Thread: Kill General, Army Flee

KozCDVI's Avatar Domesticus

Default Kill General, Army Flee

...And instantly his army dissolves into a fog of white flags as the leaderless army flees.

Is this really how battles are supposed to play out in Shogun 2? I play the historical battle and as soon as Tokugawa is slain, everybody in his army decides to cheese it! And the same for me; if Mitsunari perishes, I've lost. I'm hoping this is just a demo glitch of some kind.

Anybody else had shocking twists like this?

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Kill General, Army Flee

I have as well, and it's bothering. It could get annoying real fast if this is how it is in the real game. I suppose I could follow the advice and just keep my general out of danger as much as possible, but what about the AI's? We haven't confirmed yet how it behaves, if it does like before and charges its general in constantly, battles will be simple.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

You have to remember too that CA already said that generals are no longer shock troops that you can send in and they take forever to kill. So you have to be careful what you do with them.

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

It makes sence. If you were fighting and your unit revieved word that the general had been slain, what would you do? I know at least that I would most likely run unless i was motivated otherwise by something else to stand and fight.

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

there is a toppic about this

I would guess that if your Daymio dies, you die too since he owns all the soldiers, so it makes sense

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well what if we have two or more generals on our side? Will the entire army rout if one dies?

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

it's obvious, ca wants us to use the general never.

just have him behind the lines and if he gets killed by being stupid, then you lose. i like this sytem better.

Foederatus

I have already played many battles where my general died or fled the battle and I still managed to win.
    You may remember me from the official forums as Silva.

I was the one who wouldn't shut up.

KozCDVI's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by homefry View Post
    it's obvious, ca wants us to use the general never.

just have him behind the lines and if he gets killed by being stupid, then you lose. i like this sytem better.
    Well if you've played to the status of a heroic victory and the enemy are on it's last legs, then your general gets killed by a stray bullet or arrow, it'd be incredibly annoying and rubbish if your pretty-much-victorious warriors then decided it was pointless and flee. Bushido doesn't condone such an action, and ...Well, its just pants.

However, I do submit that if it's your faction leader or a key person then it would be slightly more likely; like at Sekigahara if Tokugawa is slain, the only winner could be Mitsunari, if you know where I'm coming from...

Also, what happens if both generals die at the same time?
    Finally, I think the feature from Napoleon of generals sometimes being injured instead of simply killed was a better way of doing things (I did notice this happened in the tutorial campaign).

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow