Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rome: Total War Problems

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Icon2 Re: Rome: Total War Problems

Just run Auslogics Registry Cleaner and it's free to use, but you should also grab Auslogics Disk Defrag to maintain your HDD and also free to use. After that just reboot your PC before you reinstalled Rome TW.

k thx i try it but how do i play as factions if I uninstall then reinstall?

how do i uninstall? I got rome total war v1.6 with barbarian inv.

nvm I figured out how to install it where is the rome tw folder???

ok I uninstalled rome total war, ran the 2 things should I shut down now?

I cant delete the rome tw folder cause its on a disk look

I did everything but I cant find setup.exe i installed it and its still a cabinet file and I can only play it when the disk is in still
    Last edited by irishron; March 24, 2011 at 07:47 AM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Rome: Total War Problems

The disc has to be in the drive to play. It is part of CA's copy protection scheme.

(((((((( everything is exactly the same i didnt delete the rtw folder do you think that changed anything?

To do a clean install, you have delete the RTW folder and run a registry cleaner first.

I uninstalled
    Ran registry cleaner
    Ran disk defrag
    turned off laptop
    turned on laptop
    installed rome total war
    played rome total war
    it was the same and I there is still cabinet files there!! I still have all my saved progress too! When I uninstalled it asked me if I wanted to delete saved data and I clicked YES but I still have all my saved stuff. Anything I did wrong and btw I have no idea what you where talking about "rome total war folder" I showed in a pic what rome total war is on my laptop.

You have to delet the folder manually. You have to do it yourself. The uninstaller was never written to delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascreel View Post
    I got Rome Total War last weekend and my save doesn't work i've searched all over the internet ( mostly google searches ) and haven't found any solutions. It says Save Failed: Couldn't create save fle on disk? I am on my admin account on my computer ( Toshiba ) and I use Windows XP. All others who've had this problem all seem to be using Vista.

Also, I have crashes to my desktop randomly....
    Just how much free space do you have on your hard drive? You're not running up against the maximum capacity are you? Please give us the total GB used and total GB potential. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

I dont use my toshiba for the game I use the other labtop the game works fine on the other one but I cant unlock all characters due to a cabinet error, how do I FIND the r:tw folder? and manually delete it? Also on the other labtop I have +190GB of space left ( not compressed ) its rather new 4 months.

-- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please use the EDIT button

I need to be able to go into the data file but its a cabinet I need to also some cheats dont work like process_rq cause I cant go into the files bleh i still dont know how to do any of the stuff I tried it but not working i never deleted rome total war file cause it doesnt exist.
    Last edited by Brusilov; April 04, 2011 at 05:25 AM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

When you install a game onto a Windows 7 system it will install the game to where you point it to but it will also install into the 'virtual store' or 'appdata' folder. Once you've uninstalled the game you need to locate both of these and delete them. If you don't then that it why you see the save games still.

To find the appdata folder you will need to change your folder options to not 'hide hidden folders and files':
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Once you've done that run %appdata% and then follow the path to the fies. It will probably be c:\users\"user account"\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

it wasnt in the location which you thought it might be btw I am trying to get rid of the cabinet problem

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

try using the search program so that you can delete the cab files from there

... need to be able to go into the data file but its a cabinet I need to also some cheats dont work like process_rq cause I cant go into the files bleh i still dont know how to do any of the stuff I tried it but not working i never deleted rome total war file cause it doesnt exist.
    OK, it's difficult to know exactly what the problem is here because you're flitting about to many different subjects at near-lightspeed.

It looks from my perspective that you're having trouble with a .cab file and you're using a cheat to unlock the factions without playing through the requirements. Are you aware that cabinet files aren't normally installed to the system and remain on the disc? If you have a .cab file on your system then I must ask - where did you buy the game from? Good luck!

I ordered the game off Amazon.com for 12.99. Its just the standard gold edition. Btw all the problems are linked around the same problem, the data files are in 2 data folders data1 and data2 if I click either it says its unreadable. The cabinets I believe contain the info I need. I dont think I need to delete them. I'm just trying to figure out how to get into my data folder to change the adjustments. I want to play as a different faction. I've already finished a full map campaign as the Brutii, Greeks, and Carthaginians but i'd like to play as Armenia or Macedonia.

Here's an open question to all R:TW players - are Armenia or Macedonia playable? I don't own the game so I don't know myself.

I ordered the game off Amazon.com for 12.99. Its just the standard gold edition. Btw all the problems are linked around the same problem, the data files are in 2 data folders data1 and data2 if I click either it says its unreadable. The cabinets I believe contain the info I need. I dont think I need to delete them. I'm just trying to figure out how to get into my data folder to change the adjustments. I want to play as a different faction. I've already finished a full map campaign as the Brutii, Greeks, and Carthaginians but i'd like to play as Armenia or Macedonia.
    You've settled my mind about whether this was a pirated version or not. The question seems to be that you're fixated on unlocking those Data1 and Data2 .cab files - you seem to think that the answer to unlocking those factions lies in those files. But why do you think that? Have you found some website that points to those files for unlocking all factions in the game? I don't have personal experience with this game but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your answer is far more simple than decompiling a .cab file.

As an aside - you mentioned in your first post that you have general problems with CTDs and such. Have you checked your system for viruses? Do you have virus protection software on that laptop?

And lastly - I noticed that irishron asked you for your DxDiag log but you didn't provide one. It might help but nothing is certain. Here's how:

DxDiag is easy to run if you have any knowledge of Windows. Go to the "Start" button and in that menu choose "Run Program" option ("Run..." in Vista IIRC). In the pop-up field type "dxdiag" and press enter. This is the DirectX test program - let it finish the test. After the test is finished choose the button toward the bottom labeled "Save All Information..." and save it to your desktop. Next open up this forum and post the results by copying and pasting directly to the forum. Please don't post attachments as they take up more space and time - just copy and paste. Please post ALL info and if you can please wrap it in a spoiler tag to minimize page size.

Good luck!

Many mods Macedonia is playable. Armenia possibly is under another faction name.

The .cab files are what the game is packed and encrypted in. You have to use the uninstaller to get what's in there. Microsoft did make a cab viewer once but I don't know if it would work on these and I don't believe there was an extractor as such.

There is an unpacker in the Workshop for the .paks modders use.

I dont have crash to desktops anymore

-- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please use the EDIT button

In any case, Irishiron how do I unlock the unplayable factions? I cant go to descr_strat because the data is data1 and data2 and I cant enter them

-- Please don't keep on double posting.
    Last edited by Brusilov; April 10, 2011 at 08:08 AM.

The descr_strat file is in Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign. I just checked my vanilla copy.

But thats just my problem I cant click the data folder...

Disable the UAC.
    Do this. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397636

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast