Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam will not install Shogun!

Default Steam will not install Shogun!

Hi,
    I bought shogun via Amazon and so it arrived today, although the official release is tomorrow. I started to install Shogun and it worked until the code entering step. Then Steam told me, the product couldn't be installed because it hadn't been released yet. Can I circumvent this restriction because I'd like to play it today

Default Re: Steam will not install Shogun!

Nope sorry, not legally anyway. Nothing to do but stare lustfully at the box.

(Which, incidentally, is more than I can do, because Royal Mail sucks.)

They should should find some way to let us install - but not play. Installing a game of this size could take quite some time, and it would be nice if you could do it the day before and then just start it up immidiatly when it gets activated.

Shikayama's Avatar Libertus

So isn't there any chance to just install the files so you can activate it exactly on 0 o'clock?

I've not heard of a pre-install, sadly. It would've been a good idea though (but even then I'm not sure if you'd have to have purchased on steam - not sure on that though).

I feel sorry for those who buy it from steam itself, with no pre-download and install, those servers are going to be tough tommorow.

man_utdmasta's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post

My problem too, the mail service in Britain is appalling

'Now I am become Death, the Distroyer of worlds' - Robert J. Oppenheimer

Yes but I've bought it on DVD, that means I didn't download it from steam directly. The only problem is the registration.

By the way, German Post might be called inefficient sometimes, but they sent it to me in a half day ;D

I feel sorry for those who buy it from steam itself, with no pre-download and install, those servers are going to be tough tommorow.
    Really? Most people don't mind waiting a day if thats what it takes. We are not twelve years old anymore.

Civis

This is some Tantalus-like Torture!

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Tullaris View Post
    Really? Most people don't mind waiting a day if thats what it takes. We are not twelve years old anymore.
    Yes, most people are fine waiting that long, but why wait when you can get a hard copy for the exact same price in most places?
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

I think they're being paranoid because there has already been a code breach. However I obtained that information second hand, so it might not be reliable.

Only a few more hours guys, we can do it.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Don't forget about the Patch on release. Everyone shall have to suffer Steam's painful servers. There is no escape.

Has a patch on release been confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullaris View Post
    Even adults get annoyed when tech fails.

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    Yes, most people are fine waiting that long, but why wait when you can get a hard copy for the exact same price in most places?
    My point exactly, unless you can't get to a shop, the convinience of steam seems to evaporate (oh god bad pun) when the servers are clogged.

Still, never experienced steam on a release day before, so it's all conjecture - might go like clockwork. (Couldn't find a steam related pun, so I went with that.)

"legally" myass. If you bought the game, hence paid for it already, you own the right to install and play it. Period! There's no nonsense about you being legally required to wait for a steam unlock code, what are they gonna do? Send lawyers after you? Sue you for playing the game you bought?

I predict you didnt intend to justify it, I'm not aiming at you, just at the whole steam unlock nonsense as a whole.
    I love Steam actually, works great for me every day. But the second your credit card has been charged you do in fact legally have the right to install and use the product you own.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Don't forget about the Patch on release. Everyone shall have to suffer Steam's painful servers. There is no escape.
    The Greenland/Iceland server is usually very fast and unclogged. But its true!

Quote Originally Posted by man_utdmasta View Post
    I wouldn't call it appalling, not compared to some countries. Personally, I've had very few problems with it.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Some more paranoid games will actually nuke your copy and make it unplayable if it detects it has been played before game day. I know a guy who works as a reviewer, he has to make sure Xboxlive doesn't activate when he reviews something on the xbox 360, as it could cause his console to shut down.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by man_utdmasta View Post

Ohhh don't even get me started on the postal service haha, i just posted a rant on tumblr to vent my frustration.

I remember a time when you pre-ordered a game and you KNEW you'd get it a day early, now you're lucky if you get it on release day!

Dragooon's Avatar Centenarius

I don't get it, the unlock's suppose to happen at 12AM GMT but Steam says the game will unlock in 21 hours, it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleurion View Post
    "legally" myass. If you bought the game, hence paid for it already, you own the right to install and play it. Period! There's no nonsense about you being legally required to wait for a steam unlock code, what are they gonna do? Send lawyers after you? Sue you for playing the game you bought?

I predict you didnt intend to justify it, I'm not aiming at you, just at the whole steam unlock nonsense as a whole.
    I love Steam actually, works great for me every day. But the second your credit card has been charged you do in fact legally have the right to install and use the product you own.
    There are a few rules you got to follow I guess. Just because you paid for a product doesn't you make the owner of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast