-15 turns~

1.) Immediately deal with the rebel army. It's an easy battle but do your best to minimize casualties. By winning, you get a bonus to income for 4 turns. Upgrade your rice farms and start learning Bushido.

2.) Focus on your military over the economy. And do not be tempted to train the chokosabe archer/Yari samurai early in the game. While they are much better than their ashigaru counterparts, they cost twice as much to train in time and money and this can seriously hamper your ability to provide quick reinforcements.

3.) Capture the northern province. Try to beat their army on the field by keeping your army small-ish. If not, prepare for a tough assault on their keep.

4.) By then you can start to develop your economy better. Miyoshi and Sogo might be at arms against each other so that will buy you some time. Send a ninja over to the eastern provinces and wait for a moment when one of the two is at its weakest and then strike. Having good intel beats having a superior troops any day!

More to follow!

Primicerius

Chosokabe

- hard difficulty setting -

First things first

Deal with the rebels without delay. If they have any survivors after the first battle, try to pursue and destroy on the same turn otherwise the rebels will inflict heavy toll on your economy. Upgrade your port (you want to get trade ships asap) and train yari ashigaru. On turn 2: march the army that has dealt with the rebels back to the castle. Kono probably has moved their army into your province already. Start researching economic arts (you want to upgrade your fields asap).

Dealing with Kono

It is essential to march the main army towards the Kono invading army ASAP. Preferrably, Kono invaders should be attacked and destroyed in the field. After that, it is advisable to wait inside Chosokabe borders until the spring (replenishing troops and getting reinforcements from your castle while avoiding winter attrition in enemy territory) and then march into Kono. In my case, their main army was having a field day so I took their castle and allowed the Kono rebels to attack me there in the next turn. Once Kono is conquered, a buildup of forces and economy is due. I actually did not shy away from recruiting samurai archers. We're Chosokabe after all.

Trade nodes

Once the trade ships start coming out, I sent them due South (towards the edge of Shimazu territory one after another) taking care to stay close to the coast (deeps seas attrition is dangerous). My first ship arrived at the trade node near Shimazu base before they had a chance to claim it. The followup trade ships (one per turn) were sent further West along the coast in an attempt to claim other trade nodes. I managed to claim 3 out of the 4 nodes available near the Southern coast of Japan. The 4th trade ship was sent North along the coast to explore and find potential trade partners, also I had vain hopes of claiming the 5th trade node (the one next to Ainu).

While trading, beware of the pirates in the high seas though...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sogo

These neighbors start friendly, yet I decided they should be incorporated into Chosokabe empire for their access to prime stone. Luckily, by the time I was ready to invade (a full stack of yari ashigaru + samurai archers), Sogo were not allied with anyone. I waited for the moment when the main Sogo force had marched to their border with Miyoshi to strike. The castle fell instantly and Sogo rebels were dealt with on the next turn.

Miyoshi

By the time Chosokobe were ready to deal with Miyoshi, Bessho (an upstart minor faction that had done extremely well on the main island) had allied with them. Just for the heck of it, right before attacking Miyoshi, I offered Bessho an alliance, + my heir as a hostage (for 8 turns), + mutual military access, + some cash, + them dropping Miyoshi as an ally. The deal went through and I was allowed to take over Miyoshi provinces without any third party interference. Interestingly enough, Bessho became my staunch ally and trade partner after this...

Where to next?

In my case, a window of opportunity opened on Kyūshū when the Ito province rebelled against their Shoni overlords. Ito became my starting base in a long war against Shoni (who had subjugated the whole island by the time I arrived). My merchant fleet was destroyed in the war, but promptly restored after the conquest of Kyūshū was complete. Chosokabe have no plans to let anyone else trade on the Southern trade nodes during the rest of the campaign....

Naval matters

Chosokabe should not ignore their military fleet. The seas are full with be pirates and enemies raiding trade. In the early game, a good naval combo seemed to be the medium troop boats + a bunch of cheap light bow boats. This combo allowed me to deal with most opponents.

Further conflicts

The question about "where to next?" was easily answered by Uesugi who attacked Date, longstanding Chosokabe's allies. After a few crushing defeats by Daimyo (on land) and his son in law (on the seas), Uesugi agree to a shameful peace (+ a trade agreement):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Shogun's Ire

With this conquest, Chosokabe's empire has grown to the size of 15 provinces in 1564 and, as a result, earns Shogun's ire... Chosokabe also just received a warning that Ouchi, a long-standing trade partner (the trade being the main reason why Chosokabe did not expand into their territories in the first place) has been plotting "to exploit our situation". I guess, things will become "interesting" very soon.

Last edited by Slaists; March 20, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

The Chosokabe have an unmentioned feature which puts them in between Easy and Normal difficulty, in my opinion. Unlike the island the Shimazu start on, Kyushu, Shikoku does not have a "bridge" to Honshu. As someone who loves the general's recruiting feature, it can put you in a bind when your commander is on Honshu but your most developed provinces are on Shikoku. This makes building up a navy even more important than it is for clans on Shikoku or Honshu.

THEMIK DK's Avatar Senator

i won as them today!

A 1500-1680 Total War FTW!!!

Me too.

Finished it on hard.

Harder than expected. Within my struggle reaching Kyoto, Uesugi attacked me with 2 fleets + armies in the same turn. After that Takeda did the same. But now they are bow before the might of Chosokabe Motochika!
    Mori dominated kyushu and western honshu until I destroyed them. There was purple colored minor clan, cant remember the name .. they were my allies and controled central honshu. They even fought with me against all other clans after realm divide. But then they declared war on me though ... bad idea

I have started a long campaign with Chosokabe, which is going well so far. As others have suggested, I dealt with the rebels first, and then Kono. At the same time I upgraded the port in my home province and then built trade ships, taking the trade nodes for silk and cotton. I should have gone for the incense node as well (the most southerly), but by the time I realised the Satake had already beaten me to it. I subsequently have been making trade agreements as frequently as possible; I find that even the most recalcitrant clans can be persuaded to trade with the right amount of incentive payments being made - which nearly always pay for themselves in a few turns.

I immediately researched Chi arts to allow the building of temples and to upgrade my roads (todufuken) and carried along that path until I had researched Chonindo to enable some serious fam upgrades. I am hoping that that early investment will avoid any problems with hunger as I upgrade ports and markets.

Once Kono was secure, I used a monk to incite rebellion on the small Miyoshi island to the east, then took their capital. The rebels took the castle, and I subjugated them easily after I had dealt with the Miyoshi capital. Myoshi and Sogo were allied in my campaign, and so I opted to take Miyoshi first as they were the stronger of the two. Sogo soon followed. That secured access to 3 trade ports and superior warhorses, giving me a very broad range of recruitable units in my 'home' island. The fact that it has no land bridge is a distinct advantage IMO.

After taking Shikoku, I have been concentrating my efforts on undermining the opposition. I have been looking for weak clans and dispatching monks, ninja and metsuke to incite rebellions, paralyse armies, demoralise or assassinate generals and agents, and disrupt infrastructure. I have managed to take 3 provinces just to the north of Shikoku through inciting rebellions and attacking the rebels once they have gained control. I have no enemies amongst the clans and many trade partners.

Unfortunately, I am running out of weak targets. If my agents stop being successful I will have to take on a more powerful foe soon. However, thanks to my early investment in trade and infrastructure, I appear to be in good shape, with lots of cash to spend, a strong navy and 3 strong armies poised to leap into the action as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
    Your technique is ... magnificent ...

Ogami, ever read Path of the Assassin? Same time period as this game. I'm a big fan of Koike & Kojima, too

STELLover's Avatar Senator

For the Chosokabe campaign, the most critical move lies with when you attack the Kono and the Miyoshi. It is a bad strategy to attack them head on in the first 1-3 turns.

For me, after defeating the rebel army, I recruited 3 Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru and 2 Yari Ashigaru then moved to Iyo by flanking around the West. The Kono army usually stacks up around 5-8 units then attacks you from the north passageway. When their army is out, their settlement will only have 1-2 units (From my campaign they only had their faction leader and the spawning Samuri Retainers)

After taking Kono easily deal with the Kono army as they will turn back to retake their settlement, then IMMEDIATELY the next 2 turns, gather all military forces and attack Sogo. The Sogo are very weak until 6-8 turns when they start recruiting units.

It is key to secure and destroy the 2 regions as failure to do so will result in Defeat!
    For instance, I procrastinated and built up my army at Tosa till turn 10. By that time, the Kono and Sogo were already "Moderately Powerful." and while I was attacking a Kono army, the Sogo flanked around and took Tosa
    Last edited by STELLover; March 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by STELLover View Post
    For the Chosokabe campaign, the most critical move lies with when you attack the Kono and the Miyoshi. It is a bad strategy to attack them head on in the first 1-3 turns.

For me, after defeating the rebel army, I recruited 3 Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru and 2 Yari Ashigaru then moved to Iyo by flanking around the West. The Kono army usually stacks up around 5-8 units then attacks you from the north passageway. When their army is out, their settlement will only have 1-2 units (From my campaign they only had their faction leader and the spawning Samuri Retainers)

After taking Kono easily deal with the Kono army as they will turn back to retake their settlement, then IMMEDIATELY the next 2 turns, gather all military forces and attack Sogo. The Sogo are very weak until 6-8 turns when they start recruiting units.

It is key to secure and destroy the 2 regions as failure to do so will result in Defeat!
    For instance, I procrastinated and built up my army at Tosa till turn 10. By that time, the Kono and Sogo were already "Moderately Powerful." and while I was attacking a Kono army, the Sogo flanked around and took Tosa
    It is possible to take Kono on the third/fourth turn.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 22, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

The Kono shouldnīt be any problem. You can beat them easily on turn 4 the lastest.

First step is always the Ichijo rebels. If you attack them with the whole starting army, they will retreat without giving battle, so leave one of your Yaris behind. I prefer to exchange the General with my Daimyo as well.
    If you can defeat the Ichijo completely, return the army to Tosa directly - if there are stragglers: persue, defeat, return next turn. Donīt forget to recruit two new units of your choice and all the other stuff you want to do.

Depending on whether you had to fight the rebels once or twice, you can now attack the visiting Kono army or follow them into Iyo. Most likely you wonīt destroy them even if you can beat them while they are still in your lands, so you have to fight them before their gates again in either way.

In my last attempt, I didnīt manage to engage them in Summer 1545 - they withdrew when they saw the might of the Chosokabe concentrated in Tosa. I followed them with all my army and both leaders. Autumm 1545 I couldnīt yet reach their army camped in front of their castle... winter I attacked first the army, then the castle plus the remains of their beaten army. No more Kono.

It is now possible to attack the Sogo as soon as possible, but usually they start their own little war with the Miyoshi on turn 6. So better to fill up your depleted army, wait until Red and Green fight it out and mop up the remains.

chosokabe are so easy at the beginning on the hard difficulty. on my first go i took the whole island in under 25 turns but then did the wrong moves, instead of attacking the west island where itto is I allied with one of them clans and attacked hatano and takeodo who are near kyoto n got raped and now need to start again

Totally agree with the wait till Sogo and Miyoshi are killing each other. I didn't have to fight a single battle with them. except for measly seige, which I auto resolved because 10:1 is not a fun battle.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

I beat the crap out of everybody on that island in like 8 turns and control 4 of the trade nodes. I cannot get anybody to friggin trade with me. I give them money, hostages and still no deal. I don't have any negatives besides a -8 for expanding.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

I found that the AI are very reluctant to trade with you since you will make too much money with your trade.
    Move your ships out of all trade nodes, then suggest a trade agreement. Often the chances are high or moderate, you can even manage to make them pay for the agreement (earlier game for me).
    Otherwise I rarely bother giving money in early game trade agreements, often I lose the agreement next turn because their port was taken over by another clan.

Gaius Marius Maximus's Avatar Miles

for me I did the same thing you all did I take everything in Shikoku Island, and I send my ninja to Hattori Land for the experiance I created a fleet in the first round to opens the map and find other clans by navigating along the Japanese coast
    was that time I search for Bushido arts
    except that in around 20th lap I created two army with just general and four yari ashigaru
    and four archers ashigaru
    after my main army
    "my 5 star géneral and 8 Samurai archers plus 8 yari samurai and 2 yari Cavalery"
    I attack the province Bingo and instaled one of my two armed the fortress
    Then I also send my main army to take Izuma castle
    after this i attack and I declare war against the Matsuda and entry to another island by the gate of Buzen Province
    like that i secure my northern border with my two armies "after ofcaurse i add some units to this fortress and go to conquest the north against Takeda

Well decided to try the Chosokabe campaign on VH and I've run into a problem.

I've conquered Kono and built up a reasonably sized army but the other two factions on the island have two 20-army sized armies waiting for me. Not sure what to do here.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    I beat the crap out of everybody on that island in like 8 turns and control 4 of the trade nodes. I cannot get anybody to friggin trade with me. I give them money, hostages and still no deal. I don't have any negatives besides a -8 for expanding.
    You have to get all your trade ships out of the trade nodes , go to diplomacy menu and ask again for trade agreements , most of the time they will agree (as the AI thinks that it will gain more than you with this agreement ) , otherwise pay them to accept it , it is worth it most of the time , then when you get the trade agreement , put your trade ships back in the trade nodes again

As it is my first campaign in the game, something happened and made me close the game... I had conquered half the map and then EVERY BLOODY CLAN declard war on me, broke their trade rights and it seams to me that here comes the moment of P A I N. Should I be scared? Will they really all attack me or i just have to defend my inland borders? You know, in an island there is always the fear of naval army invasions...

My tip as Chosokabe is to utilize archers as much as possible. Arrows are so deadly in shogun 2.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast