Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing From DVD

Default Re: Installing From DVD

By the way, it seems that this message board considers "buy" a bad word and the post will be denied if it's in a sentence.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

"Buy" is a good word.
    Until you're here for a week and post 25 posts, the "site nanny" has a list of bad words and that one is also a favorite of spammers.

Has steam fixed the whole not installing from the DVD problem yet?
    There is a reason why I bought it on DVD and not via Steam download, and its not because I really wanted a useless coaster, its because I didn't want to waste a day to install 13GB of data!

No, and money says they won't.

The problem will not be fixed. The game has been updated so much that only 143mb of info on the disks are used anymore. Since you are not allowed to play whatever version of the game you want, downloading the rest from steam is required before playing. I have contacted sega about it, they know about the problem and will not be fixing it.

This is the real reason for the gold edition being released.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwaterwater View Post
    The game has been updated so much that only 143mb of info on the disks are used anymore.

Is that true? I just thought steam was being obnoxious and refusing to let me install from the disc, so I came over here for help. If so, the game hasn't so much as been patched as completely rewritten?

Guess I wont be reinstalling the game after all... My connection and steam don't really seem to get along.

I'm not exactly sure when it started but I'm going to guess it was the optimization patch that is the culprit. It rearranged a lot of files so it is possible that the information is not that different but just arranged differently now. I know how you feel, I have satellite internet because of where I live and only get 488mb a day. It amazes me that I could have the tv on all day, streaming video, but the same dish is limited to such a small amount of information when it comes to the internet.

young_dude's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStalker View Post

Is that true? I just thought steam was being obnoxious and refusing to let me install from the disc, so I came over here for help. If so, the game hasn't so much as been patched as completely rewritten?

Guess I wont be reinstalling the game after all... My connection and steam don't really seem to get along.
    Oh FFS, me too. So I basically rented a game for a long time for a lot of money. But good news, gold edition is out so I can buy it again.*end sarcasm Am I just too old for video games? I can still break out the old NES, the same one I got for Xmas in 1987, and fire up some Punch-out and Paperboy, but I have to buy Shogun2 twice just to play it over the course of three years. Limited edition indeed...

Sorry CA. I don't have unlimited leisure time/money. Your products will now be replaced by other, more reliable means of spending my play time/money.
    I used to be the old_dude. Now I'm just kidding myself.

**** this, not buying another version of this game just to be able to install it. Shogun 2 = shelved.

what? i mean honestly, i got shogun 2 today and i had really been looking forward to play it but you can't install it using the discs? and the people responsible won't even bother to fix it?
    i have a limit of 50gb per month and downloading this game would kill my internet for half a month just by installing it and we are 6 people sharing the same internet and it would really upset them. Things were so much better back with Medieval 2. There it was just, disk in, install and play. i wish it was still that simple.

But cmon, you really should be able to install Shogun 2 with the CD's at least, i mean, i didn't get the CD's because i wanted to show off my cover.
    i'm so annoyed with steam right now
    i spent money on this game and i can't even try it for a little bit. bad move steam

i really hope this will not be the case of Rome 2.

Same for Rome2. Nice rant but it falls on deaf ears.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    what? i mean honestly, i got shogun 2 today and i had really been looking forward to play it but you can't install it using the discs? and the people responsible won't even bother to fix it?
    i have a limit of 50gb per month and downloading this game would kill my internet for half a month just by installing it and we are 6 people sharing the same internet and it would really upset them. Things were so much better back with Medieval 2. There it was just, disk in, install and play. i wish it was still that simple.

But cmon, you really should be able to install Shogun 2 with the CD's at least, i mean, i didn't get the CD's because i wanted to show off my cover.
    i'm so annoyed with steam right now
    i spent money on this game and i can't even try it for a little bit. bad move steam

i really hope this will not be the case of Rome 2.
    Only if your disk are the Gold Edition.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

i only can install 148MB and the rest is from steam can you solve this and i have a limited edition and the Expansion

Do Steam region based? Because I live in South-East Asia (Indonesia) and have ordered Shogun 2 Gold Edition (physical disc), what I'm afraid that I cannot install because of the region disc and steam account must be the same. I,m new to the Total War series and Steam by the way.

So, let me get this straight...

If I buy the gold edition of 'Shogun 2', it means that I can install it from the disks? I don't have to put up with that stupid Steam(ing pile of shite)?

Another question - If I have the original 'Shogun 2' installed, can I just install 'Fall (and Rise) of the Samurai' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raizov View Post
    Do Steam region based? Because I live in South-East Asia (Indonesia) and have ordered Shogun 2 Gold Edition (physical disc), what I'm afraid that I cannot install because of the region disc and steam account must be the same. I,m new to the Total War series and Steam by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyeh View Post

If I buy the gold edition of 'Shogun 2', it means that I can install it from the disks? I don't have to put up with that stupid Steam(ing pile of shite)?

Another question - If I have the original 'Shogun 2' installed, can I just install 'Fall (and Rise) of the Samurai' ?
    I don't have the answer for either one.

Have either of you checked the Steam forums for theses answers since they do involve Steam?

Have you searched and asked at http://forums.totalwar.com as they are the "official" support forums?

i would be interested to know if anyone living in the uk has managed to install the gold edition from disc. i have no previous version of the game and my internet con speed is slower than a big sack of really slow things.empire installed from disc with no problems at all, so if shogun would co operate in the same fashion i may be willing to spend money on it. cant see why empire would and shogun wouldnt,if you see what i mean! cheers

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Raizov View Post
    Where did you buy ? There's no region lock for Shogun 2 as far as I know. There's 2 versions which is US and EUR and the difference is just in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyeh View Post

You can install with disk but you still need to activate the game through that ing pile of call Steam and there's no way around that. You may also have to download few hundreds of MB worth of updates since Shogun 2 Gold was released.

You can install FOTS whether you have or have not install Shogun 2 beforehand as that's a standalone expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    i would be interested to know if anyone living in the uk has managed to install the gold edition from disc. i have no previous version of the game and my internet con speed is slower than a big sack of really slow things.empire installed from disc with no problems at all, so if shogun would co operate in the same fashion i may be willing to spend money on it. cant see why empire would and shogun wouldnt,if you see what i mean! cheers
    There's no reason why Gold Edition not be able to install from disk. The reasons why previous or earlier retail version not being able to install from disks are just because CA updated their data format for optimization which makes the previous data (as in the old retail DVD) not useable anymore.

Shogun 2 comes with the new data format so only minimal download needed afterwards.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; October 08, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Thanks for the answers all.

many thanks for the help lestat.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast