Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

Kaeso again laughed this time at the senator who thought it was Blasphemy to think they are related in anyway. How wrong again was this senator to think otherwise. the gods are the same although a little different then their Greek counterparts. Kaseso stood up once again as he listened to the senators who supported the motion and who where against it.

Kaeso took a deep breath and then let it out slowly before he spoke
    " Blasphemy you say ?. Well then you must be speaking about yourself then. How dare you claim knowledge about the gods in the way you think you do. The priests speak about the gods being the same as their Greek counterparts.Yes they have different aspects then the Greek gods. But they are the same in many ways. in fact we worship the gods the same way the Greeks do. Our temples are like their temples, our sacrifices are the same as theirs. And yet you think our gods are not the same as their gods.

Is it not true that mars had a affair with venus ?. Just like their god ares had a affair with Aphrodite ?. Is it not Venus son
    Aeneas that founded our city and nation ?. so you see the greek gods and the roman gods are counterparts and are Equal in some ways. Not all ways as we know roman gods are far better then any other gods. But one can not say otherwise that the greek gods are not the same as our gods. our gods are the the counterpart of the greek gods."

Kaeso pointed at the senator that propose the motion" Fellow senators. Do you want this man who is blinded by greed. that is poorly skilled in the matter of the gods it so seems to lead the army of rome ?. granted his motion is valid but still. He goes to war to keep our allies divided and yet he claims the greek gods are not the same as our roman gods ?.

I could be wrong but i thought the greeks where our allies. And yet this senator says we went to war to divide the greeks so they will not reinforce Hannibal. How paranoid can this man be ?. He says the Macedonians started this war. But where is your proof senator that they did this ?. my fellow senators. war is not the answer to conflict. we could have settled it by diplomacy . And i speak of knowledge of the Macedonians because i was in their city before the legions came. Their was no child slaves in their markets like their are in ours. they seem to be peaceful people in my eyes at least.

I support the motion the senator bought up.

Kaseo sits down once again. wondering who this senator was that speaks about the gods like he knows them. Ha ! this senator is poorly educated and he will be best to be publicly embarrassed in front of Rome and the senate

Last edited by Lord Slayer; April 03, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Titus sighed, thinking why senators have to be jealous towards such a man. He perhaps is not the greatest person on earth, but he can do his job well..
    Pallas has done exactly what we told him to do. Now you want to strip him of his office because he did just what we wanted and what we agreed to? Ah, but i see, you were not here when we appointed him his task. Pallas has so far had one of the most successful careers i have seen.

As for the Greeks, Pallas is totally right about them. They are treacherous people, all the time gnawing their shackles like a wild beast inside a cage. And once they manage to escape the cage, they want freedom. Perhaps that is a good thing, while we can turn it to something more positive, for example slaughtering Macedonians..
    Titus chuckled

But we must not strike first. I still have little hope for them - after all, they see us as liberators from Macedonian rule. Perhaps they could make a formidable ally, and slowly over time, be absorbed into roman culture.

Last edited by Maiar93; April 02, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Senator Kaeso, I think you'll find that the Macedonians have assaulted our greek settlement multiple times, with absolutly no provocation. Pallas himself had to defend multiple times, before becoming Consul and finally taking the fight to the enemy.

Yes; this is not a hasty, emotion-based revenge, but a slowly planned military offensive against the Macedonians for their continuous attacks against our settlements.

We are at war, that was ample provocation.

Kaeso listened to the senators words. He could not understand how these men could justify destroying The temple of edessa because a handful of them believe that the gods are not the same as the greek ones. They had a point he was not here when all of this started. But he was their when he saw the legions of men Rape the woman and burn down the temples.

Kaeso stood up once again. " My fellow senators. Granted that most of our gods and the Greek gods have different names. But how do you explain that one of their god Apollo is worshiped as the same name in our temples. How do you explain that my fellow senators. Granted he is worshiped as Roman Virtue and not as the god of light and music as he is with the Greeks. But still we kept the name the same. How do you explain that ?, if not in fact the roman gods and the Greek gods are one and the same. Expect we made them better and more roman ?. "

Kaeso took a sip of wine from his goblet " My fellow senators. This war granted is coming to a close. But will we be so lucky next time ?. What will happen if we go to war agaist someone that does far worse to our people then what the Macedonians supposedly did ?. We need allies my fellow senators. allies that will be a buffer between us and the enemy. So who do you suppose we ally with ?. Not only do they support us in war. but they will increase our revenue in the long run. goods would be flowing into Rome and her provinces from all over the known world "

Kaseo took another sip of wine from his goblet " I also urge this body to end slavery in our provinces. At least child slavery. which is barbaric and un roman of us to enslave children who are innocent in this world. Granted they may be better off as slaves. But surely Romans could take care of children of those we took over ?. Surely we could teach these children roman values and roman Honor ?. So that when they are older then can become good Romans ?.

Kaseo sat down once again. Slavery is wrong in many ways. But children slavery. No that is just unjust and non Roman. He vowed to do everything in his power to change that law.

Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

We have the Greek city-states allied with us. Is that enough of a buffer, Septimus?

Titus quickly changed his tone of voice

Child slavery is wrong in every way. They perhaps get a better life than most of the poor plebs in the streets; but they suffer. They suffer for their burden. We do have resources to build homes for these orphan kids, perhaps we should do that and offer the children a second chance they deserve.

Slaves be they children or not are Slaves by their own doing, if they did not wish to be slaves then they would fight back and resist us. Slaves are meant to serve.

Kaeso laughed at the senator as he stood up and looked around the Curia. these men do not think that one ally is enough to stop a aggressive enemy do they ?. And if the Greek states where allies then why did we attack Macedonia then ?.

Kaeso
    took a deep breath and let it out " My fellow senators. Do you honesty think that one ally is enough in a world where alliance are made and broken everyday ?. The Greek city states may be our allies. But how do you think they feel when they see us burning down temples to their gods ?. Do you think they would want to be allies with us anymore ?. The Greeks will only see us as a bully that only uses them to get what we want. We do not respect them and their gods so why should they do the same to us ?. and then they will attack us and then we will attack them and more roman lives will be lost because of our actions. think about that as more of our men die in another meaningless war. This is what our actions will do in the long run if we do not set a example to those men that raped those woman and burned down a temple to the gods.

Kaeso took a sip of his wine from his goblet " Child slavery is wrong. I am not saying to get rid of slavery all together . No what i am saying is that we should get rid of child slavery that is all. And i agree with senator Tibus. We do have the resources to build homes for these kids and i will pay for every single home from my personal treasury if i must. Child Slavery is un roman like and although we senators may have child slaves of our own. Do you not think these children deserve a second chance at roman life ?. Adult slaves are meant to serve. Not child slaves who deserve better then a life of a slave "

Kaeso sat down once again
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Senator, i don't see why would they attack us for burning down their enemy's temples. Furthermore, if they do not want to be our allies, it is then the force of fear what keeps them from not attacking us. That is why we should be wary of them: never let your guard down, because the second you do it, they strike.

As for our allies, you are beyond naive, beyond reason to believe that we would enter a war if it were not in the best interests of Rome. Rome, not Greece will dictate Roman policy overseas. Greece is still a rabble of leagues and city-states, as long as they stay that way they are not a threat to us, allowing us to focus our efforts on taking Aegean trade ports and consolidating our position in Spain. If it were not for us, they would be at war for years to no avail, Macedon being too weak to advance and the rest of Greece preventing any chance of it. Granted, we were happy to keep it that way but they proved that they did have troops to spare and sent against us, escalating the conflict to warrant consular intervention and here we stand today.

The crucifixion of soldiers or other such punishment is suitable Aulus, you cannot deny that this is only for the soldiers should they attack the capital of Macedon in such as fashion. Their culture is very different than ours, if their populace was mistreated in such a way we would have civil revolt for years and the Greek city-states would accuse us of crimes of war and maybe even bid for one of the Diodachi to support a war against us, we would lose Sicily in days to weeks, and Pallas and his men would be cut off from supply and annihilated with half of our remaining veterans.

As for saying I am not versed in matters of the gods, I will just have to inform you that you are completely mistaken.
    Child slavery, while it may seem wrong, it is by the will of the gods that they are destined to live a life of servitude, not our own. I see no reason why such an arrangement should change and the break such a covenant would incur the wrath of the gods. With the raping of the Vestals, the burning of the Curia, the desecration of our own temples Rome cannot afford yet another hex or curse upon it else its foundations fall and all be damned to Hades. If their owners wish to educate their slaves that is their own business and more importantly, their own income.

As for your proposal Kaeso, I vehemently deny it. You say Macedon and the Greeks have no child slaves? Perhaps you're right, for they expose them to the elements the first chance they get to avoid their costs as their own property. They scatter the families of their slaves at will and many other things that may not have been aware of.

Why were you in Macedonian cities before the legions arrived? How long ago were you there? What was your business there? Can anyone verify this besides a biased family member? where are your travel documents? how much did it cost?

I can continue but I see no need. This man is obviously not a reliable source when it comes to matters of ethics, philosophy, myth or the state. I suggest that this body heeds any discussion from this man on topics such as these with a grain of salt and I call upon the tribune to veto his unnatural motion for violation of the mos maiorum and the impossibility of its implementation.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Kaeso could not help but laugh at the senator. Why this man is so Derange that it makes it easy for him to be pick on. And yet maybe the senator is right for a change. Maybe it is wrong of Me to think such a thing about ending slavery. But i can not wonder why the man thought i was mentioning a motion ?. This man is crazy and its time to exploit it.

Kaeso stood up and pointed at the Senator "
    This man is losing his mind. For one thing i did not lay on the table a motion for anything. Why i was just agreeing with his motion after all. But yet in his act of madness he accuses me of motioning for something ?. By the gods i did not motion for anything only stated that i agreed with his motion and that if i was to bring up the ending child slavery motion i would support it implementation. I did not ever say that i bring the motion of ending child slavery to the floor i just urge the body to think about ending child slavery. This man is losing his mind and power has certainly gotten to his head. "

Kaseso took a sip of his wine from his goblet " My fellow senators. I would produce the travel documents when i get to my villa. and i will bring them in the next time i come to this curia. If you want proof of where i was then i will give it to you. Unlike the Derange senator that accuse me of bringing a motion to the table. I have proof of my actions and reasons why i was their. In fact i was their on behalf of my father who had a family friend staying in Edessa. I was their for many months actually before i found out the news of my fathers death. And it cost me not much since i found a friend to take me their. You see its good to have connections in this fair city.

" The Derange senator is not to be trusted for his judgment at this time no matter his position in the senate.The reason being is that he accuses me of bringing forth a motion in which i never did such a thing. In fact like i said before i was agreeing with his motion. It was a valid one. And he is right we do not want to have a hex or curse on our fair city once again. Although i do wonder if the gods hexed him in recent days. But that is not for me to decided is it fellow senators. I could only defend myself against a man that accuses me of bringing a motion up to the floor where i did no such thing "

" Tell us Derange senator. How do you know what is in the best interest of Rome ?. the best interest is not the people wish but our own. And granted we all think like that. But i do wonder how one can judge the best interest for the people of Rome, when most of Rome populace can not read or write or understand our policy. And How does one know the will of the gods if they are not a priest ?. How do you know the will of the gods and that they want children to be slaves ?. I would think it harsh that our noble gods would want such a thing for children. After all we have goddess that protect children and woman. And yet we have children slaves ?. Who will are we going with. The will of the gods or the will of this body ?. "

Kaseo sat down once again
    Last edited by Lord Slayer; April 03, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Have you forgotten that the first slaves in Rome were children? The Divine Romulus allowed Fathers to sell their children into slavery.So it is indeed the will of the Gods.

This is pure demagoguery. Not towards plebs, but towards the foundations of the Republic.

He plans to become a demagogue of slaves senators. A beacon of hope for their eventual freedom. Imagine senators, if all of the slaves in Rome rebelled against their masters. With their education as children they would know exactly how to do it. How to extort Roman values and turn them against us.

Perhaps even his brother might hold the same values when he returns. Imagine if Gracchus has a brother in a high place, ready to secure his will amongst the people. We would end the Roman Republic in a state of dual tyranny for a thousand years!

He has given no sound points as to why the Roman Republic should spend money from its strained treasury on such measures and we should not for the aforementioned reasons. He does nothing but sound empty words in filled halls, hoping for the truly deranged to latch on to his nihilistic views on bondage and servitude.
    Last edited by dragoon47; April 03, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Kaeso listened to the senator. How Derange is this man. My brother has yet returned to the Republic. The last i heard of my brother he was in some other city conducting business. and yet this senator assumes me and brother have the same idea ?. Nonsense my brother has a far liberal approach to things then i do. This senator is digging his own grave.

Kaseo stood up once again and laughed
    " You must really Be losing your mind. . This man has also proven my point. He is derange and needs help. I do not want all the slaves to be freed. Only the children for which they will learn Roman Values and thus they will be a role model for the adult slaves. Heck this will help teach people roman values so why not start with the slaves ?. If they learn roman values they wont rebel since our values are what most nations want to follow. and why in the gods name would you think that i am a beacon of hope and freedom for them ? They would accept their position as Slaves and they will also know roman values so that they wont rebel against their masters

As for your argument that i am only a Senator. Yes that may be true but my mother was a Vestal virgin before she married my father. she was well educated with the teachings of the gods. She knows their will better then most. And i have a friend that is a priest of the god Jupiter. He knows the will of the gods and he sees no reason for child Slavery. Yet he sees these child slaves in the market and wonders why the roman republic would allow such a thing to happen.

I do not want the state to fund anything as important as this. The State can not possible know what to do with these children. and funding it would not help these children. No my fellow senators. If a motion was to be bought up about child slavery. I would not allow the state to fund the orphans houses or anything that they might need. No i would fund these things from my personal Treasury. That way i know that the funds will be getting to the building projects and not off for some pointless war.

And finally for my words. I do not mean to offend any senator. As that is not the patrician way. And for that i will pay double Alms to the gods in every temple and in every shrine. But what i say still holds true. Something is clearly wrong with your mind if you think that my brother set forth a motion such as what you accuse him of . And the reason i called you Derange is because you accused me of setting forth a motion. Which is crazy because i would do no such thing. not in this case because it is not me that should be setting forth this. It should be a pleb since they will be effect in some way also. "

Kaseo sat down once again
    Last edited by Lord Slayer; April 03, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Yes they will be very effected by the loss of their Property and the massive increase in their taxes.

Two of the many reasons why such a motion shall never be passed.

Obviously we will not agree on this, if you want to further this debate you may visit my Villa when you wish and we can discuss it privately. I only believe that educating them would sow the seeds of rebellion, for the pen, while no mightier than the sword, facilitates the implementation of its use. Take that as my closing argument on this issue.

Lucius stood.

The issue of Pella.

Regardless of our tribune's line of thought, while valid, it does not change the fact that the rape of Pella would be deleterious to military discipline and lead to the rise of an educated populace that is dedicated to warfare and shares the lineage of Alexander's great empire. We cannot stand that if we are to make allies of this state and wish to recruit the local populace for our cause. Some sort of punishment must be dealt.

Perhaps the threat of Decimation, though an extreme method, may be enough to discourage Looting and Rape?

The looting is acceptable, the pillaging is acceptable, the rape however, is not. If we wish to maintain the illusion to the Greeks that we are here to pacify the region then it is unacceptable to make such acts except against the cities that an attack has come from. So far, no armies from Pella had come to attack us, only the Greeks and they were obviously repelled.

Conscript Fathers,

I write to you now from the chief city of Macedon, Pella. Thessalonike is a mere twelve day march from here. Soon our objective will be accomplished and Macedonian power will be broken in the region. What's more, the machines of war whose design we've taken from Edessa has proven itself effective but also proved its own faults. Here follows an account of the assault on Pella.

On the fourth month of siege, the army had finally gathered enough materials to construct the Helepolis, a machine capable of leveling cities as its name suggests. Eager to pursue the objective of the war, I spurred the men into motion.

During this battle I found the weaknesses and strengths of the Helepolis to be glaring and problematic.

For one, its immense size does lend itself to a intimidation factor, but its immense size is also a hindrance upon its speed. This proved disastrous when one tower was brought down by enemy archers hiding in the walls, firing flaming munitions upon it.

For two, the top cannot be staffed with too many crew otherwise it is prone to losing its balance. This severely limited the amount of cover fire the tower would have been able to provide.

However, our other towers managed to push to the wall, and we soon captured the gateway.

The doors of Pella swings open, and we march in, unmolested.

Beneath the walls, bitter fighting ensued between the defenders and our troops. They have been influenced from the last few battles against our forces and are trained with some of our techniques, such as the ejection of pila prior to close-quarter engagement. Undisciplined as they were, they still put up a stubborn resistance.

Meanwhile, a struggle became more of a pushing contest on the walls as we attempt to capture the towers and deprive the enemy of the advantageous position of firing upon us.

Under heavy fire, the skirmishers moved up the walls from the third Helepolis and captured a strategic tower that overlooked two intersecting streets. Reports came from runners to tell us that the enemy citadel is within sight.

The palm of victory looms over our forces and casts a dark shadow upon the enemy.

We push on to the citadel. Bitter fighting ensues, but with a single thunderous charge, I crushed the Macedonian resistance beneath our horses' hooves.

The lives of many were lost, but Pella is ours.

The soldiers were shocked by the death. It is the first time some of them has seen such carnage. Especially after the relative ease that we took Edessa with. Some claimed that the gods are punishing us for the acts we've committed in Edessa. I knew, obviously, that was not the case. The cramped conditions of a city becomes ever more dangerous with a larger defensive force entrenched in the houses and waiting to ambush on street corners. I can only hope to entice the enemy out to a pitched battle instead.

However, those who had such notions were in the minority. The other soldiers were clamoring for them to be set loose upon the city. I obliged, knowing that this will only increase their desire to take another city. Twelve nights I let anarchy control Pella. Temples burned, women screamed, children cried, and Pella sobbed beneath the might of Rome. On the thirteenth morning I gathered my troops as well as the citizenry of Pella. I demanded that those with military-age sons be forcibly relocated to the nether-regions, where Greek slave traders have already arranged for those former citizen's capture and sale in the wider Greek world with quite a large amount of gold for us. Furthermore, I ordered those who were placed onto this exile to be stripped of their belongings save for what they could carry in their two arms, be it food, money, or children. On the fourteenth morning I had the current military aged fathers crucified. On the fifteenth I had the families of the fallen captains of the defending soldiers pledge personal fealty to myself and to Rome with threat of death should they incite rebellion. On the sixteenth day I had each soldier pick a single woman from the city to add to the mobile brothels following the legions. On the seventeenth day I had the temples of Pella looted of their treasures.

The citizenry has been relocated

And our coffers have swelled from it.

Conscript Fathers, I now write to you with a request:

Give me free reign of conduct in Macedonia. Exempt my forces from the Lex Valeria. Let me conduct this war unfettered, and I will bring you the Kingdom of Macedon in entirety!

I await your response
    Pallas Rutulus Aventinus
    Consul of Rome

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.