Thread: Post-Battle CTD (repeatable)

Default Post-Battle CTD (repeatable)

Repeatable problem - would blame settings but it crashes for me even if I turn them to minimum. Post-victorius battle CTD. To replicate, attack the leader outside the town with the sole Belgae army in the field to cause a snow battle in the woods. Win comprehensively and then I get the crash after clicking continue from battle result screen.

Win 7 doesn't provide much in the way of error messages I'm afraid so I didn't see the point of doing a screenshot of the 'Rome Total War - Alex.exe has stopped working, windows will now attempt to look for a solution' standard error box Win 7 always puts up.

- What OS do you use?

Win 7, 64-bit, SP1

- What version of RTW do you use?

Gold edition copied into Alexander folder (all patched to recommended patches - Alex is 1.9). RSII and 2.1a patch.

- Are you using steam or not?

No.

- Install path

C:\Rome Total War - Gold Edition

- Which launcher option have you used (exe, faction etc)

Alexander exe, Belgae faction, everything else default

If you are reporting a game CTD please provide the additional details

- system specifications, CPU, graphics card

AMD 1055T
    Radeon 5770 (11.2 drivers)
    4gb RAM

(not overclocked)

- graphic options selected (way too many options)

Everything on highest settings bar vegetation and unit detail. AA is disabled in game, enabled on video card as per instructions elsewhere.

- ideally a compressed save game immediately prior to the CTD so we can attempt to debug

Have one but unsure where to send to?
    Last edited by Zeb77; March 01, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Durepanya's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Post-Battle CTD (repeatable)

Hmm, try waiting 30 seconds until clicking continue.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Compress the save game file and then attach it using the 'attach files' feature in the 'advanced' view.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Attached.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

From your description...
    one question...Is there are garrison involved sallying from the town and an enemy army from outside ?

Yes, that's exactly the situation Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb77 View Post
    Yes, that's exactly the situation Chris.
    yeah..ok you can stop bothering about this. It has nothing to do with RSII
    because its a Rome Total War bug. The "Siege-Enemy Reinforcements-Sally-End Battle CTD"
    its always CTD when you click to continue at the end...for some unknown reason these battles are unplayable and Creative Assembly never fixed this bug (probably they could never really locate the problem)...you have to autoresolve this kind of battles or avoid them altogether...
    unfixable problem
    Last edited by chris10; March 02, 2011 at 08:23 AM.

Ok, thanks Chris10.

Having a nightmare with post-battle or mid-battle CTDs around towns and thought I'd finally nailed it to one I could replicate. Didn't play RTW vanilla enough to notice them to the same degree.

Will avoid the situation in future and hope for the best.

Ok, thanks Chris10.

Having a nightmare with post-battle or mid-battle CTDs around towns and thought I'd finally nailed it to one I could replicate. Didn't play RTW vanilla enough to notice them to the same degree.

Will avoid the situation in future and hope for the best.
    only the end battle ctds are related to this bug and only when involving a sallying army getting reinforced by an army from outside...
    all mid battle ctds are related to other stuff (lack of memory, graphics issues etc)
    go to advanced video options and check unit shaders on and high unit details off
    all vegetation to middle or low....its a memory hog

Will doublecheck options.

Thanks for the advice Chris10.

-- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please use the EDIT button

The "Siege-Enemy Reinforcements-Sally-End Battle CTD" seems to be present even if there are no reinforcements

Allowed the enemy stack to build and then attack my army, beat it, then took the town. Another enemy stack appears and sieges town but if I try to sally forth to clear them, then I crash at the end of the battle. Think the town must be cursed.

Tried playing with the settings, tried working around it but meh, no joy. Remember the old engine being glitchy as anything at times, but had forgotten just how much so.

Think I'll put R:TW aside again. Appreciate your attempts to help guys and from what I've seen of the mod it looks superb. Shame the base engine isn't more robust and stable (amongst a whole host of other things ).

Peace and good luck with your modding endeavours.
    Last edited by Brusilov; March 04, 2011 at 03:57 AM.

The "Siege-Enemy Reinforcements-Sally-End Battle CTD" seems to be present even if there are no reinforcements
    Allowed the enemy stack to build and then attack my army, beat it, then took the town. Another enemy stack appears and sieges town but if I try to sally forth to clear them, then I crash at the end of the battle. Think the town must be cursed.
    Tried playing with the settings, tried working around it but meh, no joy. Remember the old engine being glitchy as anything at times, but had forgotten just how much so.
    Think I'll put R:TW aside again. Appreciate your attempts to help guys and from what I've seen of the mod it looks superb. Shame the base engine isn't more robust and stable (amongst a whole host of other things ).
    Peace and good luck with your modding endeavours.
    strange ...I dont have CTDs at all...Over 100 hours without a single battle/campaign ctd (except for 2 for known engine problems)...and even more strange is that I use a brand new win7 system and run RTW even without XP compatibility mode... RTW is not unstable but it can go very bad under certain hardware/software combinations...
    if you have a ATI card for example some of the newer drivers causing battle CTDs...

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    strange ...I dont have CTDs at all...Over 100 hours without a single battle/campaign ctd (except for 2 for known engine problems)...and even more strange is that I use a brand new win7 system and run RTW even without XP compatibility mode... RTW is not unstable but it can go very bad under certain hardware/software combinations...
    if you have a ATI card for example some of the newer drivers causing battle CTDs...
    Funny story from some years ago was that I bug reported issues R:TW had with a particular Radeon card to both ATI and CA as well as the publisher. ATI and CA blamed each other and the publisher said that the graphics card should be returned under warranty as it was obviously faulty

One of those things I guess.
    Last edited by Zeb77; March 03, 2011 at 06:24 AM.