Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing From DVD

Default Re: Installing From DVD

FYI:
    Tried to install Shogun but Steam gave me a error message "Steam servers too busy or something like that". So I changed download location from Frankfurt to Malaysia and it worked. Maybe this helps someone
    Don't smoke the seed

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Cough - the TW games have been like this since E:TW.

I don't want to start a discussion here about Steam though. There are enough of those at the moment.

The game is worth the problems when you start to play.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Where am I supposed to input the Limited edition activation key, I didn't get an option during the installation, and I can't find anywhere on the game.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Greavesy View Post
    Where am I supposed to input the Limited edition activation key, I didn't get an option during the installation, and I can't find anywhere on the game.
    If you read the booklet that comes with the key for the Limited Edtion it tells you how......

Steam Games Menu - select 'activate a product on steam'.....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Sorry, that was rather stupid lol, I didn't read in much detail, I just read the bold text lol..

Quote Originally Posted by TW-fanboy View Post
    The installation from dvd is finished, but it only has reached ca. 13,600 mb of 16,305.0mb
    I am curious why I have other numbers than you have.
    This. I have same issue which stinks because now I have to wait an extra 2 hrs. because my internet stinks. My download says it's 2.5gb not 500mb like you guys this is the LE edition.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Many thanks to Brusilov for his 'How to install from disc.'

It would be so much easier though if Steam just had a tick box.

'Install from disk.'

Too easy I suppose!

Balla.
    Last edited by Ballacraine; March 15, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

I cannot install ... please help.

I tried this:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ible-solutions

But, I am unable to delete anything as that option is not there ... then as soon as I try to reinstall again same problem as before.

crossjon's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks Brusilov for the tips. (paticularly the change region one- went from 35 min to 10 for the patch)
    +rep

Sorry if I've already said this, but I had this problem at first (Limited Ed) - I went to install from disc, and instead it goes straight to an eight hour download! Cancel that, delete the install and start again - when I did that, it installed from the disc.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Man I deleted it all, keeps wanting to go through steam which won't even let me download.

Well got it going a bit so I could delete the local contend and try again ... but no dice it wants to download only it will not use the DVD.

Guess I'll be downloading for the next 17 hours!!!!!
    Last edited by dutch81; March 15, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    Man I deleted it all, keeps wanting to go through steam which won't even let me download.

Well got it going a bit so I could delete the local contend and try again ... but no dice it wants to download only it will not use the DVD.

Guess I'll be downloading for the next 17 hours!!!!!
    Close Steam down and then insert the DVD-ROM it will install from there - choose the 'uninstall' option from the window that pops up.

All this is outside of Steam.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

I did I closed it but when I put the DVD in it reopened and did the same thing again I just don't seem to be able to get around it I have tried what you said as well as the advice in the sega forum.

I am scared now to stop and start over again ... I've been downloading for hours and as yet I have 4-7 to go ...

Citizen

If you put the DVD-ROM in and run the setup.exe you should get a screen that has something like 'install' or 'repair or uninstall'. At this stage Steam is not involved. Make sure Steam is closed down completely.

I've just put my disc in - I was asked to select a language and then I get this screen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The window is a Steam one (the icon) but Steam itself has not started on my PC.

Basically, you're doing something wrong. I suspect it's not closing down Steam properly.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Ok how do I close it properly then?

Hey all I'm a new member of TWC and I've been playing Total War games for couple months now. I just bought TW: Shogun 2 retail and have had problems installing the game due to the outrageous download time. I stumbled upon this forum which provides the most useful information however, had the same similar problem as dutch81.

I followed the steps through installing disk 1 and 2. Finished installing both disks at the completion of 15,692Mb assuming that is where steam will continue, since you mentioned there would be a little update at the end however, for reasons unknown, steam has the download rate only at approximately 3500 mb and I have to wait 14-17 hours extra to complete the rest. I would attempt again but this example has been my fourth try and thus, have grown too tired to risk waiting around again.

After having problems originally with steam going down today and trying to find information on how to download faster with the disk set, efficiently installing this game has been a total war of it's own...I hope others who have used this information have better luck in having it work than a few of us did. Other than that if anyone else has some useful tips for me, anything at this point would be much appreciated, thanks.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    Ok how do I close it properly then?
    In Windows 7 there is a sall arrow on the widow menu bar at the bottom - to the left of the Language button. I press that and it shows me the hidden icons. If I have Steam runing or have had it running but did not exit it there is still a Steam icon there.

Failing that - open Task Manager and close it there.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lowduvschit View Post
    Hey all I'm a new member of TWC and I've been playing Total War games for couple months now. I just bought TW: Shogun 2 retail and have had problems installing the game due to the outrageous download time. I stumbled upon this forum which provides the most useful information however, had the same similar problem as dutch81.

I followed the steps through installing disk 1 and 2. Finished installing both disks at the completion of 15,692Mb assuming that is where steam will continue, since you mentioned there would be a little update at the end however, for reasons unknown, steam has the download rate only at approximately 3500 mb and I have to wait 14-17 hours extra to complete the rest. I would attempt again but this example has been my fourth try and thus, have grown too tired to risk waiting around again.

After having problems originally with steam going down today and trying to find information on how to download faster with the disk set, efficiently installing this game has been a total war of it's own...I hope others who have used this information have better luck in having it work than a few of us did. Other than that if anyone else has some useful tips for me, anything at this point would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Welcome to TWC and glad you found us!

A little update - all 500Mb of it. That's not little.

I think the rate that you download the update is controlled by the speed of your internet / broadband. When I looked at the download it was getting 326Kb/second but later it was only getting under 10Kb/second and then improving to a massive 60Kb/second. So, even if you do have a decent broadband it may be affected by whomever esle is using the Steam server.

My theory on the slowdown is that people in the Philipines had woken up......

I guess you have some control over which server is used. I'd try to use your local one first rather than an overseas one. Things may have settled down a bit now.

I'm not sure but I htink you can stop and restart a Steam Download. It's been a while since I've done that. A lot depends upon if you want to risk it or not.

Oh I'm very sorry, I didn't thoroughly explain the 3500 mb download. I mean't after downloading disk 2 and having steam update, from the assumption steam would start at 15 692 mb, mines started at 3500 mb forcing me to wait for the other 12 000 or so to finish. Speed has been going approximately 100 - 200 kb/s.

Hehe and I keep going through the steps hoping that I misread it instead of just having bad luck. BTW, as for the 500 mb, after watching the original download time, if following these steps worked, 500 mb didn't look like a lot anymore haha.

Thanks the response though.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

I love you baby ... I have to admit I was scared but tried it again and low and behold it worked just as you said now ... I don't get it. Well I got the game in and I am just working on the update now ... you saved me at least 4 hours of waiting.

+rep!!!!
    ok i already gave you some recently ... I'll give you some soon!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast