Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Portugese faction

Icon5 Portugese faction

What if the Portugese attempted major campaigns to colonize Japan. It would add Portugal as a faction theyd control one coastal region. There units would be two or three Jappenese militia but most would be Portugese units like musketeers, dragoons, pikemen, and elite Aventuros, also gets large European ships. They have unique structures such as Colonial trading posts and Europeon fortifcations. There strength is much more advanced technology then the Samurai but there weaknes is surrounded by enamies and lack of territories at the start.

So what do you guys think its a bit of a twist hope you like my idea.

Default Re: Portugese faction

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin4 View Post
    What if the Portugese attempted major campaigns to colonize Japan. It would add Portugal as a faction theyd control one coastal region. There units would be two or three Jappenese militia but most would be Portugese units like musketeers, dragoons, pikemen, and elite Aventuros, also gets large European ships. They have unique structures such as Colonial trading posts and Europeon fortifcations. There strength is much more advanced technology then the Samurai but there weaknes is surrounded by enamies and lack of territories at the start.

It has definite potential I think. But the tech tree and general abilities would have to be reworked.

Diplomacy likewise would be difficult, because as soon as you would take land from any samurai, even one converted to Chrisandom, it would be easy enough for the Shogun to declar open season on you.

And those units you do have would likely be out of supply and worn down through sheer attrition.

... that is not to say it wouldn't be a fun challenge.
    Forward, march!

I'd love to see this personally, if possible.

MarkusAntonius's Avatar Tiro

yes we could add that armored units of empire and make them as the portuguese army and make a faction. or maybe the dutch spanish and portuguese togheter in one faction. the Nanban. i've seen the game has a european ship of that time what will help in the sea battles. the nanban could be an emergent faction.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusAntonius View Post
    yes we could add that armored units of empire and make them as the portuguese army and make a faction. or maybe the dutch spanish and portuguese togheter in one faction. the Nanban. i've seen the game has a european ship of that time what will help in the sea battles. the nanban could be an emergent faction.
    Well the Dutch Spain and Portugal were in the 80 years war but the Dutch could be a second European faction but for now just one. The Nanban could be in the tech tree and that they would provide them with allied Jappanese units with a building like "Nanban Military Outpost"

I forsee furious debates around this mod over which culture should have the strongest, bravest units and why. There shall be much suspending of users and closing of threads.

But yeah, as a very hypothetical "what if"-scenario, it would be pretty interesting I have to admit. But who would be given the virtually impossible and unfathomably delicate task of balancing the portoguese faction?
    ...lol, I wouldn't want to be that guy

Quote Originally Posted by TomteOfDoom View Post
    I forsee furious debates around this mod over which culture should have the strongest, bravest units and why. There shall be much suspending of users and closing of threads.

But yeah, as a very hypothetical "what if"-scenario, it would be pretty interesting I have to admit. But who would be given the virtually impossible and unfathomably delicate task of balancing the portoguese faction?
    ...lol, I wouldn't want to be that guy
    They didnt need to be stronger then any faction, equal in strengh among European factions, becouse that would be the more close to reality. why one should be ,more stronger then the other?? i dont get it. btw i dont recall Spain to had ever going to japan. But might be wrong, if im wrong pls someone clarify me. But i think the only europeans to made contact and trade with Japan during this era was Portugal, and the Ducth. However during this time Portugal had a Spanish King, Spain never participate in anyway, or had any relation in Portuguese colonies. Portugal would a mantain trade and relations with japan way after the independence from the Philip kings.
    Unless you are counting European mercenaries, This i know that the portuguese army in Asia, and colonies, would had manny Spanish, Italians too.
    allthough this might be interesting, i would say would be very unhistorical.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 02, 2011 at 12:47 AM.

Maiden_Ante's Avatar Semisalis

Interesting but would require modding of Japanese units (since they have more bones than earlier games I think the animations would be kind of messed up) and modification of the tech tree. Though I'm afraid they would be kind of navally overpowered, unless their ships are really expensive.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd love to see this coming true. "Barbarian" Europeans versus "barbarian" Japanese, simply awesome
    [Col] RO Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    I'd love to see this coming true. "Barbarian" Europeans versus "barbarian" Japanese, simply awesome
    So...you are a bit xenophobic today, aren't you?

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofilo View Post
    So...you are a bit xenophobic today, aren't you?
    Why would you think that, sir? I had no intention in being xenophobic, sir
    [Col] RO Citizen

They didnt need to be stronger then any faction, equal in strengh among European factions, becouse that would be the more close to reality. why one should be ,more stronger then the other?? i dont get it.
    Look here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=383203
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368218

This will happen here eventually. Some will be appalled if Portuguese and Japanese are equally good fighters and rave about why.
    Some will be outraged if the Japanese are better than the Portuguese and let you know all about it.
    Others will be suicidal if the mighty samurai are inferior to the terços and write essays explaining how this is wrong.

Just saying. Good luck with the project nonetheless.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Contrary to popular belief (?), the Portuguese always had a great and profound admiration for the Japanese and Japanese culture.

António Bocarro, 1635:
    The Japanese
    "The strength and courage of the Japanese in arms is such that there is no nation whatsoever which would dare to invade Japan; likewise their self-confidence and pride is greater than that of any other people yet discovered, wherefore wheresoever they go they are universally esteemed for their courage, and have proved it in deeds"
    -----

"Cópia das cartas do padre mestre Francisco", was printed in Coimbra in 1551.
    This illustrious Jesuit referred to the islands in the most flattering terms:

“The people who we have conversed are the finest amongst those that have been discovered till now: and it seems to me that amongst heathen peoples there are no others that match the Japanese. They are a people who speak very well, are generally upright and not malicious, people of great and marvellous honour who esteem honour above and beyond everything else

--------
    The close relationship/respect that always existed between these cultures - just an example- is expressed here: photos

http://www.google.pt/url?sa=t&source...2MqbLJAAvUtjkw

Japanese Hospital - Luís Almeida, Oita, Japan. (Portuguese surgeon/Jesuit)
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden_Ante View Post
    Interesting but would require modding of Japanese units (since they have more bones than earlier games I think the animations would be kind of messed up) and modification of the tech tree. Though I'm afraid they would be kind of navally overpowered, unless their ships are really expensive.
    I think adding the animations from ETW would be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    Why would you think that, sir? I had no intention in being xenophobic, sir
    Just kidding . You said that the Japanese and the Portuguese were "barbarians" .

Maybe you can port from ETW some conquistadores skins and some other units wich would perfectly fit . Make them landfall and start without a settlement and you have to capture your'e first province with the armies you get .

Portugal in Japan would be like Spain in the Americas. It would definitely be fun to play!

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin4 View Post

My good fellow, my ubber modding skillz are at your service!

Check out this Thread.

Portugal will be a fully playable faction with a unique unit roster.

As per a proof of concept, here is there Unit Banner.

Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    My good fellow, my ubber modding skillz are at your service!

Check out this Thread.

Portugal will be a fully playable faction with a unique unit roster.

As per a proof of concept, here is there Unit Banner.

Awsome thats just awsome I cant wait

I definitely support this mod proposal. The idea of a group of Portuguese adventurers trying to conquer at least part of Japan would make an enjoyable if incredibly difficult gaming task.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast