Thread: Remove colouring (gloss, atlas?)

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Default Remove colouring (gloss, atlas?)

This topic in short: I need to remove the colouring of some units in order to be able to apply colours directly to the texture, since I simply think it looks much better, and I'm having problems with this.

Well, I was trying to use the fixed version of these units:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=Russia&page=8

But it seems that they still get their colouring on top of the new textures (which causes parts of the textures to be pretty much black, since there are now colours and not just bright white underneath). Also, I'd like to retexture some of the other factions units aswell, so this could be good to know in the future.

In empire, it was just a matter of paining the things not to be coloured in black in the alpha layer of the gloss-file, which I have done. Now we also have this colour_mask.dds, which I've also coloured black. So it shouldn't apply any colours because of this. However, it still does, and in specific places aswell, so it's not that the files are messed up, it's just that something else is overriding it, or something else needs to be done. I've been looking some at these .atlas files, does something need to be done with them (frankly, I don't understand what to do with them at all)? or is there other files somewhere that cause the problem?

And can someone tell me if they have the same problem with these retextures?
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ls3g34ar8tldr8w (the russian ones I'm talking about).
    If others don't have the same problem, there might be a conflict with something here.
    Last edited by Ftmch; March 03, 2011 at 02:16 AM.

Default Re: Remove colouring (gloss, atlas?)

hmmm...well normally i would suggest that you black out the colour mask but you have already done that....perhaps do not edit the alpha channel in the gloss map. leave that as is. thats the only thing i can think of....
    Check out my brand new British and Prussian units and much much more in Marshall Beale's new masterpiece!

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

EDIT: Oh, this is a bit embarassing. I just noticed the Better Renders Mod has colour-masks of it's own, overwriting mine. That explains it, haha.
    HOWEVER, the textures are still quite messed up, with some black parts etc . :/ Feels like it has to do with the Atlas-files or something. I'm not sure. My graphics card has started to cause problems (I think), so I can't provide any screenshots right now.

I tried that aswell, but no luck. It's like the game isn't reading my colour-mask. Maybe I'm saving it the wrong way so that it can't be read by the game, and it skips it? If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't have to edit or include any atlas-files?

Right now, these are my settings:

DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha
    2D Texture
    Generate MIP maps - ALL

Are those the settings I should use?

Strangely enough, the game reads the new textures (unless I put the atlas-file from the game in the pack, then it doesn't), but not the colour-mask, with or without the atlas, doesn't matter. Also, I remember the russian textures working back when the game had been recently released, since I used them back then. So I'm thinking that maybe some patch takes priority since there are new colour-mask files in the patch3.pack.
    Last edited by Ftmch; March 03, 2011 at 09:27 AM.

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

YES, I managed to solve it. That last problem I had was just because I had another pack with the russian colour-mask in my data-folder which I used to experiment earlier, I hadn't activated it, but I must have saved it as a patch or something instead of a mod, so it was active anyway, conflicting with the other russians.

In short, I didn't really have a problem, I was just slightly stupid. Haha

hahaha nice one! nah all good man glad u figured it out
    Check out my brand new British and Prussian units and much much more in Marshall Beale's new masterpiece!