Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing From DVD

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Installing From DVD

You are the man Brusilov.
    "Après moi le déluge"

My install stops13520mbs and the jumps to instal is finished screen. But when i try to launch it steam is downloading the rest of the game apparently... ive tried everything you said and it still doesn't work, what is going on here?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chewie411 View Post
    My install stops13520mbs and the jumps to instal is finished screen. But when i try to launch it steam is downloading the rest of the game apparently... ive tried everything you said and it still doesn't work, what is going on here?

I only saw the Steam download when the disc install had completed:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When you start steam and the download starts how much is showing on the 'progress bar' - does it show 13,520Mb of 16,306Mb or does the first number look a lot lower?

If the first number is a lot lower than the number that appears on the disc install screen (mine was showing 15,692Mb) then you're downloading more than you need to.

It could be that for some reason the version of S2:TW is smaller on the disc than mine was. Althought I boubt that.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Brusilov,

An excellent thread, I had a couple of questions all answered, thank you for your time & effort, such a great idea, +rep

NJ

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Brusilov,

An excellent thread, I had a couple of questions all answered, thank you for your time & effort, such a great idea, +rep

NJ
    No problems - it was done in the very early hours of Tuedsay.

At one stage the game was installing from Steam and I thought that was a silly thing to do if I had the disc.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

When I tried to download I got a Fatal Error Failed to load plat modules message re Steam. Any suggestions?

Its shows 13 something and starts to download the rest and then i said screw it and let it download for 12 hours and it finished... i click play and incomplete install.... could it be a faulty disc?
    Last edited by chewie411; March 16, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

i have a weird issue myself....the disc install works fine and i have 15,553 or something similar installed and need about 557 ish update however it will not update and just sit on 96% complete. i figure it must be a steam issue but it seems isolated to me from what i can find. any ideas? ive tried swapping servers no joy. just flat out refuses to download at any speed but says "updating" currently trying a fresh install

Hi Brusilov,

I followed you're instructions and I installed the game, but then when I try to play appears a black screen. At the beginning it seems to be loading something but then it stops and my pc freeze itself and I have to restart it brutally (with pc button, alt+tab and ctrl+alt+canc don't work).
    Can you help me?

Thank you very much! (sorry for my english)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lowie0001 View Post
    i have a weird issue myself....the disc install works fine and i have 15,553 or something similar installed and need about 557 ish update however it will not update and just sit on 96% complete. i figure it must be a steam issue but it seems isolated to me from what i can find. any ideas? ive tried swapping servers no joy. just flat out refuses to download at any speed but says "updating" currently trying a fresh install
    It may just be a sign that the servers are still very busy. When I was doing the 'day 0' patch at the start it was zipping along ato over 300kb/s - later on it was not moving for a while but eventually it did pick up speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianduiotto View Post
    Hi Brusilov,

I followed you're instructions and I installed the game, but then when I try to play appears a black screen. At the beginning it seems to be loading something but then it stops and my pc freeze itself and I have to restart it brutally (with pc button, alt+tab and ctrl+alt+canc don't work).
    Can you help me?

Thank you very much! (sorry for my english)
    A black screen when starting a game is never a good sign - it may simply be that your PC does not meet the minimum requirements or that the install has failed for some reason.

Thank you for the rep. I used Can you run it and I have all the requirements, I installed the game two times but with no results, i can't play. What can I do?

popping in to say I purchased the limited edition from Amazon, and it only installs 13k. Which is interesting because the disc install screen says 15k/15k. No idea, but because internet is running slow, got a 2 hour download ahead of me.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Corvic View Post
    popping in to say I purchased the limited edition from Amazon, and it only installs 13k. Which is interesting because the disc install screen says 15k/15k. No idea, but because internet is running slow, got a 2 hour download ahead of me.
    I never looked at what was there as the game was installing so I can't vouch that there really was 15K there.

Still at least you aren't downloading the whole lot - that would take a day and a half.....

hey thanx for the advice,

iv been tryin to download this all day!
    rediculous, that it makes u download it, when u have a hard copy.

hopefully i can be playing this game later tonight, rather than next week sometime!

rep++

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by dunkdafunk View Post
    hey thanx for the advice,

iv been tryin to download this all day!
    rediculous, that it makes u download it, when u have a hard copy.

hopefully i can be playing this game later tonight, rather than next week sometime!

rep++
    The download part is simply the 'day 0' patch (570Mb) plus any patches that have come out since release. You should be able to install most of the game from DVD-ROM which speeds up the install process.

Once you've installed the game you have the option to play on-line or off-line (if you play off-line you won't get the Steam Achievements). You also have the option to decide to automatically accept updates of the game - or not.

I know Steam does cause problems for some people but I'm quite pleased that I don't have to hunt around to see if I have the latest patch for a game. I'm also pleased that I don't need to keep the disc in my PC (I had my original CD-ROM of RTW BI explode in a DVD-ROM drive) and I canuse a single copy of the game on my desktop and when I am working away from home on my laptop.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Now where did I do wrong..

1. Put the disk
    2. Click install button
    3. PC automatically connect to steam
    4. Trying to download the whole thing (took 14 days base on internet connection)
    5. Right-click and close setam
    6. Nothin happened - game not installing from disk.
    7. Repeat again - click reinstall same thing happened
    8. Repeat again - click uninstall same thing happen
    9. ???????
    10. Okay it's working now. 27 minutes to go before 2nd disk.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; April 04, 2011 at 01:06 PM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

This is balls to the wall retarded. FUDGE YOU STEAM. This is my fourth time installing the game and it only installs to 13 gb....WTF. The game installs fine from the first Disc but it when it reaches the second, it slowly dies down to a crawl and says the install is complete and i'm left with a 3 gig download.

Another question is..why am I forced to download the patch if I don't want to? WHY?

Found this on the Amazon site: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3A2X...R3A2XR9CDDKL5K

"Hi, I bought this game and it arrived on time nicely. When you try and install it Steam registers the game then attempts to install 16GB worth of data (YES 16GB DOWLOAD!). I have a 10GB limit per month on my downloads so this was not good. Also if I have 3 physical DVDs why is it downloading?? Crazy!

Anyway this solution worked for me and several other according to the forums (gamefaqs.com forum).
    1. Stick in the first DVD
    2. Register with Steam ==> it will start downloading the 16GB files automatically.
    3. Delete the local content from Steam (right click in games list then delete local content)
    4. Close Steam (right click on the icon in your task bar and close it completely). Closing it down fully seems to be critical it only worked on my 3rd attempt after closing down Steam properly.
    5. Eject the first DVD and stick it back in the DVD drive
    6. It will now install from the DVDs

This allowed me to install from the DVDs which is a lot quicker than the 16,000MB download!

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Dave"

I think you don't understand how the steam downlaod works.

Steam DOESN'T download the whole game, it starts where the cd's stopped. Wtih this i mean, updates and patches after when the discs were made will be downloaded from steam.
    The discs do not contain patches and updates, these have to be downloaded and installed from steam.

OK I was dumb enough to buy the DVD from amazon.

I get to the activation key having input it get 'steam server is not available'.

have now attempted this 5 ing times with the same result

I have no other options than back or cancel.

I already have a steam account and can open and play Napoleon Total War with no problem at all.

I really am minded to stick it back in the box, get a refund post a one star review on Amazon as if it won't install from a DVD it is just not worth the hassle.

Any suggestions?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast