Thread: Ability to name our own units in the SP Campaign.

Default Ability to name our own units in the SP Campaign.

Ok, so you can do this in E:TW and N:TW and it's become an important part of the game to me. Yes, I know it's just names, but it creates a personality and history around the units which make the experience much more immersive for me. See here for details if interested: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...t=naming+units

Anyway, it's now been confirmed that this feature of being able to name our own units will no longer be there in the SP Campaign.

I know I'm going to really miss this, so I propose it's reintroduction via a mod. I've no idea how hard this would be to implement with S2, but just thought I suggest here in the hope that others feel the same and have the skills to make it happen.
    Last edited by R.G.S.; March 08, 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Default Re: Ability to name our own units in the SP Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G.S. View Post
    Ok, so you can do this in E:TW and N:TW and it's become an important part of the game to me. Yes, I know it's just names, but it creates a personality and history around the units which make the experience much more immersive for me. See here for details if interested: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...t=naming+units

Anyway, it's now been confirmed that this feature of being able to name our own units will no longer be there in the SP Campaign.

I know I'm going to really miss this, so I propose it's reintroduction via a mod. I've no idea how hard this would be to implement with S2, but just thought I suggest here in the hope that others feel the same and have the skills to make it happen.
    I agree with you, I sometimes used to play and use the 'regiment name' to give a name for the colonel in command of that unit!
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Yeah, I really hope someone is able to 'fix' this. Such a small thing, the code is there already, it's not like it's a new feature or anything + it adds a lot more flavour the game IMO.

I simply can't see why CA chose to remove this, *especially* given that they are really pushing army/unit customisation for the MP, so it's not that they don't 'get it.'

This would be a wonderful addition as the current naming structure takes out the flavor of the armies.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Hmmmm I'm not sure how we'll implement a mod like this. On an added note I feel that a mod for this doesn't really work for Feaudal Japan. In the 1700s you had units called the 4th Westphalian Cavalry however I don't think in the Sengoku era they had units called 3rd Honshu Bowmen.

@Dynamo11

Whilst I do take your point, I like to get attached to my units and this is going to become difficult without the ability to name them. I know *very* little about this period of history so have no idea as to whether units were named or not, but surely there must have been *some* naming or numbering system?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I'd guess the ability to do this would be removed in the LUAC, but even if that is correct and it is possible to put it back, save games won't have the ability to record your units names.

I think you should just let this die, it's very unlikely that it's possible to re-implement.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I'd guess the ability to do this would be removed in the LUAC, but even if that is correct and it is possible to put it back, save games won't have the ability to record your units names.

I think you should just let this die, it's very unlikely that it's possible to re-implement.
    .Mitch is a scripting god so I'd listen to him

Thanks for the info Mitch.

Guess I'll just hope they decide to add it back in in a patch (unlikely I know) and keep my fingers crossed for the next TW game.

Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G.S. View Post
    Thanks for the info Mitch.

Guess I'll just hope they decide to add it back in in a patch (unlikely I know) and keep my fingers crossed for the next TW game.

Cheers guys.
    If the next game is 1814-1914 Total War then they'll probably add it back in

Funnily enough that's exactly when I hope they'll set it! .

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    If the next game is 1814-1914 Total War then they'll probably add it back in

given that that period ends 'unit' warfare i doubt that will be done in a total war game. Plus playing trench warfare would be mindlessly boring, which was too big a part of WW1 to ignore.

If they decide to do a Rome 2 TW then I hope there would be a naming system as Roman Legions had different names.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    Hmmmm I'm not sure how we'll implement a mod like this. On an added note I feel that a mod for this doesn't really work for Feaudal Japan. In the 1700s you had units called the 4th Westphalian Cavalry however I don't think in the Sengoku era they had units called 3rd Honshu Bowmen.

Ironically, I've seen several custom-named AI units, but unfortunately, I can't name my own.

Yeah, I thought I'd noticed that too... (AI unit names)

Is there anyway at all we can name our own units? Even if it means opening a text file somewhere in the game directory in between play sessions?

At least all the ships have names, even if we can't name them ourselves .

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Unit names can work just as well in this period I think, they just should all have the same name on recruitment.

I'd like to be able to "promote" a unit that saved the day in an impossible battle, renaming them to "honour guard" or "(insert general's name here)'s guard."