Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enemy Aggression

Default Enemy Aggression

Was there something done to make the enemy less aggressive in this mod. I have three units of Teutonic knights(the enemy) near one of my towns (nowhere near fully stacked) and the three armies sit there and do nothing. Why are they so docile??

Default Re: Enemy Aggression

Maybe they realize three units is not enough to attack?

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

I'd assume he meant three stacks...are you at war with them?(silly question,but I have to ask)

Do they have a general?Or siege weapons?The AI usually attacks to get a specific border settlement,it'd be strange for it not to attack when committed...but you never know...

Im not far into my campaign about turn 60. I was allies with them, then blitzkrieged three of their settlements leaving some of my cities exposed. The Teutons have every reason to attack me and I checked out thier armies-they'd win. But they have been stagnant for five rounds now. I was wondering if anybody else encountered something similar. Maybe the mod designers turned aggression down?

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

No agression has not been turned down, it si likely that the attack priorites that the AI calculates are just not quite right for them to attack. If that happens go down the proactive route and attack them, I dont allow eneny armies to sit in my lands

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Oh I really dig on this mod I was just wondering if the AI had been tamed down. In the Vanilla version of the Teutonic Campaign I played as Novgorod and could never STOP the Teutons from coming at me so this took me by surprise. I can't wait to try the different factions on this mod...

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

If aggressive enemies are getting you down, ask yourself the question: "If the enemy has this many armies here... how many are in his homeland"- which is rhetorical, of course, because the answer is few if none. A certain famous german once said "he who defends everything, defends nothing"- you want those enemy armies to stop man-handling your nation ? Start man-handling theirs and see how they like it. One of two things will happen, both good:
    A) the enemy forces realize there mistake and rush off to save their homeland. When they get within striking distance, break off and escape. Thus giving you time to prepare a proper invasion or at least muster a defense.
    B) the enemy remains at your doorstep. In which case his homelands are ripe for the picking. If you move fast, you can capture several territories. Armies are much less threatening when you know they have no infrastructure behind them.
    or C), the bad one: The enemy only showed you a mere fraction of his armies, and has a well defended fortified homeland. If you didnt know this before you attacked, you do now, and for the better- now you realize the numbers your dealing with, and if you did know the enemy had a mighty garrison, one wonders why you attacked them in the first place

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    If aggressive enemies are getting you down, ask yourself the question: "If the enemy has this many armies here... how many are in his homeland"- which is rhetorical, of course, because the answer is few if none. A certain famous german once said "he who attacks everything, defends nothing"-
    Fixed for you

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Citizen

But i dont attack everything, Heathen Storm. Just the AI foolish enough with me to try and pull something on my empire- they had it coming !

Ill admit though... Im aggressive and confrontational in my tactics and strategy. Hmm. Maybe that could be a personal trait of mine i never really put much thought into. *shrug*

There are acutally half a dozen Teuton armies just sitting there in different provinces of my territory. Its buggin me out because they are doing nothing and the Teutonic capital just fell from a crusade called on it. My city armys are inferior but there is a lull for some reason. I took 3 territories from the Teutons in one round and they have done NOTHING about it at all! Their psychological tactics are giving me sleepless nights...

That's a terrorism technique,you'll end up offering yourself as vassal and dismantling your military,hoping it's enough to make them change spot...beware...

Citizen

Oooh, that was topical, Daraunon. Ill give that a rep due to wit

Well since my citizens are against racial profiling I cannot directly go after the Teutons. I am at their mercy-lol....

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

I noticed a lack of aggression from the AI also. As the Gaelics, Avalon simply would not attack me..now this may be due to the fact that i slapped them around quite often, but at one point (when i was kinda bored with the way my Gaelic campaign was going) i decided to leave them my Island and relocate to the Uruk dominion. So off i went on my boats with about 90% of my military to launch an all out offensive on the Uruks. Obviously by this point i didn't real care if i won or lost i was more interested to see what Avalon would do. Each one of my four Gaelic Settlements had but two units of different troop types. Avalon had an impressive military stationed at my border, outnumbering me at least 10-1 but with the passing of ten turns Avalon still made no move. I captured Port Novo i believe is what it's called. The Privateers were a challenge and my lack of funds was starting to wear on me at this point. Aggressively i struck out at every Uruk city or army i could find. For the most part i was doing ok with the Uruks. But there was Avalon still just sitting there. 15 turns i waited with no sign of aggression from Avalon. but to my suprise on the 18th turn they moved across my border and stopped next to one of my castles. There they sat for another 3 turns before finally launching an assault. And that signaled the end of my Gaelic campaign.

Again as the pale knights, which start off with hostile neighbours, i got 50 turns in with this campaign using a very weak and unmotivated turtle strategy. I was weaker then my enemies but still no attacks. Ended that campaign early aswell.

I Very much enjoyed two 100+ turn campaigns with the Privateers and the Uruk dominion, but both campaigns i was the aggressor and never really gave anyone a chance to attack me.
    i found Avalon and the Pale knights to be odd situations. I am starting a new campaign shortly and i plan to go full on Money hoarder, as little troops as possible and sit back until someone picks a fight.
    Still despite my lackluster campaigns recently i still absolutely love this mod
    Peace
    Macrath

I also noticed that the enemy doesn't attack me as often as I would like to, but almost in every campaign the AI factions declare war on me pretty soon, usually when everyone runs out of rebel territories (so around turn 30, in most cases). When I played the Lao Che, I was attacked by the Tahar. When played the Privateers I was besieged by the Hispanics who were soon joined by the Sycorax. In Barka campaign I was rather quickly attacked by the Romuli (turn 15), then the Pale Knights (turn 25) and then the Gaelics who invaded northern Syrianna (turn 50). As the Dracule, I was immediately (turn 15) assaulted by the Vashta. When I played the Valiente, the first jihad ever was directed onto my capital. I was also attacked several times by the Medici, Vasquez and Vexille rebels in both Europa and Ibellica. I don't know why, but in my campaigns there is always quite a lot of action on the campaign map.

The only campaigns I wasn't attacked in the first 100 turns were with the Wotan and the Faustian Reich. In the former, I took rebel settlements as far as Rohan in the west, the Grendel/Grimmhelda island and the northernmost province of Tethra which was still rebel. I don't know why the Teutonics didn't attack me, so I had to declare war on them first. In the Faustian campaign I steamrolled the rebel settlements in Ibellica early, including Terra Madera, Apelia and Corellia, but the Valiente didn't respond to my expansion, although they army was really powerful. I think it really depends on the campaign - ones can be boring, the other ones will be fast-paced.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrath View Post
    I noticed a lack of aggression from the AI also. As the Gaelics, Avalon simply would not attack me..now this may be due to the fact that i slapped them around quite often, but at one point (when i was kinda bored with the way my Gaelic campaign was going) i decided to leave them my Island and relocate to the Uruk dominion. So off i went on my boats with about 90% of my military to launch an all out offensive on the Uruks. Obviously by this point i didn't real care if i won or lost i was more interested to see what Avalon would do. Each one of my four Gaelic Settlements had but two units of different troop types. Avalon had an impressive military stationed at my border, outnumbering me at least 10-1 but with the passing of ten turns Avalon still made no move. I captured Port Novo i believe is what it's called. The Privateers were a challenge and my lack of funds was starting to wear on me at this point. Aggressively i struck out at every Uruk city or army i could find. For the most part i was doing ok with the Uruks. But there was Avalon still just sitting there. 15 turns i waited with no sign of aggression from Avalon. but to my suprise on the 18th turn they moved across my border and stopped next to one of my castles. There they sat for another 3 turns before finally launching an assault. And that signaled the end of my Gaelic campaign.

Again as the pale knights, which start off with hostile neighbours, i got 50 turns in with this campaign using a very weak and unmotivated turtle strategy. I was weaker then my enemies but still no attacks. Ended that campaign early aswell.

I Very much enjoyed two 100+ turn campaigns with the Privateers and the Uruk dominion, but both campaigns i was the aggressor and never really gave anyone a chance to attack me.
    i found Avalon and the Pale knights to be odd situations. I am starting a new campaign shortly and i plan to go full on Money hoarder, as little troops as possible and sit back until someone picks a fight.
    Still despite my lackluster campaigns recently i still absolutely love this mod
    Peace
    Macrath

This is remedied by the additional funds there recieve in V4, and also in the V3 hardcore patch that I will release soon

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

It all depends on the campaign,in my experience,the AI behaviour seems to be random at every campaign start.

Once I was playing as Avalon and my neighbours the Gaelics had something like 10 stacks and possessed all of Tethra,so I actually was afraid to make war with them,as my roleplay at the time gave me a small army. Another time I invaded the Gaelics as the Wotan,but I discovered that they were pitifully weak and hadn't expanded at all.

As far as diplomacy goes,there's lots of activity,but keep in mind that the AI often wages war because it's interested in a particular settlement. Verstov island usually sees a lot of action. The Hispanics attack the Privateers because they want to expand south along the coast. The TO usually focus on Europa rather than Norselund,but don't we all?The tahar usually attack the Lao Che because they want to get their Mesocala settlements,but rarely invade their homeland.

Long story short,despite the "Total War" title,the AI is rather realistically (IMHO) motivated by the will to expand gradually,along settlements relevant to its interests. Overly aggressive AI will usually result in their throwing the entire militasry against your single,heavily defended fortress,and after they're spent the war should pretty much be over...a pity that diplomacy sometimes fails in this sense. It was a nice surprise to see that Shogun 2 doesn't have this problem in most cases.

Th additional AI support means the rebel settlements tend to get occupied a little quicker, which means the faction on faction action begins earlier.

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    This is remedied by the additional funds there recieve in V4, and also in the V3 hardcore patch that I will release soon
    Niiice

Has this been improved for those using the hardcore patch ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast