Thread: What if Huey Long wasn't assisstanted?

Default What if Huey Long wasn't assisstanted?

I'm currently taking History at university and the other day in my American Histories lecture my lecturer said how Huey Long was becoming a possible presidential candidate and opposition to Roosevelt in the Democratic party. This leads me to wonder. What if he wasn't assisstanted? Could he have run against Roosevelt and perhaps even won the 1936 election?
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Vezon's Avatar Miles

Default Re: What if Huey Long wasn't assisstanted?

nah. Roosevelt was extremely popular.

Floris V van Holland's Avatar Miles

great man Huey Long, very much adored a righteous dude, great tragedy was my kind of man.

but FDR was great too.

http://www.hueylong.com/index.php program tab is most interesting.
    Last edited by Floris V van Holland; March 14, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Patriotism is Indeed a Double-Edged Sword

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor,for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind . . .
    And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear
    and blinded with patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly so.

How do I know? For this is what I have done. I am Caesar.

Floris V van Holland's Avatar Miles

not very popular thread alas.
    Patriotism is Indeed a Double-Edged Sword

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor,for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind . . .
    And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear
    and blinded with patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly so.

How do I know? For this is what I have done. I am Caesar.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Huey Long was a dictator in the making. He ran Louisiana as a dictatorship and would try the same in the White House.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler