Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Expanded Map Mod 3.5 for Vanilla 3.2 (Updated Aug 6th)

Default Re: Expanded Map Mod 2.0 for Vanilla and FRoME (UPDATE April 3rd)

I have a problem.

My game crashes to desktop when it shows me the loading screen of Frome.

I use Frome 2.05, the animation submod, the permanent arrows minimod and your regions mod, which should be compatible with each other. I don't know why it crashes but after I installed your new version it always crashes. So I reinstalled the game but nothing changes.
    Anyone an idea?

This is an absolutely wonderful mod, and I'm greatly enjoying playing as Dunland. I'm having the problem of no campaign music, as well, though -- is there a quickfix for that, or will I have to wait for your next update? Regardless, great work.
    Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
    An open mouth often catches a closed fist!

I will release a patch sometime in the next week or so to correct the missing music error as well as one or two other minor errors.

@Bund weicher Birnen

I'm not sure what would cause a CTD during the loading screen. That typically means that there is something wrong with the model_db in my experience, but if it is related to the map mod, it probably has something to do with a botched install, but you sound like you know what you're up to, so I don't know if it's that. Does it give you a log?

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Downloading this and Frome now... Very excited to try TATW with these additions.. I had played TATW to death and was getting bored of the same old same old.. Thnx for spicing up One of the greatest mods out there.

Much respect. Macrath

I've played a good 65 turns with this mod, and it has made a great deal of difference in the gameplay as the High Elves. I'm now able to get a positive economy going! And all the new settlements I've found make perfect sense in location. It always felt pretty sparse before.

Thanks for the excellent mod, and sorry for the installation troubles I brought upon myself and then afflicted you with.

@ Il Ducce

Problem solved. I think that the installer of Frome didn't installed the game correctly because some files were missing, but now it works fine .

How do i install the FROME version of this mod?? no instructions for FROME in a read me or anything??

The instructions are the same as for the vanilla, you merely install FRoME first and then copy the expanded map over it, and delete map.rwm.

Unzipped, copied the data folder over the TATW data folder, deleted map.rwm. and nothing changed. Using Frome version.

Bund weicher Birnen seemed to be having a bit of trouble with the FRoME install. He said that there might be missing files, so you might want to look into that.

Frome installs and plays fine, but when i add this mod to TATW no changes occur in game.
    Do you mean FROME has missing files or that your mod has missing files?

is the Map.rwm file supposed to reappear after i delete it??
    I delete map.rwm start the game and see no changes to the map, but when i check back in The third age data/maps/base map.rwm has reappeared just wondering if thats supposed to happen because i have tried everything i could think of to get this to work with FROME but no luck yet

LOL i apologize everything works fine. It was my stupidity that was the problem. You see i just assumed that this mod "Extended" the map itself i did not realize it simply added more Cities/castles.

I like all the extra towns, kind of feels a bit crowded in some areas tho. I don't think it could hurt to add some more land... but then again i am not familiar with Tolkein's map of middle earth and i do not know if that entire map is in TATW.
    so yeah if there is any additional land that is in Middle earth but not currently in TATW i would like to see it put in the mod..lol

I am rambling so shhhhh
    Macrath

I played this time with Mordor, but I think Mordor need some TLC. I made depts from the start. I was able to start in every settlement a dirt road order. I did not recruit new units. Within the next turn I had less money than the turn before and in the second turn when the dirt roads were finished I were deep in the red.
    I could not build anything, I could not increase tax, since than I would have shrinked the population.
    Mordor got some new settlements, but they earn too little income to support the modest mordor army.
    The most settlements are small castle settlements which have nearly no income and very small population grows.
    No, wonder that Morder almost never became a mayor power in FROME. Since I played FROME, the dwarfs were always overpowered. Only good think with the settlement mod, is that the Ered Luin Dwarfs start often a war against High Elves.
    Don't get me wrong FROME is great, the settlement mod from Ducce is great, but Dwarfs are unbalanced, Mordor is too weak, Harad is too weak and Gondor too strong.
    Mordor needs some bigger towns, more income, or the Mordor Generals should have less upkeep.

In TATW Vanilla, Mordor is too strong, which is imho better than a too strong Gondor. In old RR/RC Rhun was too strong. Because, the plate armour of the Rhun Generals and Loke units were almost invincible.

The best way to make the game more interesting imho would be to give Mordor more income, or reduce the upkeep for their units.

Mordor has in the Nurnen Area alot of waste lands. There is not one settlement there. It might be, because there is no bridge over the river. So, the land is not reachable. But, has it to be like that? Is there a reason why all the settlements have to be close to one place, between Minas Morgul, Black Gates and Mount Doom?
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

This is good feedback. I will definitely look in to giving Mordor a bit of a buff in the next patch. Gondor and Harad should be roughly evenly matched now, although I might consider giving Harad Erelond (the island) and adding a port from the start. Although the good-evil discrepancy could be caused, as was mentioned in a few other threads, by whether you play mostly good or mostly evil. If you play evil, the good factions will dominate and if you play good the evil factions will dominate. The only exception to this I have seen is the dwarves, who should be nerfed, but I feel like that's a export_descr_units/buildings and autoresolve issue than a campaign map issue.

I edit all of my unit numbers/stats in every game I play and I have experimented with lowering mordor units upkeep/recruitment cost (extremely for the basic orc units, but I raised the recruitment cost by a lot for trolls, so that it stings some when you recruit them ) and everything worked out pretty well. Gondor had to defend against some big stacks of orc bands and some such, giving the game a more movie-style touch.

And as for playing as Mordor...nothing shouts Dark Lord of Middle Earth more than sending stack after stack to die at gondor's gates while sitting all nice and cozy behind your fortified passes.

The Dwarves of the Blue Mountains seem far too easy of a campaign simply because of their location, Honestly the Orcs of Gundabad are your only Threat and they can barely dent any semi decent Dwarven unit. I find the use of good short bow units with some of the best Heavy infantry in the game to be quite and overpowering force. However a well put together army of Cavalry is often a good challenge as the dwarves but once again that means you would have to encounter an enemy much further away from your homeland, or by some slim chance have Rhun somehow launch an attack on you or Rohan decide to go eveil and take on the Dwarves lol

I have a game-stopping crash involving a siege of Imladris. There have been crashes here before, but reloading resolved them. This one doesn't want to resolve. It doesn't matter whether I try to sally forth or sit and wait.

Mappo's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Il Ducce View Post
    This is good feedback. I will definitely look in to giving Mordor a bit of a buff in the next patch. Gondor and Harad should be roughly evenly matched now, although I might consider giving Harad Erelond (the island) and adding a port from the start. Although the good-evil discrepancy could be caused, as was mentioned in a few other threads, by whether you play mostly good or mostly evil. If you play evil, the good factions will dominate and if you play good the evil factions will dominate. The only exception to this I have seen is the dwarves, who should be nerfed, but I feel like that's a export_descr_units/buildings and autoresolve issue than a campaign map issue.

Ciao Il Duce, I had the same problem that took Jackie Treehorn. I started three times a campaign with Mordor, but eventually I had to give up. The first time I've built the dirty road for every settlement, but after three turns I was already without money. Then I restarted building many fewer dirty roads, but even so in short I was without money. Then I restarted without building or recruiting anyone, but even so after a few turns I finished without having more money. Definitely there is something wrong in the economic system of Mordor.
    In any case, congratulations for the work done and continues to develop this awesome work.
    Ciao
    Faithful in the centuries
    &

Farms.

No, I'm serious. It's all castles in there and trade is poor, so the +50 of farms, even with farm income varying every turn, will get you more than roads. Barad-dur should, of course, build it's mines. That's the best thing you can do to start.