Thread: Civil Wars?

Default Civil Wars?

I am wondering if civil wars are possible for the Western Roman Empire (or for that matter the Eastern Roman Empire). I am presently playing as the Western Roman Empire and it would be a welcome challenge to have some popular field army commander try to rise up and spark a civil war. If I know there will never be any civil wars, there will never be any consequences to having generals becoming increasingly popular through repeated victories, it takes a bit out of the game.

Is there any way that the longer a general is assigned to a field army or a region, the more of a rapport he builds up with those forces/citizens and the more likely he is to be able to use them to rise up? Is there any way for the game engine to work that sort of thing?

I notice some officers have loyalty/disloyalty traits that cause -1 or +1, etc, to loyalty, but I don't see a column/row for loyalty in the area where the other values are present, command, management, influence, etc.

Was loyalty removed as a factor in this mod?

Anyway, a civil war or two, an attempted usurpation, it would really throw a curve-ball at me and serve as a welcome challenge. I'm hoping that the Huns eventually come at me with possibly overwhelming strength as I'd like to face such a brutal challenge... Particularly after destroying the Visigoths, Alamanni, and Burgundii, and all but obliterating the Ostrogoths and dealing serious blows to the Vandals. I'd like to face some internal challenges, just to mix it up and have a change.

Default Re: Civil Wars?

What are your difficulty setups?

Art by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    What are your difficulty setups?

Campaign = hard
    Battles = medium

It appears that for the Julian the Apostate mod there are loyalty levels and loyalty is a factor in the game, but for Ruina Romae there is no loyalty factor in the mod. Is there a way to turn loyalty values on so I can experience civil wars/rebellions/usurpation attempts?

No, this feature has been disabled for IBFD/RR. The Western Roman Rebels faction are the Imperium Constantini.

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    Campaign = hard
    Battles = medium
    If battles are turning out to be to easy to achieve, maybe you should set up your battles on hard.

Art by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    No, this feature has been disabled for IBFD/RR. The Western Roman Rebels faction are the Imperium Constantini.

Is there any way to patch/edit it to have loyalty turned back on and factored into the game?

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    If battles are turning out to be to easy to achieve, maybe you should set up your battles on hard.

I'm not having issues with the tactical situations... I often have to fight reasonably hard and rely on solid planning/deployment to win battles (I've lost about 12-15 battles out of about 150 battles, mainly because of smart planning and because I strive to avoid battle unless I am confident I can win).

My main issue is with the strategic situation. I don't like the idea of being able to have field armies always ready to go crush whatever barbarian horde happens to be trying to cross the Rhine or the Danube. I'd like to have some curve-balls thrown into the equation where instead of having four field armies available to deal with Rhine/Danube crisis situations, I only have two armies available because one of the four armies now answers to a usurper and one of the remaining three armies has to deal with the usurper.

It's not a deal-breaker or a game ending problem for me, it is just something I think might add a new layer of realism to an already awesome mod, making it a wonderfully spectacular mod.

Lack of starting infrastructure in some cities/areas annoys me, although I realize they have it that way to add another aspect of challenge... However, in the case of Carthage I looked into the status of the Roman aqueduct in the early 5th century and couldn't find anything that suggested it had been cut by enemies/bandits or had been allowed to fall into total worthlessness via neglect, so I did the process_cq on an aqueduct in Carthage on the first turn.

I prefer the challenges to come in the form of the overall strategic situation, in addition to the tactical situation on the battlefield. More than once I've had a badly outnumbered garrison reduced to virtually nothing in the process of holding the walls and destroying the enemy attackers almost to the man. Being at war with multiple barbarian tribes means I have to bounce troops back and forth from one situation to another, but the lack of representation of internal strife/troubles, aside from the usurper Constantius in Gaul, takes a little bit out of the game.

I'd like an unexpected curve-ball such as "general so and so just led his men to victory in six battles against the Alamanni, smashed them into pieces, and now his men are rallying around him as he proclaims himself Imperator."

Is there any way to patch/edit it to have loyalty turned back on and factored into the game?
    Yes, it's possible, of course, but not without a great deal of editing and the removal of a playable faction. And like I've explained before we're no longer working on IBFD 7.03, so no such feature will be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Yes, it's possible, of course, but not without a great deal of editing and the removal of a playable faction. And like I've explained before we're no longer working on IBFD 7.03, so no such feature will be released.

If I were looking for something that would get into the very late Western Empire, perhaps 460 or 470 for a starting point, with the idea being to try to recover the entire Western Empire or at least defend what little is left and keep it from being taken out, or a starting point of perhaps the early 6th century as the Eastern Empire, with the idea being to play as Justinian and launch a grand campaign to recover the West, what mod would be the one to go with?

If I were looking for something that would get into the very late Western Empire, perhaps 460 or 470 for a starting point, with the idea being to try to recover the entire Western Empire or at least defend what little is left and keep it from being taken out, or a starting point of perhaps the early 6th century as the Eastern Empire, with the idea being to play as Justinian and launch a grand campaign to recover the West, what mod would be the one to go with?
    Then Rio's mod would be a good choice! ( link ).

Yep! As Joar said it, Rio's mod is the way to go. However, hold on tight because your ass will be painfully whooped .
    Mine was .

Art by Joar

i see the way he tackles problems in RR so i have no doubt he'll do fine with Rio's.