Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Default 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

The qualification process for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil was decided a few days ago. Each confederation will have the same number of spots as before:

Europe: 13 places
    Africa: 5 places
    Asia: 4 or 5 places
    South America: 4 or 5 places (however, Brazil does not count towards this, so South America will have 5 or 6 participants)
    North, Central American and Caribbean: 3 or 4 places
    Oceania: 0 or 1 place

One key difference though is that playoff teams will not have a predetermined opponent; there'll be a draw, and anybody can be drawn against anybody. So the Oceanian champion can luck out and draw a weak Asian team like Bahrain, or have to face mighty Uruguay from the South American zone.

I haven't got too much against the current set-up, but I believe it's quite ludicrous that South America could have as many as 6 out of 10 nations in the next World Cup. Other than that, I probably would have given North America a fourth spot and kept Asia at 4.

What thoughts do you guys have?
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification process

what about the European playoffs? This time FIFA seeded them so that their teams got in (France, Portugal) I'd like to see them unseeded too and just a free for all for the playoff teams in Europe.
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Why is it ludicrous that South America gets 6 spots?

Why isn't it ludicrous that Europe gets 13? There's more quality in South America than there is in the other continents bar Europe. Their qualifications are always interesting, and usually the teams that make it out of South America do farely well (Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay all looked strong, but the 'lesser teams' put up enormous fights and are strong in their own right.) IMHO 6 is the perfect number for them.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Pra View Post

Why isn't it ludicrous that Europe gets 13?
    Because there are only like 13 teams in South America. Where as Europe has about 30+

4 spots are more than enough for Asia.

About the European playoffs: will the 3d spot squad on every qualification group play in the the playoffs?

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

Acco's Avatar Дијана

My opinion on South America isn't based on quality -- it's just that at least half of the continent is guaranteed a World Cup ticket, with the possibility for one more. I just feel it might cheapen the qualification stage a bit.

About Europe, their number could be lowered but I'd have no idea where to place those extra spots. In truth, there are European teams in the World Cup that are flat-out horrible, but I think their allotment is about right.
    Macedonia

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Because there are only like 13 teams in South America. Where as Europe has about 30+
    As I said, that's why I feel that 6 is a good number. It's about half, same with Europe.

Probably the best two continents in terms of footy skill.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Juli26's Avatar Vicarius

Why isn't it ludicrous that Europe gets 13? There's more quality in South America than there is in the other continents bar Europe. Their qualifications are always interesting, and usually the teams that make it out of South America do farely well (Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay all looked strong, but the 'lesser teams' put up enormous fights and are strong in their own right.) IMHO 6 is the perfect number for them.
    You are forgetting that in the last WC the 2 finalists were European teams, 3 out of 4 in the semis were EU. 2 finalists of 2006 were EU with 4 EU teams in the semis. 1 finalist of 2002 was European with 2 in the semis. Given the number of countries that Europe has in total I think it's more than fair for them to have 13 spots.

I am happy though that South America gets 1 more place this time because they have very good teams.
    Imo I think it would be better for them and North America to have the qualification process together because in NA only USA and Mexico have been good performers always.
    Foreign Languages

Quote Originally Posted by Juli26 View Post
    You are forgetting that in the last WC the 2 finalists were European teams, 3 out of 4 in the semis were EU. 2 finalists of 2006 were EU with 4 EU teams in the semis. 1 finalist of 2002 was European with 2 in the semis. Given the number of countries that Europe has in total I think it's more than fair for them to have 13 spots.
    And you're forgetting that the quarter finals I believe were dominated by South American Teams.

If you're looking at finalists you're reducing your sample size. On quality alone you need to judge based on a larger sample size than finalists and semis.

but...
    I am happy though that South America gets 1 more place this time because they have very good teams.
    Imo I think it would be better for them and North America to have the qualification process together because in NA only USA and Mexico have been good performers always.
    ...we agree here. Again I'm saying 5-6 is not a bad size for South America. It's the perfect size. Like 13 is for Europe. On average South American sides to as well as European. Asian, North American, and African sides are far away from European and South American sides.

If the fourth placed CONCACAF team can't beat the sixth best South American team then only deserve to have three. After the US and Mexico there is a steep drop in quality. I think Asia should get an extra spot though.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by Paul the Octopus View Post
    If the fourth placed CONCACAF team can't beat the sixth best South American team then only deserve to have three. After the US and Mexico there is a steep drop in quality. I think Asia should get an extra spot though.
    There's a steep drop off in quality in both confederations, unfortunately.

Australia, Japan, and South Korea usually perform well, but other than those three you have North Korea 2010 and Saudi Arabia 2002. The bottom North American sides tend to perform slightly better: Trinidad & Tobago punched above their weight in 2006 by tying Sweden and holding England scoreless for 90% of the game, and Costa Rica usually performs well when in the World Cup. I think North America and Asia are quite similar, hence my opinion they should both have 4 set spots.
    Macedonia

Asia should have more spots instead of Europe.

Juli26's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Central Asian Qaghan View Post
    Asia should have more spots instead of Europe.
    lolno, If anything at all they should lose a spot because they always do bad in the Word Cup. I mean, only S Corea and Japan have been good performers + Australia now that they are in the Asian league too. All the others have been thrashed always.
    Foreign Languages

Quote Originally Posted by Juli26 View Post
    lolno, If anything at all they should lose a spot because they always do bad in the Word Cup. I mean, only S Corea and Japan have been good performers + Australia now that they are in the Asian league too. All the others have been thrashed always.
    I actually meant Asia/Africa but left out the Africa bit.

Asia does good but its always in bad groups. If they were in equal groups most would shine.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Argentina and Brazil are 2 of the greatest teams in football right now(if not the best 2).

Paraguay and Uruguay are tough as , usually put up quite the fights and on the regional level they are more than worthy(Uruguay alone has won more than 10 American Cups).

Chile and Ecuador and Colombia are pretty neat too, and the former has been improving greatly ever since Bielsa got to be the Coach(awesome crazy coach if you ask me).

Yeah the 6 spots are well deserved. But haters gonna hate anyways...

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Central Asian Qaghan View Post
    I actually meant Asia/Africa but left out the Africa bit.

Asia does good but its always in bad groups. If they were in equal groups most would shine.
    That makes no sense, if they were good enough they'd shine in any group.

And no that's not true, as said earlier, the only good teams from Asia are S. Korea, Japan and Oz. Everyone else is mediocre to miserable.

Africa does have some quality sides, but I think that the best sides usually always make it out. Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivore, S. Africa, and Nigeria have decent teams. Mali to an extent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Argentina and Brazil are 2 of the greatest teams in football right now(if not the best 2).

Paraguay and Uruguay are tough as , usually put up quite the fights and on the regional level they are more than worthy(Uruguay alone has won more than 10 American Cups).

Chile and Ecuador and Colombia are pretty neat too, and the former has been improving greatly ever since Bielsa got to be the Coach(awesome crazy coach if you ask me).

Yeah the 6 spots are well deserved. But haters gonna hate anyways...
    Agreed wholeheartedly. Especially on El Loco Bielsa.
    Last edited by Pra; March 07, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    ummmm....

/The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Juli26's Avatar Vicarius

...but they don't have Maradrugna as a coach anymore . He was simply retarded. He could have had good chances on winning if he had called Cambiasso and Zanetti because those were the positions in which he had only weak players. Not mentioning that he didn't play Milito while he had just finished an amazing season with Inter + he played in Demichelis in defense, a player who is prone to mistakes.
    Foreign Languages

I wish Riquelme and Maradona has worked out their differences. The potential for stellar midfield play was limitless.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I wish Riquelme and Maradona has worked out their differences. The potential for stellar midfield play was limitless.
    I disagree, both individuals didn't provide any good for the Argentinian team on the end. Riquelme has been ridden with injuries ever since he hit 30 and Maradona's personality is that a Greek Deity... pure passion and zero rationality. We argies fell to their mystic many times but thank god we are over it now.

The future of my team lies in the hands of Messi, Tevez, Higuain, Mascherano, Di Maria and as a coach Batista(even though he does look like he sleeps on a garbage can lol).

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast