Thread: Mori Ships & Clan-Specific Units

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Default Mori Ships & Clan-Specific Units

Looking at the Encyclopaedia Unit Index, do Mori ships have any advantage beyond recruitment/upkeep cost? Maybe they're superior in some unlisted statistic, e.g. cannon accuracy? Also, are clan-specific units (such as Mori ships) distinguishable from their normal counterparts in appearance?

Thanks for any response and sorry if the questions have already been answered. Just pre-ordered the limited edition so I'm starting to get excited (especially about the $0.99 release-date delivery shipping!).

Default Re: Mori Ships & Clan-Specific Units

I think it's principally a cost advantage. They can support a roughly 25% larger fleet than a comparable enemy for the same upkeep; this will mean that they should, pretty much always, win naval encounters, all other things being equal. I'd say it's a pretty big advantage, it's just about unit number rather than strength. Also, it's possible they'll have easy access to wako troops and ships, which are listed in encyclopedia, but that's simply conjecture.
    All units are distinguishable by their clan banners and markings on their armor; I'm unsure if the clan-specific units will have unique models.

Mori's recruitment cost for ships are cheaper and cheaper upkeep cost than other clans. And they have better ships there are cheaper.
    Last edited by Danish General; March 04, 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Is controlling the seas a bonus worth having at all? Aside from naval invasions and trade nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackII View Post
    Is controlling the seas a bonus worth having at all? Aside from naval invasions and trade nodes.

Well, there are provinces you cant even get to without a Navy, controlling trade nodes will give you a massive econnomic advatage over other clans.

If you controll the seas you gain a huge advantage in that you can attack from anywhere, with no warning. Its a more subtle advantage than say "better melee units".

I think the Mori's bonuses are, in truth the most powerful of all the clans, as it poetentially benifits every aspect of the game, from econ, to battles, to diplomacy to campaign movement and logistics.

Good post Wyrdlight.

I meant more like, while they can field roughly 25% more ships for the same upkeep that isn't to say they will need it. Don't forget you will need land units to defend provinces at the same time, and I doubt the other clans will be making much use of a navy.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope that dominating the seas will have an affect on the game, not just giving you the ability to invade islands or control trade, but I hope by blockading ports the ecconomy of that clan will slowly crumble and with a large navy the ability to increase your political and military power.

Okay. Just wondering because on the Mori clan page it says "Can recruit superior ships" in addition to "Reduced recruitment costs and upkeep for all ships." This suggests there is some advantage beyond cost .

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Their cannon ship are significantly better then their counterparts in addition to being a lot cheaper in terms of recruitment and upkeep a double advantage ... also in all the other ships they seem to have a slight morale bonus over their counterparts in addition to the cost ... so yeah they have a significant naval advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    Their cannon ship are significantly better then their counterparts in addition to being a lot cheaper in terms of recruitment and upkeep a double advantage ... also in all the other ships they seem to have a slight morale bonus over their counterparts in addition to the cost ... so yeah they have a significant naval advantage.
    Oh-- I was looking at the online Encyclopaedia here, which doesn't show that difference http://www.totalwars.ru/encyclopedia/units.html. But I just checked the in-game demo Encyclopaedia and the Mori ships do seem to be statistically superior. Thanks.

With a good navy, you can block off big parts of the map.

If I understand it right, you can go upriver and block river passages off for enemy clans as well on the campaignmap.

This will undoubtly be very useful.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Yeah if the Mori can pick up a province with naval tradition and prime forest they will be sitting pretty ... the prime forest is pretty far away though as you can see in my Region Map thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430337

Shameless self promotion ... LOL!!!

Oh wow Maizel I had not heard about the river capability ... wow this might be a really cool faction, if navies can become a such a big factor I sure hope they do.
    Last edited by dutch81; March 04, 2011 at 10:10 AM.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    With a good navy, you can block off big parts of the map.

If I understand it right, you can go upriver and block river passages off for enemy clans as well on the campaignmap.

This will undoubtly be very useful.
    Up river? That would be nice, river battles too??

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    Up river? That would be nice, river battles too??

I read it in the encyclopedia.

After reading it again I see it's open for interpretation, but it doesn;t sound too bad either way.

http://www.totalwars.ru/encyclopedia...eet_moves.html

I hope I didn't make too many people happy with a dead cat. xD

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Yeah the land-bridge to the islands is a little different I actually don't even see the need for it if the AI is capable of doing sea invasions as it is reported to do very well.

hessia78's Avatar Libertus

sorry to necro

the problem with the so called Mori naval superemecy all it does is give their ships 1 extra morale and makes them less expensive. The only Mori ships that can be truely be considered superior are the first two warships Yumi Koyoba and the Sekibune with the Bow Koyoba having 10 extra archers and the Sekibune having 10 extra swordsmen.

Christonikos's Avatar Centenarius

All Mori ships have +1 morale, while Bow Kobaya and Medium Bune also have some extra men.
    Just watch the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfrj...utu.be&t=4m33s