Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Victoria: Total War Preview 2

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Victoria: Total War; Preview 2

To Commenus- Its essentially the only picture of a flag I saw from the Paris Commune.

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
    To Commenus- Its essentially the only picture of a flag I saw from the Paris Commune.
    Yeah but would it be kept as a state flag after a theoretically successful revolution?

How do you intend to tackle the issue of repeating rifles. At the end of the American Civil War, the Union Army on the western front was using Henry repeating rifles. Breach loading rifles became prevalent as well in some armies, such as the Prussians and were used with great success against the Austrians who still used mussel loading rifles. I am a huge fan of the Total War games, and Empire is my favorite by far, although arty in Napoleon is sick. I was rather bummed CA punked out and went backwards in time instead of heading into the 1800's. How far is this timeline to extend to? I really admire what you guys do and wish I had the skill to do it myself. Keep me in the loop and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
    How do you intend to tackle the issue of repeating rifles!
    I can answer that on behalf of the team. ETW has animations for breach loaders (the Ferguson Rifles unit animation) which can be used to simulate a repeating rifle of that era. Now, the models for these weapons.... eh, not so sure if they can be implemented.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

I'm pretty sure you can add new weapons. You can certainly add new cannon models, so you can probably add new rifles.

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

Can you please change the color of France on the mini map from the Bourbon white to the Republican/Napoleonic blue?
    Just a small detail, but it must be pretty easy.
    WARNING:
    The comment above may contain offensive material that may or may not be appropriate for people above the age of 18. The guidance of your children is advised unless you press the green little button with a plus under the avatar.
    Please, please, PLEASE, god... If you give us back Freddie Mercury, we will not only give you Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus... We will give you the whole disney realitystarcrew!!!
    And if you're wondering if it's worth to give up your favourite artist, then we'll throw Jay Z and Lady Gaga in the pool too

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

How do you intend to tackle the issue of repeating rifles. At the end of the American Civil War, the Union Army on the western front was using Henry repeating rifles. Breach loading rifles became prevalent as well in some armies, such as the Prussians and were used with great success against the Austrians who still used mussel loading rifles. I am a huge fan of the Total War games, and Empire is my favorite by far, although arty in Napoleon is sick. I was rather bummed CA punked out and went backwards in time instead of heading into the 1800's. How far is this timeline to extend to? I really admire what you guys do and wish I had the skill to do it myself. Keep me in the loop and good luck!
    Goes until 1914, when WWI started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Darkness View Post
    Can you please change the color of France on the mini map from the Bourbon white to the Republican/Napoleonic blue?
    Just a small detail, but it must be pretty easy.
    I think we can... But there's already the US, NGC, and Sweden in blue
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can add new weapons. You can certainly add new cannon models, so you can probably add new rifles.
    I think I've seen someone do it before. And for repeating rifles we can just make the reload rate really fast
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Hey guys, Thanks for the quick replies, it sounds like you guys have a good game plan!

I was thinking about the issue of infantry tactics. With the advent of more accurate rifles and faster reloading, units were able to use a more dispersed formation along with fire and movement. I was wondering what you guys are thinking about this.

My idea was using the Light infantry troops in open formation, and if possible, adapting the fire and advance technology to work while they were in this open formation. This adaptation would take on the appearance of fire and movement, "bounding to cover". I have heard there are major AI issues with the fire and advance technology and I don't know how difficult or if it's even possible to adapt it to achieve this.

Anyways keep up the good work!

I was thinking we could set the units to "Can fire while moving".

PS: Welcome to TWC!
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Hey guys, Thanks for the quick replies, it sounds like you guys have a good game plan!

I was thinking about the issue of infantry tactics. With the advent of more accurate rifles and faster reloading, units were able to use a more dispersed formation along with fire and movement. I was wondering what you guys are thinking about this.

My idea was using the Light infantry troops in open formation, and if possible, adapting the fire and advance technology to work while they were in this open formation. This adaptation would take on the appearance of fire and movement, "bounding to cover". I have heard there are major AI issues with the fire and advance technology and I don't know how difficult or if it's even possible to adapt it to achieve this.

Anyways keep up the good work!
    Unfortunately that is not possible, fire and advance formation is hard coded so when you turn it On the units always line up the vanilla way.

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Okmin View Post
    I was thinking we could set the units to "Can fire while moving".

PS: Welcome to TWC!
    That only works for cavalry.
    I was trying to do it with some infantry units while I was making the Hungarian mod but it does nothing for them.

Can we give them tiny invisible horses and keep the infantry animations? (Seriously)
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Can you adapt units like the Frei Korps to be able to do square formation? The size of this unit and its light infantry formation capability, in my mind, best represent what a company or regiment would look like during this period. If you can't adapt square formation to the Frei Corps or any Light Infantry unit, can light infantry formation be added to Line Infantry?

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Im not part of the team or anything, but yes, it is possible.

Can we give them tiny invisible horses and keep the infantry animations? (Seriously)
    You tried to fire a .30 cal rifle while running? There is a bigger chance you will hit the ground, the air, some bush on your left or a rabbit passing by, rather than the enemy that you try to aim at.

At least we can say our units are so accurate they can hit a passing rabbit
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

This is shaping up to be an epic mod, looking forward to it
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

I am highly anticipating this fine mod. Really look forward to it.

At least we can say our units are so accurate they can hit a passing rabbit
    Exception skill if you wanna make a rabbit stew.

thx, great idea this mod

Health and freedom !!
    ¡¡ Salud y libertad !!