View Poll Results: Historical accuracy or Royalist gameplay?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Historical accuracy, royalists remain in revolutionary campaign and custom battles

13 22.81%
  • Playable Royalists (à la civil war)

44 77.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royalist France

Default Re: Royalist France

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Soult View Post
    since the grand campaign starts in 1790, the Royalists should be based at Bordeaux or Rennes, the strong points of the chouan counter-revolution
    I would say of the two, Rennes makes the most sense. Bordeaux is too strongly associated with the Girondins, who voted for the overthrow of the monarchy and for war with Austria in 1792.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I don't think buying the DLC would be needed to give the Gentlemen provacteur abilliies. And Marseilles probably would be the Royalist capital and put the Royalists and Rebels on even ground since both Paris and Marseilles are major cities. Not to mention give the rebels a goal to take a port so they could trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    I don't think buying the DLC would be needed to give the Gentlemen provacteur abilliies. And Marseilles probably would be the Royalist capital and put the Royalists and Rebels on even ground since both Paris and Marseilles are major cities. Not to mention give the rebels a goal to take a port so they could trade.
    That seems a good idea to me, But dont let the European powers interfere with the destruction of the royalists until 1792!!!!!!!
    Then my Austrian Imperial and Royal army could smash them!

soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

In don't agree with Marseilles being a Royalist capital. It rebelled because it was anti-Jacobin not Royalist. Toulon would make more sense as it opened the city to the British in 1790.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    In don't agree with Marseilles being a Royalist capital. It rebelled because it was anti-Jacobin not Royalist. Toulon would make more sense as it opened the city to the British in 1790.
    Toulon is close enough to Marseille, it's in the same region on the map and is a port town. So it can't be a capital. It may be possible to make the people of Marseille angry and not satisfied with the Royalists, though.

Marseille could probably be considered in the Royalists "Ring of Influence" maybe and so the Royalists have control over it.

Remember this is the thread where the decision whether to compromise or not is made. Frankly it seems as though gameplay will be dominant over historical accuracy, so I think the decision to make Marseilles Royalist is acceptable: The alternative is to put a half-stack of royalist troops in Toulon, which will inevitably capture Marseilles in the first turn. Might as well just make it seem as though it has already fallen under Royalist control.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

I think the Royalist areas should try to reflect history as accurately as possible. In that context, if we can't give them Toulon what about areas like Lorraine, Brittany (where the Chouan revolt occurred) and Rouen which were pro-Royalist at the time? Remember that during the Flight to Varennes Louis was trying to get to Montmedy in Lorraine where a Royalist army was based.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

I thought they (The royal family) were making a break for the Austrian border...
    No Frog will take MY fusiliers! Click here for some of my Historical Fiction:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=393678 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...79#post8467779

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Horatius View Post
    I thought they (The royal family) were making a break for the Austrian border...
    Well Montmedy is close to it (Belgium was then under Austrian-rule) and there was a heavily-fortified Royalist garrison there and historians say he was headed there. The plan was to get to Montmedy, and possibly to use the army to against the Revolutionary Government in a counter-revolution.

A Royalist province in the Vendee would be great too.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; March 06, 2011 at 09:48 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Brittany was always going to be the original stronghold of the Royalists. Marseilles was included to give them some stopping power and because of its proximity with Toulon. Considering your suggestions, yeah it would be nice if, in addition to these two provinces, they had a few scattered armies in those areas. The thing is, alone I dont think they should be even half as strong as the Revolutionaries, and would require the other royalist nations of Europe to join them in their struggle almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by King Musa View Post
    Brittany was always going to be the original stronghold of the Royalists. Marseilles was included to give them some stopping power and because of its proximity with Toulon. Considering your suggestions, yeah it would be nice if, in addition to these two provinces, they had a few scattered armies in those areas. The thing is, alone I dont think they should be even half as strong as the Revolutionaries, and would require the other royalist nations of Europe to join them in their struggle almost immediately.

With this game's AI? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post

With this game's AI? I don't think so.
    I mean for the Royalists to survive whilst player controlled. If the player is controlling another Royalist power, it will be up to him/her whether to intervene or not, and even then, survival of Royalist France wouldnt be guaranteed seeing as its position is so weak. Also, if their home base is in Brittany, would it be possible to liberate the region as Royalist if the faction died out before?

brilliant idea here replace religion with republican sentiment. Using sort of semi precher type units you could then engineer revolution. So britian could send them over to france and then royalists would rebel in those areas

also make the differnecein relatiions between government types majorly drastic so that you dont stay allied to nations that have had a rebwllion

I don't know if this would be appropriate for this section but French royalist uniforms from Quiberon http://warandgame.com/2010/01/10/emigres/
    It would definatly be bad ass to have them but alas I am no good with anything but research.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I think Marseilles would be good as the Royalist capital, as it is a major town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12