Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of Siege equipment?

Default What type of Siege equipment?

Has anyone seen any available Siege equipment? Ladders, towers, catapults, rams, etc?

I say one screenshot with a unmoveable mangonel.

Are we getting a wide array of siege weapons this time?
    'Well I am not a soldier per say. I’ve never fought anyone, unless you count Indians or the British.' ~ Davey Crockett

Default Re: What type of Siege equipment?

I think mangonels and european cannons are the extent of it

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

As almost all the units are spider monkeys , there are no real use for the Ai of ladders and siege towers
    Wanted for:
    Breaking and gluing back together and trying to pass off as never being broken in the first place.
    Assault with a weapon that couldn't have possibly been deadly, but unfortunately was

"You know what they say: give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the whole town. Give a man a fishing rod -- see where I'm going here? Give him a fishing rod and he'll poke your eye out."

Rep goes both ways, just leave your name

Rockets, catapults and cannons Ohh my! (Wizard of Oz reference)

Quote Originally Posted by TiTiTimmy View Post
    As almost all the units are spider monkeys , there are no real use for the Ai of ladders and siege towers
    lol You mean they can climb the walls without using siege equipment? It's as bad as the rope climbers in ETW all over again!
    'Well I am not a soldier per say. I’ve never fought anyone, unless you count Indians or the British.' ~ Davey Crockett

There are sources that show it to be historically accurate, or at least historically relevant anyway.

Nevermind. I just watched a video that showed a siege battle and the 'spider monkey' infantry

Very disapointing. What is the point of having gates and choke points when the infantry can just climp up anywhere?

Edit: Here is the video http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ba...hogun-2/708560

The graphics are nice at least.

Well consider this, they can't climb up to the top tier immediately (I don't think) and they climb up a few at a time, and you can have very mean men with swords waiting for them while they still try to collect themselves. Its sort of like ladders in M2 and grappling hooks in ETW and NTW

Quote Originally Posted by Vikkus View Post
    Very disapointing. What is the point of having gates and choke points when the infantry can just climp up anywhere?

Do a search on this topic and you will see that your ideas of siege warfare (based on the European model) don't hold with Japanese warfare. While I understand where your coming from, western and eastern cultures are very different (warfare included), just because your not familiar with something doesn't make it wrong.

Look here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    look this pick: climbing was real!

kentuckybandit's Avatar Ordinarius

Wolfshart is right (+rep for that pic). And the difference was even more pronounced in Feudal Japan. While China, Korea and other places in mainland Asia utilized siege engines Japan never developed this aspect. Walled cities were not used in Japan, only the castles were walled. And since most castles were made of a high percentage of wood (beyond the stone base obviously), any siege equipment would have been in the form of incendiary devices (like the Mangonel we get, if that). Heavy cannon was only ever used once to take down castle walls, during the siege of Osaka castle in 1615 (year may be off).

LMAO just realized you were quoting that pic, repped the original guy too
    Last edited by kentuckybandit; March 11, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

I don't mind the wall climbing aspect, but i think that when you send a unit up a wall, a % of the units should fall while trying to climb, and a % of those should die upon falling, the chances increase based on the unit type, and the height of the wall.

IDK it seems to me that those wall climbers make it look way to easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerkl8r View Post
    I don't mind the wall climbing aspect, but i think that when you send a unit up a wall, a % of the units should fall while trying to climb, and a % of those should die upon falling, the chances increase based on the unit type, and the height of the wall.

IDK it seems to me that those wall climbers make it look way to easy.
    According to the PC Gamer review, this is what happens.

Unless they are Ninjas.
    Forward, march!

That is a great pic of a siege battle!

I would like to see some of those things in game. The attackers bringing up wooden walls to hid behind, the attackers digging under a wall, the defenders dropping stones on the heads of the infrantry scaling the walls. You can also see the attackers have brought up a couple of small siege towers to fire from.

There seems to be a lot of great siege weapons there.

During sieges you can:

-burn down the enemy gates with any unit
    -climb the walls. The longer your soldiers climb the more of them will fall and die
    -break walls with cannons (I don't know if mangonels can break them)
    -climb the walls and take points like gates and towers
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

The screens exist for archers on the defense, if they want. The castles are multi tiered - I've found that climbing small segments have very few people falling off, but in the demo when I had my men climb two levels at once almost 25% of them fell. The total vertical distance plus their stamina impacts how many fall, so if you choose to climb multiple layers you'll pay the price in extra falling troops and tiring them out.

It's already been said, but European castles were meant to keep people out while Japanese castles were meant to give the illusion of 'come on in!' - Imagine climbing the wall, struggling to fight off the defenders and after you win ... realizing you have another wall to go with more troops, and then another wall ...

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshart79 View Post
    Rockets, catapults and cannons Ohh my! (Wizard of Oz reference)
    There are bomb-throwers too, if I remember well.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

There are many ways that climbing is risky to your infantry. Number 1 is that the AI is much better at moving their troops to strategic locations, meaning the area you attack will soon be streaming with troops off for your head. Number 2 is that not everyone will make it up the wall, and finally is that climbing is a slow business, and unless your infantry are uber they will be surrounded quickly. Its not a matter of ZOMG I can climb walls so its all broken herp derp. Climbing walls also comes with serious consequences if not used correctly

I want my monster bombard.

Under the "siege" units in game thier are as follows.

Mangonels - Fire Gunpowder Charges.

Cannons - Fire Cannon Balls.

Fire Rockets - Fired by units, innaccurate, small explosion per rocket.

Fire Bomb Throwers - Low range, massive damage, good vs city gates.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Those were awesome...but took so long to reload D:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast