Thread: DMUC 6.9 Review

jayvikings57's Avatar Tiro

Icon14 DMUC 6.9 Review

First off, congrats Darth and anyone else involved for your time, patience and effort. Well done!

I have played DMUC 6.9 now for 3 days and have gotten through about 80-100 turns in one campaign and 40 in another. Helps being off work

My system specs are:
    i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, 6 gb ram, 2*nvidia 580s sli, Win 7
    playing with the recommended graphics setting by Danova

Here are the main points I would like to talk about:
    This concerns the Ultimate Campaign, 2*cannons, 4 turns a year, large deployment zones as mighty Prussia,
    on VH/H

1) Not a single CTD in those 100 turns which is fantastic. Also, played a second campaig of about 30 turns with AUM 3.2 and no ctd's here either.

2) Naval:
    I built my navy up early and sent my trade ships to all corners. The pirates were there waiting but to be honest the pirates had their hands full with all the other major powers heading to the trade theatres and by turn 30 I had sent fleets to the pirates home regions to eradicate. The trade theatres fill up in first 20 turns easy, so get trading.

The naval battles feel just right, the ai buits 1st rates and lots more and I had many good naval battles.
    The ai blocks ports and naval land invasions are present...never trust the French!!
    All in all I cannot fault the naval battles.! Excellent

2)Land (BAI):
    Land battles as always are my favourite and again Darthmod has come through.
    The cannons feel right and the battle ai is smart, trying to flank and not breaking too easily.
    The only thing I noticed was that the Austrians took a long while to research military upgrades and the ottomans are just useless. However funny enough, Persia was a tough little nut to crack!

Fort battles unfortunately have one problem. When I play them they suffer from extreme lag. Have I done something wrong here? this is the only area of the game that suffers lag for me.

Also in my second campaign I noticed the ottomans slowing down the turn speed, but I sent an army to eradicate them and that stopped.

All in all land battles feel good, and balanced. I live AUM 3.2 and the variety of units you can have.

3) Campaign AI:
    Just excellent,

Allies work, stay allies as long as you dont go around breaking treaties. Just last night, I was under pressure against the Austrians, and who shows up to help, the Polish...first time an ally has come to my aid. really cool

Diplomacy is excellent, and balanced. Deals happen. for tech, regions and more.
    When i had the ottomans on the ropes the accepted a peace treaty, trade and became my protectorate. I try not to eradicate the major powers.

The only thing here I noticed was for the first 20ish turn the CAI is building up, but not so much there armies, then again in the second campaign I played I didnt notice that that much.

Trade feels balanced and it pays to remain trade partners with factions, I cant stress enough how important the trade theatres are now!

All in all I cant think of anything else to add.

The mod as far as I can see is complete...I honestly dont think it need anything else

If there was a way of fixing the fort lag that would be cool, but you know im happy

To Darth and all the guys who help out on the forums, well done. This is a masterpiece!

Regards
    J

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: DMUC 6.9 Review

Feedback should be posted here

As for the fort lag, it is an old vanilla bug, nothing we can do about it.

I have one question though, did you notice any tradeship fleets being used as combat fleets? Especially by the minor nations?

Thank you, I wasnt sure where to put it

I have not noticed trade ships being used as combat fleets

Interesting, as I saw several minor nations with nothing but trade ships in their navies.

I saw trade fleets in the trade theatres but I figured that was normal

Well I saw that too, but they had entire trade fleets full of Indiaman just sitting in Europe doing nothing. A few even declared war on GB just to blockade her ports with trade ships

Quote Originally Posted by nosjack202 View Post
    Well I saw that too, but they had entire trade fleets full of Indiaman just sitting in Europe doing nothing. A few even declared war on GB just to blockade her ports with trade ships
    I didnt see this, but then again I probably missed it

Where do you think the mod needs improvement?

CAI seems pretty passive on medium difficulty. And naval (such as stated above) tactics need to be addressed, other than that, I think the mod is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by nosjack202 View Post
    CAI seems pretty passive on medium difficulty. And naval (such as stated above) tactics need to be addressed, other than that, I think the mod is perfect.
    I agree with you

Im playing on VH and it seem like a decent balance

VH/H

True, I might try H/H (Playing on M/H now) next campaign depending on what faction I decide to be.

I usually play as Prussia because historically I have a man crush on them.

On Vh/H its really great, give it a go

I like challenge, but I don't like the ZOMG!!! HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT 3 STACKS FROM ONE!!! PROVINCE!!!!!
    Plus they're super overly aggressive.