Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation from CD turns to Steam download at ~50%

Default Installation from CD turns to Steam download at ~50%

So, after raging at this steam for couple hours now, trying to solve the problem myself I'm stuck on this and I have no idea what to do and why this is happening.

I activated STW2 earlier, its on my game list.

Every time I tried a reinstall I did first uninstall and I did Delete Local Content.
    I also tried the Run: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E: thingy.

But everytime I have the CD installation running, CD1 goes to full without a problem. I insert CD2 and my installation from CD just turns into a download through Steam installation at about 8500+ MB installed.

I just get the installation complete screen (this: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a_Finished.jpg), and can only click finish and Steam screen opens and its just downloading from about 50%.

I am so frustrated that You can't even imagine.

Perhaps anyone could help me with it.

Default Re: Installation from CD turns to Steam download at ~50%

I feel your pain.

I re-installed M2TW twice in a row because the first time didn't work, only to find out it wasn't working because I was missing .NET Framework 2.0.

15.4GB at 160KB/s.

You get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xsvspitfire - NEW VIDEOS UPLOADED DAILY
    Featuring Videos of: BF3, Bastion, Skyrim, Starcraft 2 & World In Conflict
    Hd 7850 2Gb
    Phenom II x3 4.0GHz
    8Gb RAM

Edit: Removed due to being rude and inappropriate, I r sorri!
    Last edited by Friend23; March 15, 2011 at 09:31 AM.

Ill try to download .NET Framework 2.0, cheers!

THEMIK DK's Avatar Senator

bad news

A 1500-1680 Total War FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Friend23 View Post
    Thank You Mr Smartass, like if I didn't see and know that, and like if the link of picture of the end screen wasn't taken from the thread.
    Sorry for trying to help a new guy.Go yourself next time.

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Thank You Mr Smartass, like if I didn't see and know that, and like if the link of picture of the end screen wasn't taken from the thread.
    BAN HAMMER!!

Kidding, but if you don't want help, then don't come on the forums and about it.

I have W7 and 2.0 is a part of the OS. Regardless, I ran a verification tool for if I have it installed. Veryfication was successful. But Ill try to reinstall and then try.

Perhaps anyone else could suggest what to do in my case?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosjack View Post
    BAN HAMMER!!

Kidding, but if you don't want help, then don't come on the forums and about it.
    Ops! Did I just say bad stuff about a Lt Gen with almost 7k posts? Don't keel me I know Gracul!

Ye but, Your reply was kinda off, sorry for my reaction but I'm really angry about this Steam crap. As if they couldn't just make it work properly.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

So, after raging at this steam for couple hours now, trying to solve the problem myself I'm stuck on this and I have no idea what to do and why this is happening.

I activated STW2 earlier, its on my game list.

Every time I tried a reinstall I did first uninstall and I did Delete Local Content.
    I also tried the Run: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E: thingy.

But everytime I have the CD installation running, CD1 goes to full without a problem. I insert CD2 and my installation from CD just turns into a download through Steam installation at about 8500+ MB installed.

I just get the installation complete screen (this: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a_Finished.jpg), and can only click finish and Steam screen opens and its just downloading from about 50%.

I am so frustrated that You can't even imagine.

Perhaps anyone could help me with it.
    The problem is that if you've had a problem installing the game (the servers are too busy) then you get that last screen.

When you try and play the game it starts the download - because the install is not really complete.

You need to remove the partial install and start again, otherwise, you do a reinstall which does a download. This is mentioned in my post.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    The problem is that if you've had a problem installing the game (the servers are too busy) then you get that last screen.

When you try and play the game it starts the download - because the install is not really complete.

You need to remove the partial install and start again, otherwise, you do a reinstall which does a download. This is mentioned in my post.
    Yeah the one i gave a link to and got sh!t about.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bushranger View Post
    Yeah the one i gave a link to and got sh!t about.
    You should be part of a 'tech help' team - you get to meet all types doing that.

The good thing is that a lot of people do appreciate the help you give - which makes it all worth while as we've all been in a position where we don't know what we are doing and some kind soul helps. Just keep trying to help and ignore what comes your way (well some of it).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Exactly this. I had troubles with the second disc aswell yesterday night and solved it by removing the partial install and trying again.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

I have W7 and 2.0 is a part of the OS. Regardless, I ran a verification tool for if I have it installed. Veryfication was successful. But Ill try to reinstall and then try.

Perhaps anyone else could suggest what to do in my case?

why? because after seeing how you react to help, I don't feel like it

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

You should be part of a 'tech help' team - you get to meet all types doing that.

The good thing is that a lot of people do appreciate the help you give - which makes it all worth while as we've all been in a position where we don't know what we are doing and some kind soul helps. Just keep trying to help and ignore what comes your way (well some of it).
    LOL if i gave tech help to people there would be PC's blowing up around the world,i will just keep sending links to peoples threads like yours.Belieave me your sticky will be much needed in the next couple of days as it's just such a frustrating problem when you bring your DVD home and want to play.

Ok, sorry for that my stupid reply.
    And thank You guys for bothering to try to help to me.

But Brusilov, how can I make sure that I will start a totally new and clear installation other than doing: performing Uninstall and then making sure that there is no 'Delete Local Content' option appearing in the list?

Also, the 'Server to busy message' appeared for me only once, it was during the very first installation which was a download installation anyway. Since then I was always first completely uninstalling and performing a new installation from CD.

Then during the instalation 1 CD goes ok, then after entering second, when Im about 8500MB/16000MB the installation complete screen pops. There is no first 'Server Too Busy' message and then installation complete or anything. The installation just completes at certain % and thats it. I can then just click the 'Finish' button and then its installed to the % and from then it starts downloading.

Guysssssss Im sorryyyyyyyyy I love youuuuuuu, bah!

Citizen

Ok, sorry for that my stupid reply.
    And thank You guys for bothering to try to help to me.

But Brusilov, how can I make sure that I will start a totally new and clear installation other than doing: performing Uninstall and then making sure that there is no 'Delete Local Content' option appearing in the list?

Also, the 'Server to busy message' appeared for me only once, it was during the very first installation which was a download installation anyway. Since then I was always first completely uninstalling and performing a new installation from CD.

Then during the instalation 1 CD goes ok, then after entering second, when Im about 8500MB/16000MB the installation complete screen pops. There is no first 'Server Too Busy' message and then installation complete or anything. The installation just completes at certain % and thats it. I can then just click the 'Finish' button and then its installed to the % and from then it starts downloading.

We all get frustrated at times. It's best to always take a deep breath before replying. It's easy to misunderstand what someone else has written.

Believe me - I can be a very blunt and rude person in real life as well. Sometimes it's harder to be polite - but then you just may pee off the wrong person. I always try to explain myself in a different way before I'm rude though (not always). Sometimes if you're not sure what the person has told you try and use your own words to confirm what they've told you. You can appear dumb but sometimes it's better to do that then get things wrong.

All I recall from last night is that each time I put the disc in I either had the 'Install' or the 'Reinstall or Uninstall' options.

I did try the 'reinstall' option once and then found that the whole game was being downloaded.

By using the 'Uninstall' option from the DVD menu I never had to remove the items from Steam as that process did it for me.

I got the 'sever too busy' message before I had the screens that it was installing from disc.

Yeah.

Just now I thought Ive had it fixed after changing the server a few times but now the same thing happened but at ~60% instead of at ~50%. Right now Id be probably better with just downloading than trying to fix this for what, almost 6 hours now.

Ill give a try to Singapore now and see if it goes any better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast