Thread: Hi Im A Newbie At SPQR Mod. Any Helpful Hints/Tips You Can Give Me?

Default Hi Im A Newbie At SPQR Mod. Any Helpful Hints/Tips You Can Give Me?

Im about to install SPQR 5.0

What difficulty settings should i be on? What faction should i play as? How should i play? Any more hints/tips you can give?

I dont want to have to keep restarting my campaign cause im getting things wrong, like WRE in BI. Took me 5 tries to get the campaign to actually go somewhere.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

macedon it's a pretty easy for beginners,if you know how to use phalanx!!!also try not to get in war with romans at first,build economy before attack,and use alexander's tactic use phalanx to hold off enemy force and flank them with cavalry when they get close to your pikes!also use hypaspists(sword hoplites) to protect your flanks and play campaign with battles easy and campagn very hard if you have any any question post

If your new to SPQR and want easy play M/M game. Also the mod is meant to be played as Romans, most of the other factions are easy because of the bonuses for them.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

one of the harder factions to play are the seleucids, so u might wanna play them later on when ur used to the mod

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by westy159
    Im about to install SPQR 5.0

What difficulty settings should i be on? What faction should i play as? How should i play? Any more hints/tips you can give?

I dont want to have to keep restarting my campaign cause im getting things wrong, like WRE in BI. Took me 5 tries to get the campaign to actually go somewhere.
    Don't be scared to use family members as generals. You will be surprised at just how much of a morale bonus generals with a bit of experience can give to a army.

BTW which faction are you playing?

SPQR was made to be played as romans but playable as other factions. But romans are really fun lots of blood!!! For super tense campaign use VH/M. You'll be up to you arse in enemies.
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

Also, keep making armies unless you're getting an income of less than 2000. If you do that, you'll be good.

Adnan

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    If your new to SPQR and want easy play M/M game. Also the mod is meant to be played as Romans, most of the other factions are easy because of the bonuses for them.

Lt
    Im suprised you didnt snap. :laughing:
    I thought you would just say the classical line: READ THE README

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

have a look here for a couple of battle walkthroughs (shameless plug I know!)

Romans vs. Carthage: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42588

Romans vs. Macedon: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41708

other than that, take some valium, start with the macedonians, keep your fingers crossed and stick with it. SPQR is a total bugger but very rewarding once you start to master it.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Another thing, do not keep reloading, first, it is basically cheating, and you'll have no fun at all because the AI will keep doing the same thing over and over until you confront them about it.

Adnan