Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: The migration of vlachs/romanians

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: The migration of vlachs/romanians

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    Even if the shepherds might have migrated every season to the Balkan mountains, it doesn't mean most of them didn't come back...
    they "migrated" during the winter in the plains of Romania and in the summer returned home in the mountains. But not all Romanians were shepherds!
    Last edited by Visarion; March 05, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Getwulf View Post
    I don't mean to upset you... Hey maybe you're a Dacian. That's fine... Or a Sarmatian or a Celt or a Bulgarian or a whatever... There is nothing wrong with that... You can go ahead and be whatever you feel is right.
    I want to be Inca
    In fact it seems very plausible to me that Incas migrated to Romania where they changed their name to Getae.
    Last edited by CiviC; March 05, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CiviC View Post
    I want to be Inca
    In fact it seems very plausible to me that Inca migrated to Romania where they changed their name to Getae.

Bai... Stii ca nici eu numai inteleg nimica...

Dar serios...

Esti tu de parere ca noi ne-am lasat batuti asa...?

Crezi tu ca Germanii aia care nu au cistigat un razboi vreodata sunt Gotii gloriosi...? Pai de unde pina unde erau ei in Tulcea... Sau in Oltenia... Sau in Moldova... Sau la Santana de Mures...? Si de ce limba lor Germana sau limbile Nordice nu suna deloc ca Gota lui Ulfila...?????????????

Nu cred ca e bine sa ii lasam pe ei sa ne ia istoria asta.
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

The fact that you're willing to sweep them under the rug just so that the Hungarians don't call us Vlach nomads... The Vlachs were quite influential in establishing Romania so let's leave it at that.
    If that makes your sleep easier, I can tell you both my magyar and slovak ancestors were ALSO most likely sheperds most of the times
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    If that makes your sleep easier, I can tell you both my magyar and slovak ancestors were ALSO most likely sheperds most of the times
    Yeah... I know what you mean...

Mine were "cowboys"... We had cattle!

Yeah...

Like I was saying to you Civic... Everyone knows that we don't take things laying down well...

Usually if you upset us... this is what happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46V2Jg6AujE&feature=fvst
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Artifex

This is very true. There are so many differences between Daco-Romanians (Romanians North of Danube) and Aromanians that we may consider them almost as two different ethnicities. First of all Aromanian dialect isn't mutual intelligible with Romanian proper (I can understand very well Italian, but anything in Aromanian except some words, but not an entier phrase). The Aromanian culture is also very different and not at least anthropologically Aromanians look different then Romanians.

So it's very hard for me to beleive Romanians come from Balkans when we have so little in common with Aromanians, the Eastern Romance people that always lived and stayed South of Danube. Even today, Aromanians that migrated in the last century in Romania are a different sub-ethnicity among Romanians.

If Romanians migrated from South of Danube around 1200 AD then there would be many common features between Romanians and Aromanians, still this isn't the case. The first documents in Romanian language appear around 1500, 300 years after the supposed migration of Romanians from Balkans. Well the Romanian language already appears in 1500 as today standard language and having nothing in common with Aromanian. If the split between Romanians and Aromanians was in 1200 AD, then only after 300 years those languages should have been still very similar. The Catalan and Castillian languages expanded on the footsteps of Reconquista without any major split between North and South.

The conclusion for such a big difference between Aromanian and Romanian language proper is the two evolved for a long time separately as descendants of Eastern Romance, North and South of Danube.
    Good thesis but you must remember that Romanians have a lot of dialects which differ much from the Standard Language. Also Titu Maiorescu introduced many neologisms in the 19th century from other Romance languages especialy French and Italian but also from the ever growing English, which has neologisms from French via Normans. Anyway like in Greece were Katharevusa was introduced to clean the language from Turkish, Arabian, Albanian, Slavic words Titu Maiorescu wanted to create a more Latin language and change the Slavic, Turkish and other Non-Latin words with Neo-Latin ones! Let's not hide this. Romanians were influenced in culture, language and genetics by the Slavic and Turkic migrations! Let's be opened to this! We still have many words of Slavic and Turkish origin now but in the begining of the 19th there were much more!

We have much in common with the Aromanians because our languages evolved together until the Slavic migration! The Aromanians are the Romanised Thracians from South of Danube that were pushed in the mountains by the Slavs that transitated Romania and then migrated further south! The local population of Romania retreated in the mountains for refuge after their towns were destroyed or taken over by Slavs, Bulgarians and other Turkic nations like the Cumans that gave birth to the first centralised state Wallachia under Tochomerius! Not all Romanians migrated in the Carpathians though, some remained in the plains under Turkic rule. With time like in Bulgaria, the ruling class of the Romanians of Turkic origin was replaced by Romanian voivodes.

The Aromanians migrated in Epirus, Northern Thessaly and Western Macedon where they probably met other Romanised people: Epirotes, Thessalians and Macedonians and got along. Of course not all Thessalians and Macedonians were Romanised! They were a lot influenced by Greek speaking neighbours from the plains where they went with their sheep in winter! The region was poorely inhabited because the Byzantines recruited most of the men from their army from mainland Greece. Southern Greece was repopulated with Albanians for instance! When the Ottomans conquered Anatolia a lot of Greeks there migrated in Greece!

About physionomy as I said before Romanians were a lot influenced in their looks by the Slavic and Turkic migration! And that is a good thing because we are very diverse! We have all kind of hair and eyes and I like it this way! Why Aromanians look different? Simple! They were a reclusive and isolated community and they lived in the mountains for centuries! they simply adapted to the environment! Because in the mountains is cold, the air has less oxygen and the atmospheric pressure is different, people that live in the mountains tend to get shorter, accumulate more fat and develop larger lungs! simple as that! Of course not all Aromanians live in the mountains! Some are tall and thin! My father has a saying: "The Aromanians that are tall and thin are Greeks!" Even if they are secluded they did mix with the Greeks and they can be considered as both Greek and Romanian!
    Last edited by Visarion; March 05, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

we have two testimonies!!

Getwulf you're simply Romanian,
    Maybe your family before being Romanian was Bulgarian and migrated North of Danube because Ottomans, and before being Bulgarian your family was Thraco-Roman or Hellenised Illyrian
    Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    My ancesters are from Macedonia, Greece and even if they established long ago in Romania they still speak Romaika alongside Romanian and use the appelative "Romios" when addresing to each other and guess what!? Romaika is Demotic Greek!

The Byzantine Empire was also called Roumania "The land of the Romans" because, yes Byzantines considered themselves Romans!
    Free Székely Land! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sz%C3%A9kely_Land
    Autonomy for Transylvania!

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    we have two testimonies!!
    Visarion has always stated that he is of Greek descent.

As for myself I'm not Bulgarian... and Bulgarian doesn't mean anything anyway. The Goths were very powerful in Bulgaria...

Omurtag Bulgaria Ruins of a Gothic Basilica
    Basilica

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Omurtag_3.jpg

And Moesia... Wallachia + Northern Bulgaria was where Wulfila translated the Bible into Gothic...

Oh noooo...

What... You're making a case for my argument...?
    Last edited by Getwulf; March 05, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Artifex

@ Piroska: I am half Greek and half Ukrainian so it doesn't count! I also live in Dobrudja where there are a lot of ethnic groups! this is not representative for the rest of Romania though! oh and Civic made a joke!

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

@ Piroska...

And what of yourself honey...?

Do you even have a race or a people...???
    Sai rodida Guthans!

@ Piroska...

And what of yourself honey...?

Do you even have a race or a people...???
    half venetian, half greek, half cuman

http://www.referate-scolare.ro/istor...TEA-LUI-MIHAI/

In timpul acestei campanii, 16 000 de tarani sarbi si bulgari fura stramutati pe malul nostru.
    here we find out that 16000 bulgarians-serbians came to north of the danube

http://www.proetnica.ro/ro/18/albanezi.html

Exista o atestare documentara a venirii in tara a 15.000 de albanezi cu familiile lor adusi de Mihai Viteazu, cu peste 400 de ani in urma.

exactly in the same period 15 000 albanians were colonized by Visarions avatar

this means 31 000 people
    in our times this approximately means 600 000 people

Artifex

mmm... sounds good!

Piroska answer my questions please.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

http://www.referate-scolare.ro/istor...TEA-LUI-MIHAI/

In timpul acestei campanii, 16 000 de tarani sarbi si bulgari fura stramutati pe malul nostru.
    here we find out that 16000 bulgarians-serbians came to north of the danube

http://www.proetnica.ro/ro/18/albanezi.html

Exista o atestare documentara a venirii in tara a 15.000 de albanezi cu familiile lor adusi de Mihai Viteazu, cu peste 400 de ani in urma.

this means 31 000 people
    in our times this approximately means 600 000 people
    Hmmm... That is surprising...! You're a mixed girl!
    I thought you were some ultra Hungarian nationalist. Unless you're making fun of me with that line and if you are then I have to admit that I don't understand.

Yes I know about the people that you speak...

I will tell you about them... In my ancestral home believe it or not near Bucharest. We build our houses with high fences. The houses were long and whitewashed.

When a house was built we would first mark out the four corners. There we would draw some runes on them and pray. I don't mean Norse runes... They're these markings that we make. At each corner we would bury a coin... We would also bury a bag full of money at the foundation. Then the house would be built.

People would come to our village to work. And we would hire them for day labor. All our houses were built on hills. Later on, the valley was settled by Bulgarians and some Serbs as you say... We didn't mix with them.

My grandfather tells me that one time a woman from our village married a Gypsie. A few days later the men burned her house down and drove them both out. (sure it isn't pretty but it is true).

The people were tall and handsome... Fair... But not like the Celts or British. I have only seen people like us in Iceland and Norway and only in some very localized communities. We have these "stergars"... They have "Gutaniowi Hailag" on them... Some have motifs of waves. I have seen crafts like that only in Iceland. The Bulgars would call out "nemtii" after us... That means "Germans"... but we would tell them... No you're wrong... We're not Germans...!

All my relatives are fair skinned some with blonde and red hair. But again not like the Celtic red, we're not like that. When I was born I had blonde hair. But the hair changed color and turned dark... Because of that some of my relatives called me "crowed up" or "the crow". Because my hair had turned dark...! They were only joking...
    Last edited by Getwulf; March 05, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Wolf View Post
    Piroska answer my questions please.
    responsum certa, hora incerta

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

responsum certa, hora incerta
    Huh...???

"Answer is certain... Hour is uncertain..." ...?

What's this about CW...? Or is it private...?
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

A paraphrase of mors certa, hora incerta.
    A mysterious phrase which one would rightly expect from a venetian vampire
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    If you look at these women from Southern Norway that Palantides put up... The women where I'm from look exactly like them... Just these ones in the photo... I mean freaking identical. I can see my mother's twin in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

This is a picture of someone's grandfather from Norway... (I think it was Haakon so be nice)... Ok... If you look at that blond man he is absolutely identical to one of my uncles who is now dead.

Yeah... and this is the thread where it was posted...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...35#post7525135

@ Odovacar...

Hey no worries bro...

We know you're cool!
    Last edited by Getwulf; March 05, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Sai rodida Guthans!

identical to one of my uncles who is now dead.
    and happy
    the entire scandinavia is laughing at you

Artifex

@ Getwulf! Sounds very interesting! aren't you Swab? You should make one of those genetic tests based on your Y chromosome and tell us all the result!

@ Piroska! Among the fact that you give as sources for your sayings an 8th grade homework, Mihai Viteazu used many mercenaries and about those Bulgarians and Serbians... maybe they were Romanians from Banat?
    Last edited by Visarion; March 05, 2011 at 02:58 PM.