Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller clans vs. bigger clans in multiplayer

Default Smaller clans vs. bigger clans in multiplayer

Hey guys, I'm a new TW player but a RTS veteran and I'm a little confused on how multiplayer is going to work in this game.

My RTS clan isn't very big.. but I see that this is supposed to be first TW game with a huge online focus. I want to know if my smaller clan can beat/rank higher than huge clans (like 10 vs. 300 members) if we play better?

How are the multiplayer games going to work? Is there 1v1 or only team-based games? Do all wins by your clan count towards the EXP gain that you clan uses to level up + gain special abilities?

Default Re: Smaller clans vs. bigger clans in multiplayer

In a nutshell your clan is going to get humped by a 300 member clan unless you have mmo dedication and are on 24/7 and most of the 300 are inactive.
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

So you're telling me numbers > skill in multiplayer?

Sounds like a horrible system.

well after checking out multiplayer section of encyclopedia in demo I can say bigger clans will have advantage over smaller ones. Because acquiring provinces by a clan will be depending on the amount of battles won on a specific province at the end of one game season. Hence 300 member clan will most likely have a lot more victorious fights compared to 10,20 or even 50 member clan. this could even create a snowball effect where everybody would like to join to an already big clan making it even bigger so that they can get extra provinces, resources, clan tokens to unlock new units, upgrade veteran units, avatars and what not

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Its one of the drawbacks of going into a consistent world instead of an instanced one. Its not that #s > skill on the battlefield, but unless there are people on at all times of the day, small clans will be battered by big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by deckon View Post
    well after checking out multiplayer section of encyclopedia in demo I can say bigger clans will have advantage over smaller ones. Because acquiring provinces by a clan will be depending on the amount of battles won on a specific province at the end of one game season. Hence 300 member clan will most likely have a lot more victorious fights compared to 10,20 or even 50 member clan. this could even create a snowball effect where everybody would like to join to an already big clan making it even bigger so that they can get extra provinces, resources, clan tokens to unlock new units, upgrade veteran units, avatars and what not
    Right, which will result in a terrible multiplayer experience because 1 clan will dominate the rest because they have 500 some members. When that happens, a player will be like, why should I even bother being in a small clan if it's never going anywhere? This in turn means a lot less players will play the clan system and thus that aspect of the game will be meaningless.

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

So there isn't any limitations?

How many clan can fight each other? Do they share campaign map?

How's battle is going to be resolved? I mean for it to be played both clans or all clans involved would need to have at least one member online.

No limitations no.
    24 clans per 'world'

Quote Originally Posted by xccam View Post
    No limitations no.
    24 clans per 'world'
    Thanks

24 clans for each world then there's campaign map?! Still no?! Otherwise it's just pitted battle one after another.

Can you save multiplayer campaign game? How many people can join a multiplayer campaign?

Does avatar only work for clan battles or including multi player campaign and even single player

again according to encyclopedia in the demo you could fight against someone by yourself or with your clan against some other clan ( like 4vs4, 2vs2 battles ). And if you win the battle then your clan will get an arbitrary point for that province. now your clan officer could put a mark on 1 province so all clan members would fight for that province. at the end of one game season, say end of fall season, those points you and your clanmates won for that province will be counted and whichever clan has the highest points will be the new owner. Now if you have a 500 member clan and others are smaller clans then your clan will be the most likely winner. Since new provinces grant new unit types and clan tokens which the latter can be used to upgrade your units further more. Now you get the picture....Bigger clans = higher number of wins = more number of provinces gained = more variety of troops + better unit and avatar upgrade options...I hope there would be a limit to number of members in a clan.

Edit// the number of clans is not an issue rather number of members in a clan could be an issue

Edit 2 : @Miracle ...I'm only talking about multiplayer battles you partake for your clan. There's a campaign map of Japan. It's a persistent world meaning the progress you and your clanmates make will be there. and you fight battles for provinces against other players ...Avatar works for clan battles or just random multiplayer battles. Unfortunately you can't use your avatar in singleplayer
    Last edited by deckon; March 09, 2011 at 02:18 AM.

one thing im wondering is if the fact clan token get handed out by clan leaders will limite the amount of men in a clan because who would want to be in a massive clan and get looked over all the time for those yummy clan tokens.

Edit 2 : @Miracle ...I'm only talking about multiplayer battles you partake for your clan. There's a campaign map of Japan. It's a persistent world meaning the progress you and your clanmates make will be there. and you fight battles for provinces against other players ...Avatar works for clan battles or just random multiplayer battles. Unfortunately you can't use your avatar in singleplayer
    Thanks Deckon. Appreciate that.

The reasoning behind the "no limitation per clan" is that after a given time, the clans get redistributed to other maps according to their performance; so after a while, the good clans will pool together on one. So, if a clan dominates only because it is so large, it will get promoted and meet other clans which are either equally large or just better players overall.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    The reasoning behind the "no limitation per clan" is that after a given time, the clans get redistributed to other maps according to their performance; so after a while, the good clans will pool together on one. So, if a clan dominates only because it is so large, it will get promoted and meet other clans which are either equally large or just better players overall.
    But many of the smaller clans will get frustrated and probably quit the game when they realize that they can't reach the top tier unless they hire 100 more players.

Basically only the biggest clans will end up in the highest tiered ranks. This therefore nullifies any incentive for people such as LKHERO bringing their clans into the game because there is no way to the top unless they gain a load more members.

CA ed up here. There should be a limit.

And what limit should there be? There are clans with 50 members which have existed for 10 years, can hardly tell them to reduce.

A better way would be to make it harder for large clans to progress, like being able to lose influence points again with lost battles; that way, clans will have to be picky about whom they accept.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    And what limit should there be? There are clans with 50 members which have existed for 10 years, can hardly tell them to reduce.

A better way would be to make it harder for large clans to progress, like being able to lose influence points again with lost battles; that way, clans will have to be picky about whom they accept.
    Then divide into two teams like in football. 1st Team and 2th Team. It ain't worse than that. Would be nice if the clan limits were around 25-30 members.

I think i read jack say somewhere that they might make special league's for smaller elite clans after the game has been out for a while.Which is not a bad idea,lets them get a idea of how the new feature plays out before they start messing around with new setups for it.

I doubt that clans who have trained together and fought for several years will be very welcoming to be forced to be split into "elite" and "sub-par" members.
    Better try to come up with alternative solutions to remedy the large/small clan problem since CA seem to have made up their mind anyway for the time being (they did say they'll "see where it goes and maybe reconsider later").
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast