Thread: What is wrong with the civitates

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default What is wrong with the civitates

What happened?

Sigh, Honour and glory and myself are the only people that even vaguely addressed the thread. It was a chance to discuss a concept of Islam and maybe even learn something about the religion or at least discuss it (note it was a concept individual to Islam and bears no relation to a comparison with christianity) and it just turned into a duplicate of another thread. Doesn't that happen enough anyway without us deliberatly instigating it.

Two moderator notices were completely ignored by all civitates involved.

Civitates should be intelligent debaters surely. That intelligence should extend to posting in the right topics, or at least not duplicating a thread at the expense of another that showed potential.

Peter,
    Last edited by Denny Crane!; February 02, 2006 at 05:22 PM.

Wait...what's going on? Which thread are you talking about?

Lol...you cant force people to talk about what YOU want to talk about. All you can do is make good posts yourself and hope that someone else notices it and replies...then someone else will reply to the reply...and thats how threads evolve. Seriously, you cant enforce rigid rules of what can and can't be discussed in threads...we already do that with the ToS and with moderator enforcement, and luckily theyre pretty leniant about it, we really dont need even stricter rules about this.

Just make another post that you deem on topic and relevant, thats the way to gently nudge threads back on topic, or in whatever direction you want them to go. Scolding and reprimanding people for talking about whatever doesnt work.

edit: Oh, I just realized that this thread was aimed at me. Sorry! I've stopped discussing off topic things in that thread now, so dont fret anymore. My bad!
    Last edited by RZZZA; February 02, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

The thread was about Jihad and started by Oldgamer. It can be found here. I'm unsure as to why I know this...

I think that this is representative of a problem (I'm as guilty as anyone). Threads do shift around a bit but we should try to be mindful of the thread's topic when posting or start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    Lol...you cant force people to talk about what YOU want to talk about. All you can do is make good posts yourself and hope that someone else notices it and replies...then someone else will reply to the reply...and thats how threads evolve. Seriously, you cant enforce rigid rules of what can and can't be discussed in threads...we already do that with the ToS and with moderator enforcement, and luckily theyre pretty leniant about it, we really dont need even stricter rules about this.

Just make another post that you deem on topic and relevant, thats the way to gently nudge threads back on topic, or in whatever direction you want them to go. Scolding and reprimanding people for talking about whatever doesnt work.

edit: Oh, I just realized that this thread was aimed at me. Sorry! I've stopped discussing off topic things in that thread now, so dont fret anymore. My bad!
    Yes its not a case of people not being interested in a topic but say for instance they see the word islam or God and straight away without any reference to the original thread they force the topic to one which suits there agenda for pushing their personal opinion.

It was not aimed at you as it happens.

H+G: Sorry changed the title of the thread and forgot to put the topic in question in. It was Jihad: an islamic imperative.

Although this applies equally to all threads, if we want to discuss something so bad then make a topic on it.

Peter

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Well you can't write people off as doing that to a thread about a topic like that. Maybe they know nothing about it, or maybe just don't feel like it. I don't think it merits a whole new thread like this though.. Like RZZZA said, you can't force people to talk about things. Threads to shift to whole other topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_47
    Well you can't write people off as doing that to a thread about a topic like that. Maybe they know nothing about it, or maybe just don't feel like it. I don't think it merits a whole new thread like this though.. Like RZZZA said, you can't force people to talk about things. Threads to shift to whole other topics.
    Then you make new threads not post whatever you like in whatever thread. Did the concept of threads pass you buy?

Threads should progress, every single one does and the thread in question is actually shifting back on topic but it is a valid point that people when they have a particular agenda on a subjext will change any thread vaguely related to that topic to their line of attack on that subject.

Peter

Yes, but what i'm trying to say is that it is inevitable that threads get off topic once in a while. If that's the problem for you, then slowly get back into the original discussion with subtle posts and comments. You can't stop it, and you can't make people make new threads for their discussions. Just live with it.

Yes, but what i'm trying to say is that it is inevitable that threads get off topic once in a while. If that's the problem for you, then slowly get back into the original discussion with subtle posts and comments. You can't stop it, and you can't make people make new threads for their discussions. Just live with it.
    You missed a potentially key sentence in cowen70's post - there were two moderator warnings...

Whoops! Well still, I stick with what I say. SOmetimes even mods can't get the masses under control. Or rather, two or three people.

Whoops! Well still, I stick with what I say. SOmetimes even mods can't get the masses under control. Or rather, two or three people.
    Its a question of emotional intelligence, impassionate arguement, debating style and objectivity. Something that in a place where a lot of debate and arguement goes on would be something to work on. Admittedly I am not perfect but I thought it was a valid point to raise. Perhaps I was wrong.

Peter

Yes, I do believe the responsibility of the poster him/herself is to keep things on track and on topic so the topic in question can be discussed. Just, even with moderators help, discussion jump off the original tracks and go in another direction. The only answer there is hard crackdown on that sort of thing.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

its called a thread hijack, and can lead to great places, but i do worry about the way civitates get into mud slinging debates sometimes.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

cowen70, I took part in that thread, and if you look, I'm not sure which page, I had a pretty big debate with Ummon, who failed to see my point, but I did participate in that thread.

Adnan