Thread: Custom Battles - Adding Portraits as Unit Icons for Generals

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Custom Battles - Adding Portraits as Unit Icons for Generals

Hi,

I have been fiddling a bit with modding this weekend, and I decided to embark on a bit of a mini-mod kind of spontaneously. Since all 2D graphical questioons go here, I thought I'd ask you all.

It kind or irks me to go to the Custom Battles menu (which I do all the time) and see the Generals of various armies with a relatively lame unit icon with a generic general unit. Some were done decently... you can tell Napoleon is Napoleon... the Blucher is Blucher, but many others are simply too generic (I'm thinking like Soult or Kutuzov here).

Many of these Generals featured in Custom Battles have a custom ui portrait that I decided would be better to use. It really looks sharp, and even though the list of generals who have custom portraits isn't the complete from Custom Battles, having them all be actual 1st party artwork makes it look good.

The problem: some of the portraits show up properly, and some do not! Doing all of them the exact same way has resulted in some showing their portrait and others not. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or wisdom on this?

Portraits

For the French we see that Ney & Soult's portraits took, but Napoleon's, edited in the same fashion, seems to stay default:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Maybe you can't change the guy in the last slot or something silly, right?)

The Prussian's only available custom portrait is for Blucher, in the last slot... he worked fine:

The Austrians had a mix. Alvinci (seen here for 580 gold) has a portrait, but it refuses to load. Schwarzenberg, to his right, loaded just fine:

And lastly we have the Russians, all 4 of their changed portraits took:
    (Poor Tsar Alexander with no stars, lol.

wtf.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with things like this or any thoughts as to why it might be happening. What I did was to extract the portraits using PFM, and also the unit cards. I then simply renamed the portraits to the name used by the unit card and created a mod with the new unit cards. No actual editing or resaving of the .tga files occured; only renaming them in Windows. All portraits done the same way.

Any thoughts?
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Default Re: Custom Battles - Adding Portraits as Unit Icons for Generals

I'm not sure about your method, but I know that all those unit-icons can be changed by simply editing the images with GIMP

klesh's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Custom Battles - Adding Portraits as Unit Icons for Generals

Quote Originally Posted by richardsharpe View Post
    I'm not sure about your method, but I know that all those unit-icons can be changed by simply editing the images with GIMP

Im not editing the images, but rather swapping the icon image the game uses by renaming files. I have photoshop cs5, but its not needed. As you can see, I'm able to get 99% of the images up and working, its just a few that refuse to load. I'm making progress on this front in another project but Napoleon's icon still refuses to be changed.

Edit: Ive actually figured this out now. There were 2 other mods which I had running that themselves had a unit icon for Napoleon which was causing the problems. The Austiran Alvinci's problem was an error on my part as well. Id10t error, I believe.
    Last edited by klesh; March 20, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW