Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPQR 6.0 will have Recruitable Generals!

Default SPQR 6.0 will have Recruitable Generals!

Just a heads up SPQR 6.0 will have Generals that you can recruit. ;-) You do not need BI to have this feature, just like Night battles. Never again will you have to use a family member that hates blood as a general. ;-)

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Just a heads up SPQR 6.0 will have Generals that you can recruit. ;-) You do not need BI to have this feature, just like Night battles. Never again will you have to use a family member that hates blood as a general. ;-)

Lt
    how will that work?
    Having to rely on family as generals sort of mimics patricians. It is not really "roman" to recruit a general.

What do you mean by "recruitment"? Will I have to take his traits as given (just like in a family member?) and will you employ special character traits for recruited generals to prevent the flaws of heritage? That would be very good.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

They are NOT part of your family. They dont even have the same names. lol The family members will be superior to the Generals because they have other traits and are family. But Generals are nice to have because there are not enough Family members for 28 Legions etc. Also Family members are better suited in MOST cases for Governing the provinces. Were as a General is only good for War. To be honest have you ever HEARD in history of Rome not having enough Generals. lol Just consider the recruitable generals as Patrician class that have been giving a command.

Lt
    Lt_1956

looking forward to it. But not part of the family? Oh well I guess I have to wait and see how this will work. please throw us a bone as how this will work. Thanks!!
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Im guessng its exactly like the bi system, where at the top level stables you simply recruit generals bodyguards units and you get a general.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Should be the same as BI.

Lt
    Lt_1956

I'm glad to see LT coming up with ideas that make SPQR stand out from all the rest, here here!!!

This is going to make SPQR that much better. Although Lt, couldn't this affect gamplay, because in 5.0, you need Generals to fight and maintain morale of troops on the battlefield, and now, you would have recruitable generals to do that, plus, usually family members have not only command traits, but management, and since they won't have to worry about the army, they could focus soley on towns and cities, and they would keep getting sons and daughters and eventually, they could become uber, due to acadamies, and then staying in towns and cities forever.

Just a thought :wink:,
    Adnan

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

This sounds like a very good add-on feature. 6.0 just gets better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956

Lt
    Wow! Looks like you finally did it and got around the need for BI.

Great work, great work indeed. Being able to recruit generals will be awesome! Excellent!

Hail lt1956!

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

Lt, you are the man.

MasterAdninWell as for Gameplay its good. Remember there is no 50 provinces and you win in 6.0, you have to conquer the Roman Empire to win. lol You will need those FEW 20 something family members just to have Slaves go to the right cities. lol You will never have enough family for all your cities and I am sure some of you dont know but the game only lets you have so many family and then all of a sudden your family member are not fertile or no more adoptions. lol As for Generals this is a Feature I wanted since day one of RTW, it was needed then and its needed now. If you plan to conquer the Empire to WIN the campaign, you will need generals, Family members were a good Idea, BUT if you lose them all you lose the game, there is no way with a possible 28 Legions to have enough for the Legions, much less Cities. Also keep in mind that with Family in the cities means they will be more inclined for governing instead of War, which really is accurate, war was just used for Fame to get a position, but in RTW it seems we HAVE to Family to stand a chance against the AI. Now you can use Generals, and the cost is NOT cheap, so you can just recruit an army of them, and also when you do recruit them, they are not 5 star generals. lol Most have Nothing, so you precious generals with 8 stars will be just as important to protect.

Overall I cant think of anything that would be bad about recruitable generals. Map is bigger in 6.0 It plays different than 5.0 and money is tighter. Unlessy ou cheat of course, then I would lose all respect for you. ;-) lol

Glad most of you like the idea, I know I was estatic over it when it worked, finally after so many tries MONTHS ago with 1.2 and not working we can make it work with 1.5. Probably naming legions work also, but because they bugged it with all 1st legio etc I wont use that feature, I like mine better and the historical names are nice. Also it limits the player to 28 Legions, which is what the Empire had.

Lt
    Lt_1956

One more question, what kind of stables would you need to create Generals? If it requires the highest level, then that wouldn't be so great for Pre-Marian.

Adnan

These are the buildings that can build the generals, it made more sense than a building you have to build like a barracks etc. Also you have to atleast have the 6k mark to get the governors palace, so you dont start off with the ability. And there are Premarius and Post marius Generals. ;-) Genereals also can Die of old age. lol

governors palace
    proconsuls palace
    Imperial palace
    Lt_1956

So they're kind of like Admirals? That was a good idea, though. I didn't really think of having Generals recruited through the Governors Palace, etc.

Adnan

Yes like admirals I guess you could say. But they have traits and and such. They just are not family members, I also dont think they can be used as governors, But I am not 100% sure as I didnt play BI much as I didnt like it. So I would have to test out the generals and see if they gain traits that would make them useful as a governor.

The palace is the best method for Units you want available at all times, I figure the Governor Palace is the best starting place since all cities in the game start out just below that level. The marius reforms take care of the late bodyguards, I am not sure if the upgrades will work on existing Generals bodyguards also, I guess they would but who knows without serious testing. You'll thank me later when you have 75 Provinces and need family to hold the provinces in FAR flung parts of the Empire that seem to like to Revolt! ;-)

Anyway it was a major complaint back a year ago when RTW came out. Finally CA added it in for BI, but I guess they allowed it for Patch 1.5 also, whether on purpose or mistake who knows. I am glad of it though. I dont know the highest family members you have had in a campaign, but Mine never went past 25, many complain of not enough family, the generals solve this problem.
    Lt_1956

Exciting news

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Well its a feature I wanted from the beginning and its nice to have for Large empires, plus Family will have less command stars since they wont be fighting all the time, and will be good for Governor use, unless assassinated. But being able to recruit generals is almost a must in 6.0 because of the Larger map and requirements to win the game. Imagine 50 provinces you own is only 1/3rd the way there! lol You will need generals.

Lt
    Lt_1956

Very good add on LT will Generals be able to get triumph traits? Well I guess not 'cause they can't run for senate elections... Can they actually be eventually adopted into the family like captains after a heroic battle ect... ?

At this pace you may be able to find out what's going on with the swim ability before releasing the MOD... very good work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast