Thread: Adding battlemap buildings to BI

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Adding battlemap buildings to BI

Ok, Verci convinced me to release that thing after I had it for a few days.
    Now, this is a compilation of three text files which contain the decompiled information from descr_items.db
    Here's a quick walkthrough to adding a new building into descr_items.db using this:

1. Extract the file you need (BI or 1.5) to your data directory
    2. Backup descr_items.txt
    3. Rename the file you extracted to descr_items.txt
    4. Add to the beginning any Includes you want made, I recommend using this to add new buildings (you can see a readme on that in the original descr_items.txt)
    5. Add your new building entries
    6. Delete descr_items.db
    7. Start the game
    8. You get tons of error message (normally if you use show_err), either click through them or just hit ctrl+alt+del and kill the game process, but descr_items.db is generated anyways
    9. Restart the game and enjoy

If you want to use that in a mod folder, you have to extract the RTW item files you want to use there in order for the game to find them.
    If you don't want to use a building that is in that file, just delete the entry.

//edit: Sorry, I uploaded the wrong version, the ones I attached don't work. I'll update them as soon as I can.
    //edit2: Ok, the clean and proper files are now in there.
    Last edited by alpaca; March 19, 2006 at 04:28 AM.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Default Re: Adding battlemap buildings to BI

I know this is an old thread, but could you explain a bit more about the entries in the descr_items file?
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Hello all,

Also reviving this old thread I hope someone can help me with this:

So I am Editing the descr_items.txt, everything goes fine until I try to edit the roman_colonnaded_portico.cas file, I try to change it into a building of my own.

So I edit the cas files/item files and the descr_items.txt and save it,

I delete the descr_items.db

But now when I try to start the game it gets to the startup screen and it crashes back to desktop without any error message.

Also a new descr_items.db is NOT made.
    I kept the old descr_items.db and searched if something was wrong or not found in the files by starting some games in Rtw:Bi, but nothing

One strange thing was, that the old cas file was specified in the descr_items.txt as "roman_colonnaded_portico_high.cas"
    but I can't seem to find this cas file ANYWHERE in the Bi or RTW folder.

Any ideas?

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

From what I understand, many of the original CAS files did not come with the vanilla game. So, if you mess up the ITEM for one of them, I believe there's no way to recreate it. The only way to get it back is to move the ITEM over from another vanilla folder.

If its crashing with errors it seems like a problem in coding. Most of the time if it can't find the model or the skin, it'll give you an error message or create the .db and an item but have no information attached to it. (I discovered that you can open the Item in notepad and see if it was actually created properly)

If you were editing the descr_items folder one by one, you should be able to copy and past over the vanilla coding into your descr_items.txt and replace the 'roman_colonnade_portico' CAS (if its missing) and if the problem is in the coding for that CAS, it should load fine.

Did you edit other files? Such as descr_building_battle? Or did you just rename your CAS model to match the one you wanted to replace?

Also, if there are several lod levels, and you want to replace it with one model, then you need to edit descr_items to have only lod 4000.

I don't know if this will help, but its the first few ideas that jump to my head.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

is possible to add barbarian buildings to eastern settlement in battle map? I mean that settlement will has eastern look, but buildings as governors, barracks, church will be barbarian?
    Dominion of Britannia, Norman Invasion