Thread: Mardonius in Thrace

Default Mardonius in Thrace

First of all i chose this story instead of the others because I don't have access to the Rise of Persia Greek units just yet and i would need them for pretty much every other option. Also italics in the story indicate mardonius's thoughts. All skins are taken from Rise of Persia which is now in the process of making a whole new map because our CTD problem could not be solved. I would also like to add that we do not have a completed thracian faction yet so i used skins from the macedonian list. So wait a little longer and you will be able to play it! So without further ado Mardonius is marching through Thrace -

"The moon is glaring at me! I can see it shadowing over our patrol with a foreboding stare... we will not have a quiet night Mardonius"

"You should lay off the haoma for a while Spitama, those hallucinations can get out of hand. Not to mention what you're doing for company morale. Keep your tongue in you're head or you can go and find the scout party. Probaby made camp in another barbarian village. I swear if i catch one more man in bed with the natives..."

"muttering does not befit the nobility sire"

"Insolence does not befit those under MY command Spitama, go and find out what the land looks like up ahead. I don't like the looks of those mountains."

"Yes sir"

The gloomy night stole the clarity from Spitama's words as he galloped off into the darkness

"Spitama was always playing the fool... but his predictions are often far too close to the truth . I think he lets on far less than he knows. Either way I have to get my personal troops back across these mountains before dawn or the main army will be left leaderless in hostile territory. Thats the sort of mistake i don't want Darius finding out about - i'd like to retain my post at least long enough to see Athens burn."

"My lord! the company is ready to march and awaiting you're order!"

"About damn time! COMPANY, MOVE OUT!"

"I see the mountain pass up ahead men, this is the only way we will make it back it time to reach camp. I won't lie to you it does'nt look fully safe."

"But if we stay focused and steel our hearts like our brave forefathers in the great conquests, we can trample any foe beneath us! Stay together and do not get seperated! Be wary at all times and remember first and foremost You are Persians brothers! And Persians hold the line!"

"Even after encouraging the men i think we're all feeling the strain of this march. Every hill seems like its masking an enemy. Every clump of bushes with an alien presence lurking amongst them inviting us further into the pass before the final judgement."

"Almost through now... I can almost see the way out of these godforsaken foothills."

"SIR! SIR! AMBUSH!!"

"They're Charging our infantry sir! Swarming down the hill like ants!"

"Blast it! we've come too far ahead of the main infantry! Sound the battle horns! Raise the War Standard! Squad i want covering fire on the Thracians until our infantry can reform, pin them and then we can circle to their rear! AIM, FIRE!"

"ha HA! Excellent work men keep it up, don't let those Barbarians forget the Persians are the greatest archers in the world!"

"Okay lets circle around and hope the Infantry can hold. Look at that Masistus! You see how quickly Hystapes has organised His Dathabam! That my man is a fine Satapatis in action."

"I'l take my men around the enemy flanks to charge their weak points, soon they'l rout no matter how fearsome they appear. Though the ferocity of the Thracian charge is something I have never Quite seen before. Truly Darius will be pleased if i can recruit some of these fine warriors for his armies."

"The position is being flanked on the left! I must circle around and relieve the pressure on my men. How horrifying it is to see my ordered ranks of brave souls churned up by such a charge! That brutal Melee must be ended!"

"Send word to the Arstibara! Get them into combat as quickly as they can! Seperate the Anusyia to deal with the flanking Thracians"

"So easy to work with my own troops so quick at excecuting orders and never flinching in fright"

"Excellent men, roar with courage to support our Brave Anusyia in their fight amongst the long grass!"

"Were coming up on a unit sent to stall us, Hold fast and stay true to you're ancestors courage! CHARGE!"

"Must.. Fight... Harder!...push through and onto their peltasts...good the Arstibara have made it into combat

"Men this enemy is defeated! Race to the top of the hill and lure away their assault troops. FOLLOW ME!"

"Use you're Bows and keep them at a distance we will need all our strength to deal with their troops following us!"

"Its working! The enemy have disengaged and followed us! Now our infantry can mop up the rest"

"Brace yourselves soldiers... Here they come!"

"This fight is taking its toll on our cavalry, we must pull out and hit them with archer fire..."

"Men pull back we have done enough damage - we will finish this with arrows whilst their formation is in tatters"

"Superb soldiering on all accounts men! We have dispatched the ferocious Thracians even under the duress of an ambush. Soon the rest will be cut down in a haill of arrows and we can go home to our women!"

"My lord! LOOK!"

"May Ahuramazda protect us, theres even more of them than the first force we fought!"

"Do not fear them men! Fear is their weapon and we can break them if we hold fast. Order the infantry into lines on the hilltop. If they can hold long enough we should be able to reach them. I will not lie to you my soldiers, the coming battle will be hard fought. Many could die, but let us all bow our heads to Ahuramazda and pray he protects our families if we fall."

"Now men, fear not the fools in skirts! How can any of us flinch from the joy of charging you're enemy. Ride now and Bathe in the beauty of our passing! To Honour and Glory my brothers! Ride! Ride into destiny!"

"The infantry should be formed up by now, Yes i can see them waiting. Yes Here comes the volley - this will be a very great victory or the greatest of defeats"

"We must ride harder! Our infantry's volleys will only keep them at bay for so long... The clash of arms is coming. Watch them fight and be inspired to reach them ever quicker!"

"Steady men we are nearing them, but first me must slice through their shock troops sent to stall us"

"Ready you're weapons! FOR THE KING!"

"On through them! On to our brothers! Ride to their relief!"

"Fight with all your courage my soldiers! Fight to the last man! Drive them back to Ahriman!"

"Thats it! Chase the cowards into oblivion! Ride, ride , ri-aaarrghh"

"Mardonius! The commander has been hit!"

"Press on and chase the routers! help me carry Mardonius out of the fray. The battle is ours but now we must battle for Mardonius's life"

*many hours later in a comfortable bed*

"Haa! Where is this, where are the Thracians! Why are you staring at me we must drive them out!"

"Calm down my lord, drink some of this and relax The battle was won... But... you took a good slash to your leg. You won't be able to walk for a while. But Ahuramazda has blessed us all with you're survival"

"Spitama! how the blazes did you survive the ambush! Why did'nt you report the enemy positions! You traitor! how dare you smirk before me in such a way!"

"My lord you told me to find the scouts - I rode ahead and down the mountain where i excpected to find them encamped and drunk as usual with the local women. But instead I saw a lot of bodies. Bodies but no heads... By the time i had ridden back up the mountain the battle was in its closing stages. After all, who do you think tended your wound?"

"Your a wily old man Spitama, but at least we won and got the men to safety... Wait... my leg, MY LEG! how can i fulfil my role as head of the army if i am a cripple! Cyrse this day Curse all Thracians!"

"Easy up Mardonius, your leg will heal in time without doubt. But you will be temporarily on holiday from you're post whilst you are resting"

"Who will take my place? Please tell me its not that Incompetent old Mede Datis!"

"That has not been decided yet, for now rest and remember your great victory today. For I assure you the Great king will not forget it"

Great story, as always Rez :wink: And you'll probably be able to make a story involving the Greeks soon, they're almost ready
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

Any other comments or critiques anyone?

Are there any suggestions for improvement next time?

Nice story, it took me 15 minitutes to see them all because of my connection, it worth its time!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Nice job as always Rez, a very nice prequel to Datis's battle with the Scyths. :original:
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

mmmm thats good stuff there rez....
    maybe i should do this for antiquity.....