Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Restless Natives Darkage for SV3.3

Default Re: Restless Natives Darkage Submod for SV3.3

just suggestion mate:edit the release "with type D or d"

IN BIG LETTERS

Last edited by VINC.XXIII; March 09, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Sorry for the trouble, one of the installation folders was incorrectly named.
    I will update the installer straight away.

EDIT: NEW INSTALLER ADDED TO FRONTPAGE
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20112...atives+1.0.exe

just suggestion mate:edit the release "with type D or d"
    Yes, I think I overlooked that. Now edited.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Luck is the residue of design ~ Milton

Yep, I was launching using the "D" for Dark Age campaign.

I'm glad you found the issue, I'm downloading now and I will be back with an update soon.

I'm downloading now and I will be back with an update soon
    Great

I tried a custom battle and a campaign battle, and both worked just fine. This is a great submod, the feel and look of the Scottish faction is much better than before, and the music is quite nice. Nice work!
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; March 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Great Im glad you got it working and are enjoying it The English and Danes feel a little a different too, and there is a few nice and not so nice surprises for them all.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 10, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

So, I forgot that ChivII should not be played on VH campaign, and I started my first Scottish campaign on VH/VH... It was a disaster. At first I did alright, quickly taking Edinburgh and Berwick from the Danes, but then I had to disband most of my army to get out of the 7000 in debt I was in. Meanwhile, the massive Briton rebel stack besieged Edinburgh, which I somehow managed to defeat with my army, but at the same time, my faction heir got the "you are NOT my king" trait and Berwick (the city he was in) revolted, meaning he is now stuck in enemy territory (costing me 1000 in field costs a turn) and I cannot move him!

I would love to kill the idiot, but he can't move, so now I'm waiting for the Danes to hopefully attack and kill him. Even so, I think it's the end for this campaign, as the Danes now have 3 full stacks milling around my borders and if I want to break even I can only support 6-7 units (including generals).

By the way, Berwick had ridiculous amounts of squalor and -15% (!) population growth per turn before it revolted (despite only being a town and not having the plague). Does anyone know if this is a result of the "you are not my king" trait or is it a bug?

I forgot that ChivII should not be played on VH campaign, and I started my first Scottish campaign on VH/VH... It was a disaster
    Yes, you should not play the camapign on VH. It was designed and scripted for Hard Campaign level and much of what you have described has probably been because of this.

All of the affected factions (Denmark, Scotland, England) campaigns are more difficult. You will find if playing as Scotland that to keep costs low you will need make some sacrifices i.e. disband inexperienced units and concentrate on economic building, you will be able to accomodate larger armies once you conquer a third settlement. Two other ways of generating income early would be trade agreements with the English, French, HRE and also selling a few maps.

Scotland is more under threat from the rebels (Britons) once you take Edinburgh and/if Berwick. If your read any historical references to this time you will find that the Strathclyde Britons were extremely powerful at this time often defeating Scottish, Saxon and Norse armies. Rebels are often more of a threat than factions in Restless Natives, hence then name

I must admit that it is a challenge to get and running but certainly not impossible, I have tested the campaign a good number ot times.

The main feature of the Scottish and Danish campaigns in the British Isles is survival whereas the Saxons/English campiagn is more geared towards expansion. This was meant to reflect the historical situation during this period and also because the human player can often take on larger and better AI armies. In short I wanted the campaigns to be a challenge but I think on VH campaign level this would be too difficult.

I have not experienced any of the difficulties you have reported about Berwick and have successfully 'kept' Berwick as the Scottish faction. One of the reason for the revolt could be that the Danes had built a 'slave camp', if you destroy this building you will reduce its negative effects. This is a new exclusive building for the Danes that provides large economic bonuses but stifles population growth and creates unhappiness, I have no explanation for the squalor. Slave camps can only be built in certain cultural regions, I am also considering including their use for other factions who conquer rival cultural regions. At this period slaves would also be captured and sold by Scottish and English raids. The idea behind slave camps was to give the player a strategic choice, the choice being low or negative population growth but short term income benefits or settlement and population growth. This was to reflect both sides of Viking influence in Northern Europe of settlement and raids.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Yeah, my strategy in ChivII in general is always focus on the economy early on (maybe after taking 1-2 settlements depending on how large my starting army is), so I was already following the general strategy you laid out, but on VH campaign, it was just too hard to make any money without being destroyed by rebels/the Danes because you have no army.

My new Scotland campaign, on Hard, is going quite well, although it is certainly difficult. I took Edinburgh early on and then disbanded some units and built up my economy by establishing sea trade with the Anglo-Saxons and the East Franks through building a port and protected anchorage. I then continued on an economic building strategy. I also made the wise choice of building a fort when I could afford one on turn 1, which allows me to keep my 2 highest upkeep units there for free upkeep.

You're certainly right that rebels are the major concern early on. I've faced 2 major invasions by the Strathclyde Britons, and I did manage to destroy both invading armies despite being outnumbered. I think the fact that Righ Donald is quite a good general and the fear-causing effect of Gaelic Warriors helped me out a lot in those battles. On the other hand, the Danes have made zero moves against me other than trying to bribe Edinburgh away from me.

Now it's about 910AD and I've also taken Stornoway, and my economy is decent enough to support a defensive 2/3 of a stack. I still have to go into debt if I want to go on campaign though (field costs/no free upkeep units). My next move is to take Strathclyde from the Britons. After that, I think it might be time to move South against the Danes. Originally I was planning on going for Ireland first, but the rebels have actually succeeded in kicking the Danes completely out of Ireland and now have two large fullstacks roaming the countryside. The Danish lands to the south actually seem less defended than this, partially because they have been embroiled in a bitter war with the Anglo-Saxons and are sending the vast majority of their troops south to fight them. No land has changed hands between them yet, the Danes will generally send a fullstack south to besiege London, only to lose the battle once the garrison script kicks in, and then the Saxons send that fullstack north, only to be beaten back by the Danes before they reach Nottingham. The balance seems very good here, as it will certainly be a long and bloody war if I do not intervene. Also, though the Danes started with the advantage, over time the initiative has been swinging to the Saxons, which is as it should be.

All in all, this is a great submod and I've had a lot of fun so far with this campaign. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Dark Age campaign and wants to add some more depth to it. It may be a few days from now, but I can post some campaign and battle pictures to add to the preview, if you'd like.

Enjoyed that, it was really good account of the campaign

It may be a few days from now, but I can post some campaign and battle pictures to add to the preview, if you'd like
    That would be great, your input has been very useful and informative.

I am playing a campaign at the moment 904AD. King Donald died in a siege of Edinburgh by the Britons but Constantine attacked from behind and routed the Strathclyde army. The Scottish general's seem to make enough difference to deal with the big invasions.

I have also built a good relationship with the Pope and will now ask him to call a crusade for Dublin

There are certain scripts that run to keep the AI roughly following historical patterns but as a human player the script will only provide you with more opposition. Often in a campaign between faction invasions your armies have little to fight and your generals will accumulate negative traits. With settlement dependant rebel activity your generals and armies should be kept busy.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

I have spotted a couple of graphic errors, here is the quickfix:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20121...atives+1.0.exe

Fixes: Norse Archers rebel model texture, unit cards and Lord of the Isles ancillary text

This quickfix is save game compatible.

I did notice the rebel Norse texture issues, but I was not sure if they were a bug from the original ChivII Dark Age campaign, so I didn't mention it earlier.

I also have a family member who married into my family that has no name. I still accepted him because his traits were pretty good, but it's a bit strange.

I also have a family member who married into my family that has no name. I still accepted him because his traits were pretty good, but it's a bit strange.
    I just had a look at a file descr_names, there was an extra empty line in the scottish family name section which I think may have caused this problem it is now deleted:

Attachment 148268

Copy and replace original in: \Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\SicilianVespers\data
    Last edited by sputnik; August 07, 2011 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I just had a look at a file descr_names, there was an extra empty line in the scottish family name section which I think may have caused this problem it is now deleted:

Attachment 148268

Copy and replace original in: \Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\SicilianVespers\data
    Thanks! Will this be save-game compatible?

Yes, it should be although I dont know if it will change the name of your general.

nice plus rep =)
    Hedinn Vedr Total War
    Now Recruiting Coder and Scripter!!!

[IMG]

thanks

One more possible bug I noticed: When Scottish units charge/the general sounds the rally horn, you can hear two horns. The vanilla horn sounds louder and drowns out the other, but beneath that you can hear an authentic horn sound (sounds like a carynx a bit to me). I'm assuming you meant it just to be the new horn sound and the vanilla horn should not be heard?

Well spotted It is a carnyx horn.

The horn sounds instead of the generals rally call, I wasnt aware that there was a horn that sounded with this call? I will check it out next time I play but please check that the vanilla horn isnt attributed to other units i.e. charges. It is easy for the carnyx to get lost in the sound of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Well spotted It is a carnyx horn.

The horn sounds instead of the generals rally call, I wasnt aware that there was a horn that sounded with this call? I will check it out next time I play but please check that the vanilla horn isnt attributed to other units i.e. charges. It is easy for the carnyx to get lost in the sound of battle.
    Nice, carnyx horns are awesome

Yeah, at least for me, the vanilla charging horn sound happens most of the time when the general uses the rally ability, drowning out the carnyx.

It would also be nice if the carnyx sounded when units charged as well. It is possible to change the horn that sounds when units charge; there's a mod for DLV that does it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=horns

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast