Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To everyone who has been awaiting this game for eleven years...

Default To everyone who has been awaiting this game for eleven years...

I just wanted to say for all of you who have been actively awaiting this game for the last eleven years, I hope you really have fun! Really enjoy it - it's been a long time coming and try not to examine it for 'bugs'. Play it, enjoy it and only moan about something if it's really annoying! Avoid the forums for a bit and try and make up your own mind - people have claimed that Rome was 'unplayable' and other nonsense on release, yet I played it extensively and exclusively for months without any mods or patches and I bet thousands did the same. I know what this forum's like.

This is what I plan to do with Shogun II, but especially Rome II - as that will be my 'Shogun II'.

Once again, you've waited a long time, so enjoy - don't bug search.

Sayonara!
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Default Re: To everyone who has been awaiting this game for eleven years...

11 years ago? I was 13 when I was playing Shogun 1!

Im avoiding the forums. I ruined Civ 5 for myself after enjoying the game at first, and then depressing myself on the game's forum on flaws that I had not encountered, and havnt played it since.

Great post btw

Kai.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Been waiting for this since I was 13 (back in 2003 when I first got this game) - I remember a particular event in Shogun 1 where my drunk dad staggered into my room while I was defending my castle against the Mongol horde (approx 4 armies vs 1). I dont know why I remember, only that I ended up slaughtering the Mongols and having an epic time =P

Thanks mate, looking forward to Rome 2 myself. But lets enjoy Shogun 2 for the meantime first aye? =P
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; March 14, 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Amazing Horse's Avatar Civis

I was eight years old eleven years ago. I'm not sure I even knew what a Shogun was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kye View Post

Im avoiding the forums. I ruined Civ 5 for myself after enjoying the game at first, and then depressing myself on the game's forum on flaws that I had not encountered, and havnt played it since.

Great post btw

Kai.
    I was 9. By christ those were the days. getting all my mates over to discuss how best to proceed in the war for Japan.

Brings a tear to the eye

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    I just wanted to say for all of you who have been actively awaiting this game for the last eleven years, I hope you really have fun! Really enjoy it - it's been a long time coming and try not to examine it for 'bugs'. Play it, enjoy it and only moan about something if it's really annoying! Avoid the forums for a bit and try and make up your own mind - people have claimed that Rome was 'unplayable' and other nonsense on release, yet I played it extensively and exclusively for months without any mods or patches and I bet thousands did the same. I know what this forum's like.

This is what I plan to do with Shogun II, but especially Rome II - as that will be my 'Shogun II'.

Sayonara!
    excellent post.

i try to avoid game forums in the 1st few days of playin a new game (unless it has serious errors) as sometimes all the negative stuff some people post takes away some of the enjoyment.

civ 5 is a classic example, some people say that it sucks/is unplayable but ive played it for 100's of hundreds so it must be doin somethin right.

much better to play without any outside opinions to properly form your own!

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Xenophon View Post
    Been waiting for this since I was 13 (back in 2003 when I first got this game) - I remember a particular event in Shogun 1 where my drunk dad staggered into my room while I was defending my castle against the Mongol horde (approx 4 armies vs 1). I dont know why I remember, only that I ended up slaughtering the Mongols and having an epic time =P

Thanks mate, looking forward to Rome 2 myself. But lets enjoy Shogun 2 for the meantime first aye? =P
    Yep. I just hope my copy shows up tomorrow.

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

monsterfurby's Avatar Tiro

Thanks man, this is a great thread, very much like a rock in that chaos surrounding every release day.

Also, since I bought Shogun around a year late, I guess I was 12 then... Man, some time sure has passed since.
    Resident radical moderate.

Yiiii Man i love Release days for a new game, thought you can have a big bet most of us will tab down and look into the forums ever 2 hours or so.

Edit : I never played shogun, maybe around 6 hours total, just some years ago.
    What did the muslim say to the mongol?

Dont sack me

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post

Sayonara!
    Rome was unplayable, as was Empire. Its not nonsense just because it didnt happen for you.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I was 9 years old when Shogun TW came out, and I was absolutely AMAZED with that game. The manual became my most loved book.

Let's hope this will amaze me as well.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

My shangri-la was gunpowder. My fave age is Imperialism and TW doesn't seem to want to go there. After Empire introduced multi theatre's I thought "here we go". Maybe I'll have to wait another 11 years....

Shogun was my least favourite of the entire TW series. I've found it impossible to get excited about. Being a TW fan I'll enivitably break and get it eventually. But one thing I've learnt is that recent TW titles have required often several patches to get them chugging along. Both Empire and Napoleon not only needed patching, but extensive mod work to lift the experience to anywhere near expectation. From the demo experience nothing has changed in my view. Units move too fast, battles almost form themselves (because of this). Casualties are horrific and can occur in a blink. All units seem to blend into each other at a medium distance making it difficult to impossible to discern anything more than "the red ones are mine". And everything seems way too "clean". Hundreds of men hacking into each other with swords and not a dirty uniform or splatter of blood anywhere.

However, I do agree with the OP. If you've been looking forward to it - play it and enjoy it. If not (like me), you probably have to take the opposite advice. Keep an eye on the forums. Check out the views of players. Keep up on patch releases and feedback. See what the modders have to say. Some of the idea's in the mod threads can give a good insight into the vanilla game and what can (and at times should) be changed. Then make your mind up.

PS: As someone who has a quad core CPU and a DX11 capable card and OS, when the game is patched to actually support and utilise both will likely be the point when I get involved. Let's all hope, regardless of "camp", that this doesn't take too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Kye View Post

Great post btw

Kai.

I'm the same lol. Loved Civ5 but I couldn't help trawling forums and it depressed me. Then wanted to give Civ4 another run out, was installing it, whilst it was installing, I started browsing forums and the crap about quad core performance on Civ4 bummed me out as well and ended up not playing cos it was at the back of my mind lol. Thing is, its all true what they say but once you start playing you get used to it and have fun, but the way people put it, you end up no being bothered to start playing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleurion View Post
    Rome was unplayable, as was Empire. Its not nonsense just because it didnt happen for you.
    Oh comon, it was not unplayable.

I played mod from start wo mods for over a year, and from the first patches on.

Same for empire. Not the best, but highly playable.

To many snobs that stop playing for the slightest thing.
    What did the muslim say to the mongol?

Dont sack me

Quote Originally Posted by Engenberg View Post
    Oh comon, it was not unplayable.

I played mod from start wo mods for over a year, and from the first patches on.

Same for empire. Not the best, but highly playable.

To many snobs that stop playing for the slightest thing.
    unplayable

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
    Jump to: navigation, search
    [edit] English

[edit] Adjective

unplayable (comparative more unplayable, superlative most unplayable)

1. (of an audio or visual recording) Unable to be played on specified equipment, or at all.
    2. (cricket, soccer, of the delivery of a ball) Impossible to play, or to defend against.
    3. (of a game) That cannot be played, or is so tedious, complicated, etc. as to preclude playing.

Yep, that really applied to Empire, let alone Rome. So damned right about the 'snobs' comment as well.
    You're always going to get them though - no matter how good a game actually is.

And as I said, I bet it wasn't just me - it was more likely thousands of people who bought the game and didn't visit any forums (most people don't, you know).

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

I was 5 when that game came out, probably couldn't tell Shogun TW from Blues Clues

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

Total War....the bridge between generations!
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

comment

smiley face

Epic face

Super face

Jizz in my pants

GD vibes

I've waited for 11 years too. Every time a poll came out on what's the next Total War should be I always chose Shogun 2

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

11 years.... I now feel so old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast