Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 getting great reviews so far

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Default Shogun 2 getting great reviews so far

There seems to be alot of excitement about Shogun 2 right now and i'm feeling it too. Just wanted to list the reviews so far for those who havent seen them. I'll also list the same reviewers score for Empire as a comparison. Blue for Shogun. Red for Empire

Shogun
    Empire

Eurogamer 90 90
    Edge 90 90
    Gameinformer 95 95
    Gamestar 87 90
    Meristation 90 90
    PC Gamer UK 92 94
    Total Video Games 90 90

(source:Metacritic).

So far, the majority of the reviewers are giving Shogun 2 exactly the same score as Empire when it came out. I dont know if this is a good thing or bad thing. The only difference i have seen so far in a review is PC Gamer UK giving Shogun 92 (which lower than what they gave Empire).

I haven't handpicked the results, i just took them from here and used the same reviewers Empire score.

i've edited in some new reviews
    Last edited by Heinz Guderian; March 12, 2011 at 05:31 PM.

Default Re: Shogun 2 getting great reviews so far

I guess we'll find out personally in a few days time. It either means that they've finally given well thought out reviews, or that they're standards still stink and we're getting a lemon. Based on the demo and the mods that freed things up a bit, I'm actually being a tad less skeptical than in the past and thinking this might be good egg.

NowGamer.com has given Shogun 2 92%. Not bad.

They gave Empire 100%. Srsly, see for yourself.

lol woops.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    NowGamer.com has given Shogun 2 92%. Not bad.

They gave Empire 100%. Srsly, see for yourself.

lol woops.
    That makes me sad.

I dont want to be a negative nancy. Its just the review system the industry has in place needs an overhaul. Many gamers will rely on several reviews to research a game. When there is a review system that gives Empire better scores thatn M2TW or Rome and this case Shogun 2 (although i havent played this yet), and in some cases, lol 100%, then people need to make a point to the reviewers.

I would also say reviewing is very subjective, and they are all definately considering shogun on LIGHT of empire and napolean, if those games never existed, shogun would represent a much larger graphical leap forward.

This is what IGN had to say when the played the game (They didn't give it a review score yet because they are waiting for the MP)

After a campaign of Shogun 2: Total War I'm convinced this is the best Total War game since Rome.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1155135p1.html

Pretty much what I said after I played the demo

Miles

Could you add Napoleon scores as well? Thanks.

AAAAAAAnd I expect this thead will turn into a vietnam flashback at how ETW killed your entire platoon and made you play it 24/7 with all the life threatening bugs. Lets watch.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Os View Post
    AAAAAAAnd I expect this thead will turn into a vietnam flashback at how ETW killed your entire platoon and made you play it 24/7 with all the life threatening bugs. Lets watch.
    The way people act around here if they had the option of making the Nuremburg trials about hitler of the ETW team, the ETW team would be on trial for war crimes and crimes agains thumanity.

So far, the majority of the reviewers are giving Shogun 2 exactly the same score as Empire when it came out.
    ...Wow. I... don't know what to make of that.

The way people act around here if they had the option of making the Nuremburg trials about hitler of the ETW team, the ETW team would be on trial for war crimes and crimes agains thumanity.
    Please stop.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Heinz Guderian you REALLY don't like ETW

Pc gamer and gamestar UK are on drugs

and metacritic as a source is like quoting Wikipedia in a final exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post

I'm sure that is done frequently these days.

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

Would you guys have rated Empire any differently than those reviewers did after playing it for a few hours? It really was an awesome game. The only problem was that it had a profundity of glitches, many of which weren't readily noticeable. As the dedicated fanbase of the TW series, we're also bound to be its most critical reviewers. I know after playing Empire for 3 hours, I would have given it a 9/10; right now though, I have 356 hours clocked. After that much playing time, I'm bound to be a lot more critical, and so are the rest of us.

Laetus

Going slightly off-topic, but:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-Wi...hy-15597.shtml

This was in 2005, and the user database and moderation team has grown a lot since then, which, according to the article, should reduce the amount of errors.

That doesn't change the fact that Metacritics is ridiculous though

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    Would you guys have rated Empire any differently than those reviewers did after playing it for a few hours? It really was an awesome game. The only problem was that it had a profundity of glitches, many of which weren't readily noticeable. As the dedicated fanbase of the TW series, we're also bound to be its most critical reviewers. I know after playing Empire for 3 hours, I would have given it a 9/10; right now though, I have 356 hours clocked. After that much playing time, I'm bound to be a lot more critical, and so are the rest of us.
    I think that in reviewing large games like this, the reviewer(s) should perhaps note their total playing time somewhere in the review. I think that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    I dont want to be a negative nancy. Its just the review system the industry has in place needs an overhaul. Many gamers will rely on several reviews to research a game. When there is a review system that gives Empire better scores thatn M2TW or Rome and this case Shogun 2 (although i havent played this yet), and in some cases, lol 100%, then people need to make a point to the reviewers.
    *claps* very good post. I Agree fully. ETW should not have gotten that score just so Shogun 2, a clearly superior title to get less of a score. There is something seriously wrong there. And this is me actually defending Shogun 2 for a change. It is an inconsistent mess that destroys completely the credibility of the reviewers that give such scores. Simply I wouldn't ever trust a reviewer that committed such inconsistency, yet IGN, Gamespot, GameInformer ect do it all the time.

Also incase you didn't see:

Civ5

Better than:
    Total War: Shogun 2
    9.2/10

Worse than:
    Empire: Total War
    10.0/10
    http://www.nowgamer.com/reviews/pc-m...civilization-v

I call , Civ5 was pretty bad. Shogun 2 is a better game than Civ5.
    Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk; March 12, 2011 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    Heinz Guderian you REALLY don't like ETW
    lololol i'm just comparing the reviews for Shogun at the same time of its life as Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    Going slightly off-topic, but:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-Wi...hy-15597.shtml

This was in 2005, and the user database and moderation team has grown a lot since then, which, according to the article, should reduce the amount of errors.

That doesn't change the fact that Metacritics is ridiculous though
    Erm, well lets do this. Take one score from the OP. Lets do...erm PC Gamer UK. Now, google "PC Gamer UK"..go ahead i'll wait.

Ok. Now type in "Shogun 2 Total War review" into the search box. You should see the review. At the bottom of the review it says "92%". Now, whilst your on that website, type in "Empire Total War review". You'll see it says "94%". Now thats how i sourced the figures starting from Metacritic to get the quick links.

The power is in your fingers. Simples right?

Omg i read few minutes ago the gamestar test online with 87 points but they are really stupid. They critizize to much text windows, the strong Bowman and the RTS Camera. The last thing is the KI but this is right, but just one point.

I just now the demo, but i would say bowman are weaker than musketman, speacially if you use naginata against them. I would say they don`t understand the game.

Than the RTS Camera. Isn't it the same like ever? I wasn't mention a change...

And tet windows... understandable if he write that empire was to complex for him... lol. For me is complex better.

Stupid magazin the last years. And interesting cause they are normaly a hype magazin.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast