View Poll Results: Would you play a mod centered over The Kingdom of the Franks and their expansion during the Dark Ages?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 73.91%
  • No

5 10.87%
  • Yes and I would even help build it!

7 15.22%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charlemagne mod proposal

Default Charlemagne mod proposal

I have two Ideas I believe would be interesting mods. I'll begin with the first most obvious mod idea to never have had a mod, that I know of.

Charlemagne Total War, or Karl der Goße Total War, or Charles the Great Total War. Depending on you nationality and cultural preference.
    For those who need a little brush up on their Dark Age/Medieval history this guy was King of the Franks from 768 - 814 and was the first Emperor of the Romans, or more commonly called Holy Roman Emperor. Both the Kingdoms of Germany, and France as well as the defunkt Holy Roman Empire claim him as the Father of their Kingdoms. He is labeled Charles I in France and Karl I in Germany/HRE. Through marriage alliances pretty much all Western and some Eastern European Royalty share a blood line with this man. Oh yea he stopped the Moors advance into Europe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fr..._to_814-en.svg
    Last edited by chris7ian; March 07, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

Default Re: Two Mod Proposals

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael333 View Post
    Great idea.
    Thx man and I thought so as well but it seems others don't necessarily agree... I'll flush them out more to see if some experienced modders would like to run with it.

Charlemagne Total War Proposal:

Based of the map below:
    Factions

Kingdom of the Franks
    Bretons
    Frisia
    Saxons
    Obotrites
    Moravia and Czechs
    Serbs and Croats
    Lombards
    Burgundy
    Visigothic Kingdom of Toulouse
    faction for the christian spaniards, I don't know who that would be atm
    moors
    West Saxons
    East Anglians
    Wales
    Denmark
    Northumbria?
    Scotland?
    Ireland?
    Norway?
    Balts / Lithuania?
    Poles?

The last six I propose as question marks do to limitations of the regions and how big of a map is perfect for the desired detail.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/s...g?id=690700320

Not sure what the faction limit in Rome is but this proposal would really hit a lot of interest from various camps of fans out there: Serbian, Czechs, Lombards and Burgundians, still have a Visigoth faction, and German/Scandanavian Pagans. Oh yeah and the token muslims.
    Last edited by chris7ian; March 07, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Faction limit in Rome is 20 factions plus rebels.

Faction proposal:
    Kingdom of the Franks
    Bretons
    Frisia
    Saxons
    Obotrites
    Moravia and Czechs
    Serbs and Croats
    Lombards
    Burgundy
    Kingdom of Toulouse
    Visigoth Spain
    The Pope
    Moors
    West Saxons
    East Anglians
    Wales
    Denmark
    Avars
    Sicily (arabian)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

I especially like the charlemagne mod, mainly because I live in the center region of his empire

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Faction limit in Rome is 20 factions plus rebels.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael333 View Post
    Faction proposal:
    Kingdom of the Franks
    Bretons
    Frisia
    Saxons
    Obotrites
    Moravia and Czechs
    Serbs and Croats
    Lombards
    Burgundy
    Kingdom of Toulouse
    Visigoth Spain
    The Pope
    Moors
    West Saxons
    East Anglians
    Wales
    Denmark
    Avars
    Sicily (arabian)
    That looks like a great list and what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lolyousuck View Post
    I especially like the charlemagne mod, mainly because I live in the center region of his empire
    Thats exactly why I want an Ireland mod lol. I'm a very distant relative of Brian Boru, Ireland's most noted High King.

But as far as Charlemagne, or Karl der Goße, is concerned he DEMANDS a mod. How can you be the father of Western Europe and not have your own mod? It's a travesty. I don't know about France, and England, but every German King and Holy Roman Emporer is related to Karl der Große. Everyone all the way to Kaizer Wilhelm II which I think was the last one. Think of all the marriage alliances that Germans Kings and Emperor's had since he died with Sicily, Portugal, Spain, Aragon, France, England, Byzantium, Poland, Russia, and Denmark and possibly others.

I have never built a mod or a team for that matter so if anyone who is experienced wants to take this project on (for either proposal) feel free to as long as it has an english version I can play .
    Last edited by chris7ian; March 03, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Great work, and I'll help you were I can and when I have free time.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

I can help with map and text editing (mostly texts with maps and units) if you show me a map of the area you want to do I'll can try and make it!
    I love the charlemagne mod idea but i could also help with what ever one you want to run with

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

A Charlemagne mod would be something really wonderful! Moreover, it would be something new since, as far as I know, no one ever made a mod about the dark ages not centered in a particular area but including all europe!

What will the units be like, at least for the franks? I mean: except for the cavalry, do we have some sure informations about the franks' army in that period? Or even of the other kingdoms...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    Awesome Philip, some of the intricacies of Irish socio-political structure is very foreign to me and really could use all the help I can get from Irish modders.

Quote Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
    I can help with map and text editing (mostly texts with maps and units) if you show me a map of the area you want to do I'll can try and make it!
    I love the charlemagne mod idea but i could also help with what ever one you want to run with
    Great! Ill try and find a satellite image for you for both proposals. Not that I expect you to help on both but incase you are interested. These two proposals are roughly the same era, separated by about 150 years. I'm thinking maybe one mod with two campaigns? Ireland would focus on Ireland only with some invasions. Charlemagne would be center on france with Spain, England, Denmark, Poland, the Balkans and Italy being the borders of the map. I'll try to find that sat image asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinuz View Post
    A Charlemagne mod would be something really wonderful! Moreover, it would be something new since, as far as I know, no one ever made a mod about the dark ages not centered in a particular area but including all europe!

What will the units be like, at least for the franks? I mean: except for the cavalry, do we have some sure informations about the franks' army in that period? Or even of the other kingdoms...
    I agree about its uniqueness. To paraphrase Leonard Hofstadter, Charlemagne Total War meets a real need. We have a hit."

I haven't looked that far into the Franks yet, I have limited modding experience (just basic scripting), and was looking for an existing team or a group of expierenced modders to run with my idea. Charlemagne seemed so obvious I can't believe nobody else had the same idea as me. So I made the proposal in hopes of inspiring better modders than myself to take my idea as their own project. But I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to get this mod going.

Like you said nobody has cover the Franks of this time period. Its fresh not be hash and rehashed over and over. "Charlemagne" could take place during his fathers reign through his reign at four turns per year. I would prefer to start with Clovis and then continue through Charlemagnes reign. But thats not possible since we can't control the family tree. So the earliest we can start is when Charlemagne is 1 years old.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...814-en.svg.png
    As you can see from the map above, there is still a lot to be conquered during Charlemagne and his fathers reigns. We could also smudge the historical correctness a bit and take some other lands already Frankish controlled away for gameplay purposes.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Here are the two sat maps. I apologise if they aren't exactly as needed. I'm doing this from my local library and these pc's are crap and sloooooow. I had to make them with paint shop lol.

Western Europe
    Last edited by chris7ian; March 07, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    Awesome Philip, some of the intricacies of Irish socio-political structure is very foreign to me and really could use all the help I can get from Irish modders.

Great! Ill try and find a satellite image for you for both proposals. Not that I expect you to help on both but incase you are interested. These two proposals are roughly the same era, separated by about 150 years. I'm thinking maybe one mod with two campaigns? Ireland would focus on Ireland only with some invasions. Charlemagne would be center on france with Spain, England, Denmark, Poland, the Balkans and Italy being the borders of the map. I'll try to find that sat image asap.

I agree about its uniqueness. To paraphrase Leonard Hofstadter, Charlemagne Total War meets a real need. We have a hit."

I haven't looked that far into the Franks yet, I have limited modding experience (just basic scripting), and was looking for an existing team or a group of expierenced modders to run with my idea. Charlemagne seemed so obvious I can't believe nobody else had the same idea as me. So I made the proposal in hopes of inspiring better modders than myself to take my idea as their own project. But I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to get this mod going.

Like you said nobody has cover the Franks of this time period. Its fresh not be hash and rehashed over and over. "Charlemagne" could take place during his fathers reign through his reign at four turns per year. I would prefer to start with Clovis and then continue through Charlemagnes reign. But thats not possible since we can't control the family tree. So the earliest we can start is when Charlemagne is 1 years old.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...814-en.svg.png
    As you can see from the map above, there is still a lot to be conquered during Charlemagne and his fathers reigns. We could also smudge the historical correctness a bit and take some other lands already Frankish controlled away for gameplay purposes.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm breaking this thread up and moving the Ireland proposal to a new thread. You can find it here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...16#post9115916) once its done.

For Charlemagne Total War proposal we need people for the following positions:

Mod Leader
    Coder/Scripter
    2D/3D Artists
    Mapper/Text Editor
    Researchers

Those who have expressed interest are in no specific order:
    JuanPablo - Mapping and Texting
    Peteriscoolz - Mapping and Texting
    PhilipO'Hayda
    Valkar
    chris7ian - cheerleader, waterboy, scripter, mod founder

I mentioned everyone on each proposal since I didn't know if you were interested in both, just pm me if you would like to be on only one or the other.

I really would like to fill the mod leader position first and foremost, that way I can't mess up as much. If anyone has experience with leading a mod or worked closely with a mod leader and knows how to go about creating a finished mod and motivating a mod team please feel free to hit me up in the thread or pm me. Since I have to use the Library for internet, and I have no experience in a mod team, it just wouldn't be feasible for me to try and lead a team.
    Last edited by chris7ian; March 07, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Default Re: Charlemagne mod proposal

Well This is the map so far..... there are some parts that are water that arent supposed to be but I'll fix that in the next week or so

Last edited by juanpablo; March 09, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

chris7ian,is this going to be a mod for BI?
    I can make some faction symbols for croats and serbs later.
    BTW,good map,juanpablo. +rep
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

I can take the researcher position...I had already done this job for The Greek Wars total war

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

I can help a bit with research, and netherlands should look different. This is from the Eighty Years War mod

so should be more water, less land

ERIC_LZ's Avatar Laetus

good idea

Well This is the map so far..... there are some parts that are water that arent supposed to be but I'll fix that in the next week or so
    Great map! When I can rep again I will definitely send some your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    chris7ian,is this going to be a mod for BI?
    I can make some faction symbols for croats and serbs later.
    BTW,good map,juanpablo. +rep
    Yes for BI. Sounds great because I have very little knowledge of the Balkans. We would also need a researcher for the Balkan peoples as well.

I can take the researcher position...I had already done this job for The Greek Wars total war
    Thanks lolusuck and Cinuz. Once we get a Mod Leader who knows how best to proceed we can start dividing up research based on your guy's preferences.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast