Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get Dragon Age 2 or Shogun 2?

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Default Should I get Dragon Age 2 or Shogun 2?

I figured I'd post this in the Bioware forum since many of you are big Dragon Age fans like I am. Money is tight and my time is limited so I'm going to pick up one or the other.

If you were to buy one game this month, would you pick Shogun 2 or Dragon Age 2?

I've played both demos and now I'm torn. I think that the Shogun demo was the superior of the two, and the Dragon Age demo raised some serious questions in my mind about whether I'll like the sequel. There's also the point that if I want to get involved in Shogun's clan multiplayer, I should do so at launch rather than wait a month or two.

On the other hand, I feel overall Bioware has never disappointed me like Creative Assembly has. Even if Dragon Age 2 is not as good as the first, I think it will still be an enjoyable experience. I'm always concerned that Shogun could have just as many problems at launch as Empire.

Anyone else in the same predicament, or are you simply going to buy Dragon Age next week and Shogun the week after?

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Should I get Dragon Age 2 or Shogun 2?

I would suggest to you, to wait and see the community reviews for them both, and then decide. There are so many games coming out this month that we, gamers need to expend our money only in those we will surely enjoy. So, stay put and wait for the community reviews.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

If you can only buy one, I'd wait until both of them are out and read as many reviews as possible.

If your time is limited, by the time you get done with one you'll probably have the money to buy the other.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I had DA2 preordered back in January, and I doubt I'll buy Shogun 2. The two game really aren't all that similar, one has a focus on story, the other a focus on strategy. All depends on what appeals to you more.
    My Gaming PC
    CPU: intel i7-2600k Quad-core @ 3.80Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2, Zotac 448 core GTX 560ti's in SLI
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Semi-modular
    Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II XL-ATX Full Tower
    Heatsink: Thermaltake HR-02 Passive CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 with LCD Display
    Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless
    Screens: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55 inch LED ~ Cinema 3D ~ 3 in Nvidia 3D Surround

I'd say go for Shogun 2, if only for the fact that Dragon age 2 will be re-released in a year with all the DLC's that are likely to be hooked onto it by EA. I also think Shogun 2 is cheaper at release than Dragon Age 2, at least in the UK. Shogun 2 is probably going to get DLC's too, but they'll not be that important to the core of the game.

Besides, I don't think i've ever seen such negativity about a Bioware game ever, certainly best to give it some air before it is to be considered. Despite CA's history of buggy game releases, the end product always seems to result in your moneys worth, at least for me (even Empire clocked 300 hours). Heck, I pretty much only played the campaign once through and some Great Britain plays and Napoleon still clocked 36 hours. The first dragon age was around 30-40 per character/playthrough (the first was probably 45 due to learning curve), and if Dragon Age 2 is much shorter, I fear it'd drop to the 25-35 region. My playtime of Dawn of War 2 lasted 25 hours for gods sake (I probably played 5 hours of last stand though).

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

ME2 had about as much negativity as this one.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Corvis's Avatar Campidoctor

Wait for Steam sales for both, IMO.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'd definatly recommend Shogun 2 total war.

Pretty much infinite replayability like any total war game. Much more replayability to keep you satisfied untill you raised enough money for another game.

I'd also like you to consider something else though: plenty of big RPG's are going to be released this year, and Shogun 2 seems to be the only big strategy release this year. While shogun 2 keeps you entertained, the witcher 2 will soon enough be released, and more info about Skyrim will be revealed.

If you don't buy many games a year, I would advice to look for games with great replayability. Considering the short lenght of DA2 and it being rather simple compared to its predecessor I would advice to only buy it on sale.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Count of Montesano View Post
    Anyone else in the same predicament, or are you simply going to buy Dragon Age next week and Shogun the week after?
    I will get Dragon Age when it's released. I will get Shogun after it's patched a couple of times.
    I'm not buying another CA game before they patch it.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Cougman21's Avatar Decanus

Alot of player reviews out now claim that DA2 is a pretty poor rpg game overall and is much worse than DA1. I bought it on steam but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Shogun2 for the longevity though.

Well I have DA2 and I love it as for Shogun 2 not sure me to, would wait for reviews and see if it needs patching (probably will). I waited for Empire and glad I didn't sent 40$ on that game, I'm still player M2TW with Third Age Mod which is much better than Empire.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

I'd go for Shogun 2, even though i have DA 2 and i really like it. Shogun 2=infinite replays with no boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I'd definatly recommend Shogun 2 total war.

Pretty much infinite replayability like any total war game. Much more replayability to keep you satisfied untill you raised enough money for another game.

I'd also like you to consider something else though: plenty of big RPG's are going to be released this year, and Shogun 2 seems to be the only big strategy release this year. While shogun 2 keeps you entertained, the witcher 2 will soon enough be released, and more info about Skyrim will be revealed.

If you don't buy many games a year, I would advice to look for games with great replayability. Considering the short lenght of DA2 and it being rather simple compared to its predecessor I would advice to only buy it on sale.
    i agree on this one

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I bought Dragon Age 2 instead of Shogun 2 myself (I didn't plan on getting both) and then I ordered an intel i7-2600K yesterday during a promo where you get Shogun 2 for free as a gift. I couldn't believe they'd be giving that game away for free so soon after launch.
    My Gaming PC
    CPU: intel i7-2600k Quad-core @ 3.80Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2, Zotac 448 core GTX 560ti's in SLI
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Semi-modular
    Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II XL-ATX Full Tower
    Heatsink: Thermaltake HR-02 Passive CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 with LCD Display
    Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless
    Screens: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55 inch LED ~ Cinema 3D ~ 3 in Nvidia 3D Surround

Well ive got Dragon AGe 2 and its pretty awesome so far, but then again i've already pre-ordered SHogun, but if i had to pick i would say get Shogun- hopefully more playability although that wasn't the case with NApoleon for me unfortunately (I played EMpire for threee times as many hours than Napoleon according to Steam).

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Corvis View Post
    Wait for Steam sales for both, IMO.
    Not necessary. Direct2Drive.com has all games on sale for 20% off...including preorders. I just bought DA2 for $48 and Shogun 2 for $37.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    Not necessary. Direct2Drive.com has all games on sale for 20% off...including preorders. I just bought DA2 for $48 and Shogun 2 for $37.
    and they're cheaper in steam sales

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

*delete*

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    and they're cheaper in steam sales
    Yeah but when is that dude?
    I think he did a fair deal so near upon them games' release.
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; March 13, 2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: argh

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    Yeah but when is that dude?
    I think he did a fair deal so near upon them games' release.
    Well theres a pretty good steam deal going at the moment, called the total war collection. You get RTW Gold (£4.99), m2tw 75% off (£2.50), ETW -83% off (£10), NTW -83% off (£10) and SHogun 2 (£29), all for a grand total of £39.99. If i didn't already own all of them i would seriously consider taking up this offer and it will be sooner rather than later before Shogun2 will be in another weekend sale on Steam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast