Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing From DVD

Default Re: Installing From DVD

@clodius Probably just server issues atm or your connection, just try again later, or restart Steam. Good luck.

Hi Fellow Shogun War fans,
    I hope you can help me out on this installation problem I faced. I've converted my PC into 64bit Win7 and some of the common applications (such as skype, internet, google, etc) I've reloaded in works fine. I tried to install Shogun 2 and while proceeding on disk 1, shortly after the STEAM icon got populated on screen, I will get this error message box [Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR:delete of steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied"].Once this error pops out, installation stop!

So I uninstall STEAM and repeat this process twice with the same error message??!

Some little background info of my PC. It formerly had 2 HDs running on 32 bit Win7 and I had successfully installed Shogun 2 and activation key accepted via STEAM; game played but often freeze....So i suspect due to lack of memory/resource/+HD space running out; So i converted my OS into Win7 loaded into a new 1TB Harddisk (WD Cavier Black) installed into my PC, with intention to increase the RAM from existing 4 to 8 GB if need be.

I believe I have successfully installed the 64bit Win OS....But just cannot understand what's the error about shown above????

I hope for your kind help to unravel this mysterious installation problem. Thanks very much

My PC specs for your

Gigabyte P55 UD3
    Intel i 5
    4GB RAM
    Graphic Card: ATI Radeon 5850
    HardDisk : 1TB Cavier Black WD (with lots of sufficient space 900+GB)
    Java checked confirmed latest

Somebody has slow downloading speed...

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

I'm trying to install Shogun 2 atm, but there is a whopping 25665 mb download to complete before I'm ready. I bought the retail version and installed from both discs before the "update" began. Is this normal?

I'm at 90% now and have 1 hour and 45 minutes to go with a rate of about 400k pr. second... I guess I need quicker internet.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Normal for Steam. It will install all the updates before you can play.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Anybody know Where can I download fall of the samurai iso file? Because I don't want to download the whole 30 gig of game (with this very slow internet I have)everytime I need to re-install it !

MerC

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post
    Anybody know Where can I download fall of the samurai iso file? Because I don't want to download the whole 30 gig of game (with this very slow internet I have)everytime I need to re-install it !

MerC
    You don't have a choice because Sega did not give us one. All 25.3gb or none.

I bought this game some 10 months ago, and I was hoping to finally play it today, after the installation from the disc they wanted me to download a 10 gigabyte update?!
    That's crazy because, I have a maximum 4gigabyte monthly download allowance from my ISP. Is there any way I can bypass the update and play the game non-updated?

In a word, no. you have to have all the updates before Steam will let you play. The full game with updates is now 26gb.

So that's about 10gb in downloads, nah I think I'll pass until decent broadband comes into my area. I'll be waiting a long time though, haha.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post

MerC
    If you already have the game installed and running make sure you do a back up copy either to hard drive or spare DVD (need 4 or 5 I think).

Make sure to do back ups after every big patches.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Libertus

just make a steam shortcut with this target "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -install e:
    e being your dvd drive

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Hi there, first, thanks to Brusilov and people trying to help us with this sort of satanic_way_of_installation through steam: I've bought some days ago an original copy of Shogun, 2 dvd and after more than 3 hours, tired, "disappointed" (I use this term to be fair and respectful but I've pronunced surely not good and gentle words during these hours) and mostly, after I've followed EVERY sort of instruction here and everywhere on the web I'm at the starting point:

istant installation from 2 dvd (5 minutes...) and then steam download of 12 GB. I know there are some pathces not in the dvd BUT I'm sure, steam is downloading the whole game; in fact, correct me if I'm wrong, it's not possible that a full installation of the game from 2 dvd takes a very small pint of minutes.

that's the result: hours in vain. A dvd game edition bought for nothing and hours of dowload in the next days.

I'm not a person who's getting frustrated immediately; I always try to study the problem and find solution reading proposals and trying every way discovered but after ALL what can I say?

Steam could be a good way about game's world (are we completely sure?) but here the point is not which is the best solution...the question is "ethic": I bought something and I had nothing.

After an official purchase, we should not be forced to waste our time in frustrating operations (without result) and also pay (!!) for it!

fool. Simply.

Well, sorry for the long post, if at the present time there is another poor fool like me searching or, better, finding solution or able to give me bigger aknowledgement I'm here, appreciating, and saying a massive THANKS in advance.

Rome could be marvellous, but if this game will show the same issues....I'll renounce.

thanks again.

DB

double post sorry.
    Last edited by DramaBelli; December 05, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: :wub:ing italian cables.

12GB patch seems about right if you have bought Shogun 2 as the game will install data for FOTS too even if you don't own it.

thanks for your reply, LestaT.

I'm not sure this is a patch download. I'm going to tell you why:

-I've installed game from 2 dvds in less than 5 minutes

-then I've controlled shogun data folder: 150 mb instead of tons of GB divided between 2 dvds

I've installed for hours Empire and Napoleon (Napoleon many times after the first one 'cause of 3 different mods changed): I've NEVER had a less than 5 minutes time occurred to install it from dvds.

By this way I'm telling you, this download cannot be FOTS or patches...this is the game I've already in my phisical support.

CA and Steam don't care of this issue...why they shoudl take care of this? we same buy games and there are always teams of brave modders or people like Brusilov ready to find a possible solution. I'm sad for this, dissapointed and feeling delusion.
    I've abandoned videogames for years, returning to them ONLY after I've discovered the existence of CA's total war series. I'm impressed by what the did but at present time I feel also delusion about them.

at present time I'm continuing to dowload...I don't know WHAT exactly and with a stupid retail copy of the game smiling at me like a in' Joker.
    But I'm not Batman.

I feel for you but I can't even help myself on this one. I'm as stuck as you.

Consider this.
    1. My wife buys me Empire at wlamart as a present.
    2. No problem as i already read the specs and I can play on Medium/High settings.
    3. Without reading the box, pop off the cellophane and pop the first disc in the drive.
    4. The next thing that pops up totally out of blue to me is a connection to Steam wanting to download its ing client and me make an account so I can activate my copy of the game.
    5. this is but okay, I can't return the game now anyway. California laws.
    6. Install the dvds, fine, then the six hour wait to play on a crappy internet connection I thought my wife was going to shoot me over.

Yeah, we all rant about it and Rome2 will be the same ing way per Jack Lusted.

This is a FRAUD. I had troubles also when I bought Empire and created this chain-account. After a long dowload I reach the shore of the game. Same with Napoleon. But in both the cases I was able to gain a solution and at least download each of these games from dvds (yes I'm a stupid with all the original retail copies of CA's game...pirates obtain a better treatment probably...........).

With Shogun it's the first time I'm gone completely crazy and as we say here in my country "incazzato nero" (it means "full of rage".."over every limit of patience" )

Add to this a crappy italian connection, always worst in comparison to what the operator promises and you'll have the complete scenario

Irishron, at least, thank you for your moral support, it's appreciated.
    And yes, your wife is Hero!

PS: at now 8.3/12.3 GB downloaded... one two hours again if I'll be lucky...I'm too many curious of understand what I've downloaded ah ah ah.. I don't know what can I do if after one entire day lost I should read "installation incomplete" or find Steam downloading other GB of patches, not requested game as FOTS and similar.
    Last edited by DramaBelli; December 06, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Rant all you want mate to your heart's content but the fact is if you only bought Shogun 2 DVD it was the same version as I had bought nearly two years ago where the game is around 10GB total. As of today the full game size is around 24GB which includes patches, 2 new campaign DLC and many other small DLC. You game installation might try to download the whole thing though which can be circumvent by reading the first post. However, even if you have succesfully completed installtion from the DVD there's still hours of downloading the patches.

If you however have bought the GOTY (or something) Edition which contains Shogun 2, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai then the patches that you need to download was not that big. Probably less than 5GB in total.

True. It's true what you say LestaT in fact this WAS what I expected yesterday evening when I started this brutal assault:

-installation from 2 dvds (45 minutes, one hour...)

-reasonable download from steam of patches (as usual) and other...

What's happened?...

- installation from 2 dvds (less than 5 minutes?! I verified 150 MB into the data folder°_°! is this normal?)

-12 GB download from Steam

please follow with attention what I say now: IF installation from dvds is long as expected and complete (it's strange only 5 min download..do you agree?)..I can expect that 12 gb download from steam can be what you say: FOTS and patches...but what does it contain IF the previous installation was a less than 5 min operation????

the question is: should I expect another long download session after this first one?...in this case I'll assume medicine and try to keep calm with a double session of Ben Hur plus the bible hoping to figure myself strong as Charlton Heston

anyway, thanks for your support again; so I'm not alone in this Valley Forge.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast