Thread: The real Yari Ashigaru spear

Default The real Yari Ashigaru spear

is about 5-8 meter long . . . . . .

But in game they came on the shorter end in fact much shorter.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The real Yari Ashigaru spear

There was no set length, although the conscript tended to have a longer spear than the samurai.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Not necessarily. Lets say the average Japanese ashigaru is bout 1.5 meters, from the demo I can say that the ashigaru spear is about 3 times the height of the ashigaru, 1.5x3 is about 5.5m

Oda Spear is about 7.8 meter them being the longest. The shortest are Hojo's they are about 5 meter. All other varies between Oda's and Hojo's.

At those length they should appear as long as the Greek hoplite spear in Rome Total War that is if not longer.
    Last edited by Miracles; March 14, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    Not necessarily. Lets say the average Japanese ashigaru is bout 1.5 meters, from the demo I can say that the ashigaru spear is about 3 times the height of the ashigaru, 1.5x3 is about 5.5m

The average Japanese fighting man is under 5 foot tall? Seems a bit on the short side boyo. That's a good bit less than the average height of modern Japanese females. The modern Japanese male is on average 1.715m. Well fed, well trained, and developed warriors are on average taller than the average fella. Sure overall height is probably a bit more than it was during the Sengoku period but I don't think it's changed that much.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Ashigaru were little more than conscript farmers, and the average person was alot shorter back then. I doubt they were anything near well fed, trained, and developed, maybe their muscles from farmwork, but not in terms of...height, can't get that much milk nowadays. Well anyway my estimate is just a number, whats important to note is that the spear is about 3x taller than the man, therefore it well exceeds the requirement of 5m