Thread: Shogun Declaring War?

Default Shogun Declaring War?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/11/to...-2-review-224/

"When the AI assesses you as the biggest threat on the map, the Shogun decrees that you’re the enemy, and all the clans fall into line. A design feature to stop you sweeping effortlessly to victory, it changes the pace of the game remarkably: suddenly you’re under siege everywhere."

Regardless of the gameplay mechanic here... I wish to ask something.

I know very little on Japanese History (not to mention the Sengoku period), but I do not understand, I thought there were no Shogun at this time, since everyone was fighting for rule over Japan? Is it posessed by the Ashikaga or something?

Im waiting to be educated, I hope people take mercy on me :/

Default Re: Shogun Declaring War?

The game starts in 1545 IIRC, there was still an Ashikaga shogun (till 1573) - so if you're quick, the Ashikaga might still be there to declare you an enemy of the state...

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

There was still a shogun. The thing was, that nobody listened to him. There was actaully still an emperor at the time, too. Double whammy.

So, why bother with this mechanic if it really...doesnt seem historically right? Has this scenario come across in history with Japan? Powerless Shogun/Emperor says "kill this clan" and all clans agree?

WOuld the other clans..even listen?

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by TheOmegaGreen17 View Post
    So, why bother with this mechanic if it really...doesnt seem historically right? Has this scenario come across in history with Japan? Powerless Shogun/Emperor says "kill this clan" and all clans agree?

WOuld the other clans..even listen?
    it's not the fact that the other clans are doing it because the Shogun ordered it, just because you're too big a threat and it gives them an opportunity to gang up on you.
    it might not be 100 per cent accuratte, but it's a good gameplay mechanic for the mid-late game.

monsterfurby's Avatar Tiro

It's probably supposed to simulate the last struggle between the Eastern (Tokugawa-led) and Western (Toyotomi-loyal, Ishida-led) army, which can either be seen as Tokugawa/Date and others moving to take down Toyotomi or Toyotomi/Shimazu/Ishida/Mori and others trying to prevent Tokugawa from gaining supreme power.
    Resident radical moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
    It's probably supposed to simulate the last struggle between the Eastern (Tokugawa-led) and Western (Toyotomi-loyal, Ishida-led) army, which can either be seen as Tokugawa/Date and others moving to take down Toyotomi or Toyotomi/Shimazu/Ishida/Mori and others trying to prevent Tokugawa from gaining supreme power.
    The other example I was thking of: starting in the 1570s when Ashikaga Yoshiaki started to fall out with Oda Nobunaga, a bewildering assortment of allies came to his aid, including Oda family members (Asai clan), warrior monks, and other clans who would otherwise have little interest in the events of this region (Takeda clan), and it wasn't because they like the Ashikaga, rather that Oda was becoming too big of a threat.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
    omg thats so weird. In my Uesugi game, its basically East vs West. Me and my allies (Uesugi, Date, Takeda, and Ikko-ikki, along with other vassals) are fighting against the Oda, Hattori, Shoni, Chosokabe, and Tsutsui. The map is basically split in two, with me driving the main force into western Japan.